Quadriceps strength and volitional activation before and after total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 775–779, September 2003
How to Cite
Stevens, J. E., Mizner, R. L. and Snyder-Mackler, L. (2003), Quadriceps strength and volitional activation before and after total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 775–779. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00052-4
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2002
- 1Effects of lower limb unloading on skeletal muscle mass and function in humans. J Appl Physiol 1991; 70(4): 1882–5., , , , .
- 2A comparison of isokinetic strength testing and gait analysis in patients with posterior cruciate-retaining and substituting knee arthroplasties. J Arthroplasty 1998; 13(8): 906–15., , , , , , et al.
- 3Rehabilitation after total joint replacement for osteoarthritis: an evidence-based approach. Philadelphia: Hanley and Belfus, Inc.; 2001., , .
- 4Quadriceps strength in women with radiographically progressive osteoarthritis of the knee and those with stable radiographic changes. J Rheumatol 1999; 26(11): 2431–7., , , , , , et al.
- 5Is lower extremity strength gain associated with improvement in physical performance and disability in frail, community-dwelling elders? Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79(1): 24–30., , , .
- 6Older adults can maximally activate the biceps brachii muscle by voluntary command. J Appl Physiol 1998; 84(1): 284–91., .
- 7Knee extensor strength, activation, and size in very elderly people following strength training. Muscle Nerve 1999; 22(7): 831–9., , .
- 8Skeletal muscle responses to lower limb suspension in humans. J Appl Physiol 1992; 72(4): 1493–8., , , .
- 9Hybrid total knee arthroplasty: a 3- to 6-year outcome analysis. J Formos Med Assoc 1998; 97(6): 410–5., , , .
- 10Available from: http://www.aaos.org/wordhtml/press/hip_knee.htm; 1995.
- 11Comparison of muscle strength of posterior cruciate-retained versus cruciate-sacrificed total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1998; 13(7): 779–83., , , .
- 12The influence of arthrogenous muscle inhibition on quadriceps rehabilitation of patients with early, unilateral osteoarthritic knees. Br J Rheumatol 1993; 32(2): 127–31., .
- 13Improvements in quadriceps sensorimotor function and disability of patients with knee osteoarthritis following a clinically practicable exercise regime. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37(11): 1181–7., .
- 14Development of a patient-reported measure of function of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80(8): 1132–45., , , , .
- 15Quantitation of central activation failure during maximal voluntary contractions in humans. Muscle Nerve 1996; 19(7): 861–9., .
- 16Reliability and responsiveness of three different pain assessments. J Rehabil Med 2001; 33(6): 279–83., , , , , , et al.
- 17Evaluation of quadriceps strength and voluntary activation after unicompartmental arthroplasty for medial osteoarthritis of the knee. J Orthop Res 2002; 20(1): 108–11., , .
- 18Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of four knee outcome scales for athletic patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001; 83-A(10): 1459–69., , , , , , et al.
- 19Pain management after total joint replacement and its impact on patient outcomes. Aorn J 1999; 70(6): 1060–2..
- 20Quadriceps weakness in knee osteoarthritis: the effect on pain and disability. Ann Rheum Dis 1998; 57(10): 588–94., , , .
- 21Strength training and neuromuscular function in elderly people with total knee endoprosthesis. Scand J Med Sci Sports 1992; 2: 234–43., , , , .
- 22Preoperative physical therapy in primary total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1998; 13(4): 414–21., , , , , .
- 23Effects of immobilization on plantar-flexion torque, fatigue resistance, and functional ability following an ankle fracture. Phys Ther 2000; 80(8): 769–80., , , , , , et al.
- 24Reflex inhibition of the quadriceps femoris muscle after injury or reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1994; 76(4): 555–60., , , , .
- 25Measurement of central activation failure of the quadriceps femoris in healthy adults. Muscle Nerve 2000; 23(11): 1706–12., , , .
- 26Characterization of the human quadriceps muscle in active elders. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2001; 82(7): 973–8., , .
- 27Functional and morphological adaptations following four weeks of knee immobilization. Int J Sports Med 1993; 14(5): 283–7., , , , .
- 28Physical impairments and functional limitations: a comparison of individuals 1 year after total knee arthroplasty with control subjects. Phys Ther 1998; 78(3): 248–58., , , .
- 29Strength is a major factor in balance, gait, and the occurrence of falls. J Gerontol A: Biol Sci Med Sci 1995; 50, Spec No: 64–7., , , .