Relationship of knee joint proprioception to pain and disability in individuals with knee osteoarthritis
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 792–797, September 2003
How to Cite
Bennell, K. L., Hinman, R. S., Metcalf, B. R., Crossley, K. M., Buchbinder, R., Smith, M. and McColl, G. (2003), Relationship of knee joint proprioception to pain and disability in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 792–797. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00054-8
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2003
- The National Health and Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 114277
- 1Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arth Rheum 1986; 29: 1039–49., , , et al.
- 2Arthritis Foundation of Australia. The prevalence, cost and disease burden of arthritis in Australia. Canberra: Access Economics Pty Ltd.; 2001.
- 3Quantitative estimates of the impact of the aging population on the need for rheumatological services: an international comparison. Arth Rheum 1992; 35: S177., .
- 4Impact of disablement due to rheumatic disorders in a British population: estimates of severity and prevalence from the Calderdale Rheumatic Disablement Survey. Ann Rheum Dis 1993; 52: 6–13., .
- 5Abnormal knee joint position sense in individuals with patellofemoral pain syndrome. J Orthopaed Res 2002; 20: 208–14., , , et al.
- 6Effect of articular disease and total knee arthroplasty on knee joint-position sense. J Neurophys 1983; 50: 684–7., , , .
- 7Joint proprioception in normal, osteoarthritic and replaced knees. JBJS 1991; 73B: 53–6., , .
- 8Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol 1988; 15: 1833–40., , , et al.
- 9Experimental muscle pain produces central modulation of proprioceptive signals arising from jaw muscle spindles. Pain 2000; 86: 151–62., .
- 10Spindle gain increase during muscle unit fatigue. Brain Res 1986; 365: 388–92., .
- 11Factors associated with functional impairment in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatism 2000; 39: 490–6., , .
- 12Knee osteoarthritis and physical functioning: evidence from the NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study. J Rheumatol 1991; 18: 591–8., , , .
- 13The prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study. Arth Rheum 1987; 30: 914–8., , , et al.
- 14The incidence and natural history of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study. Arth Rheum 1995; 38: 1500–5., , , et al.
- 15Neural system of the human posterior cruciate ligament in osteoarthritis. J Arthrop 1995; 10: 679–82., , .
- 16Reliability of gait measurements in people with osteoarthritis of the knee. Phys Ther 1997; 77: 944–53., , .
- 17Joint reposition sense in subjects with unilateral osteoarthritis of the knee. Clin Rehabil 1999; 13: 148–55., .
- 18The effects of specific medical conditions on the functional limitations of elders in the Framingham Study. Am J Pub Health 1994; 84: 351–8., , , et al.
- 19Effect of pain reduction on postural sway, proprioception, and quadriceps strength in subjects with knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2002; 61: 422–8., , , .
- 20Static postural sway, proprioception, and maximal voluntary quadriceps contraction in patients with knee osteoarthritis and normal control subjects. Ann Rheum Dis 2001; 60: 612–8., , .
- 21Elevated intramuscular concentration of bradykinin in jaw muscles increases the fusimotor drive to neck muscles in the cat. J Dent Res 2000; 79: 1815–22., , , et al.
- 22A new test of dynamic standing balance for stroke patients: reliability, validity and comparison with healthy elderly. Physioth Can 1996; 48: 257–62., , , et al.
- 23Current concepts review: mechanoreceptors in joint function. JBJS 1998; 80-A: 1365–78., .
- 24Sensorimotor changes and functional performance in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1997; 56: 641–8., , , .
- 25Visual analogue scales. In: MelzackR, editor. Pain measurement and assessment. New York: Raven; 1983..
- 26Human walking. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1981., , .
- 27Proprioception and joint stability. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 1996; 4: 171–9., .
- 28Neurophysiology of joints. In: WrightV, RadinE, editors. Mechanics of human joints: physiology, pathophysiology, and treatment. New York: Dekker; 1993., .
- 29Knee pain and knee osteoarthritis severity in self-reported task specific disability—the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. J Rheumatol 1997; 24: 1344–9., , , et al.
- 30The epidemiology of chronic rheumatism: atlas of standard radiographs. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific; 1963., , .
- 31Comparison of proprioception in arthritic and age-matched normal knees. JBJS 2000; 82-A: 1582–8., .
- 32Estimates of the prevalence of selected arthritic and musculoskeletal diseases in the United States. J Rheumatol 1989; 16: 427–41., , , et al.
- 33The role of proprioception in the management and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Am J Sports Med 1997; 25: 130–7., , , .
- 34Economics of osteoarthritis: a global perspective. Baill Clin Rheumatol 1997; 11: 817–34., .
- 35Correlation between knee position sense measurements and disease severity in persons with osteoarthritis. Rev Rheum 1994; 61: 365–72..
- 36An investigation of the influence of age, clinical status, pain and position sense on stair walking in women with osteoarthrosis. Int J Rehabil Res 1994; 17: 151..
- 37Proprioceptive sensibility in women with normal and osteoarthritic knee joints. Clin Rheum 1993; 12: 170–5., , .
- 38Effects of localization and intensity of experimental muscle pain on ankle joint proprioception. Euro J Pain 2002; 6: 245–60., , .
- 39Determinants of disability in osteoarthritis of the knee. Ann Rheum Dis 1993; 52: 258–62., , , .
- 40Knee joint effusion and proprioception. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1995; 76: 566., , , et al.
- 41Effect of age and osteoarthritis on knee proprioception. Arth Rheum 1997; 40: 2260–665., , , .
- 42Gait analysis: normal and pathologic function. Thorofare: Slack Inc.; 1992..
- 43The timed ‘up and go’: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 1991; 39: 142–8., .
- 44Analysis of disability in knee osteoarthritis. Relationship with age, psychological variables, but not with radiographic score. J Rheumatol 1991; 18: 1581–6., , , .
- 45Afferent and spinal mechanisms of joint pain. Pain 1993; 55: 5–54., .
- 46Is knee joint proprioception worse in the arthritic knee versus the unaffected knee in unilateral knee osteoarthritis. Arth Rheum 1997; 40: 518–1525., , , .
- 47Joint position sense in total knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Res 1984; 1: 276–83., , .
- 48Aftereffects of resisted muscle contractions on the accuracy of joint position sense in elite male athletes. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79: 1250–6., , .
- 49Knee joint mobility and position sense in healthy young adults. Physiotherapy 2002; 88: 553–60., , .
- 50Predictors of four functional tasks in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Orthop Nurs 2000; 19: 49–58., , , et al.
- 51Pain and disability in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee—the relationship with articular, kinesiological, and psychological characteristics. J Rheumatol 1998; 25: 125–33., , , et al.