The effect of total hip arthroplasty surgical approach on gait
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 44–50, January 2004
How to Cite
Madsen, M. S., Ritter, M. A., Morris, H. H., Meding, J. B., Berend, M. E., Faris, P. M. and Vardaxis, V. G. (2004), The effect of total hip arthroplasty surgical approach on gait. J. Orthop. Res., 22: 44–50. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00151-7
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2003
- Indiana University, School of Health, Physical Education
- Recreation Student Research Grant-in-Aid
- 1Abductor function after total hip replacement: an electromyographic and clinical review. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1989; 71B: 47–50., .
- 2Surgical approaches. In: CrenshawAH, editor. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 8th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Year Book, Inc; 1992..
- 3A gait analysis data collection and reduction technique. Hum Movement Sci 1991; 10(5): 575–87., , , .
- 4Hip abductor strength following total hip arthroplasty: a prospective comparison of the posterior and lateral approach in 100 patients. Acta Orthop Scand 2001; 72(3): 215–20., , , et al.
- 5Translateral surgical approach to the hip. Clin Orthop 1993; 295: 135–41., , .
- 6Anterolateral compared to posterior approach in total hip arthroplasty: differences in component positioning, hip strength, and hip motion. Clin Orthop 1982; 165: 180–7., , , .
- 7A relationship between stem orientation and function following total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1991; 6(3): 229–35., , .
- 8Gait compensations in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip and their relationship to pain and passive hip motion. J Orthop Res 1997; 15(4): 629–35., , , et al.
- 9Bone density, dynamic joint loading and joint degeneration. Cells Tissues Organs 2001; 169: 201–9., , .
- 10Functional recovery of noncemented total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1993; 288: 73–7., , , .
- 11Dislocation after total hip arthroplasty using the anterolateral abductor split approach. Clin Orthop 1999; 358: 166–72., , , et al.
- 12Vertical ground reaction forces: objective measures of gait following hip arthroplasty. Gait Posture 2001; 14: 104–9., , .
- 13Kinesiologic measurements of functional performance before and after McKee–Farrar total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1972; 54A: 237–56., , .
- 14Walking patterns of patients with unilateral hip pain due to osteo-arthritis and avascular necrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1971; 53A: 259–74., , .
- 15National Center for Health Statistics. 1991–2000 National Hospital Discharge Survey.
- 16Three-dimensional gait analysis in women with a total hip arthroplasty. Clin Biomech 2000; 15: 504–15., , , .
- 17Pre- and post-operative gait analysis of hip osteoarthritic patients fitted with ceramic Autophor total hip replacement. Eng Med 1988; 17: 3–6., .
- 18Comparative outcomes of total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1995; 10(6): 737–41., , , et al.
- 19A clinical comparison of the anterolateral and posterolateral approaches to the hip. Clin Orthop 2001; 385: 95–9., , , et al.
- 20Clinical and biomechanical analysis of gait following charnley total hip replacement. Clin Orthop 1974; 99: 71–7., , .
- 21Using multivariate statistics. 4th ed. Needham Heights, MA, USA: Allyn & Bacon; 2001., .
- 22Gait analysis of patients with osteoarthritis of the hip and those with total hip arthroplasty. Biomed Mater Eng 1998; 8: 187–96..
- 23Isometric hip abductor strength following total hip replacement and its relationship to functional assessments. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 1993; 18: 526–31., , , .
- 24A comparison of the anterolateral, transtrochanteric, and posterior surgical approaches in primary total hip arthoplasty. Clin Orthop 1984; 188: 152–9., .
- 25Gait analysis in the assessment of functional performance before and after total hip replacement. J Biomed Eng 1981; 3: 121–7., , .
- 26The use of virtual heel markers to measure walking base in clinical gait analysis. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on the 3D Analysis of Human Movement. 2000. p. 70–72..