Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 110–115, January 2004
How to Cite
Lewek, M. D., Rudolph, K. S. and Snyder-Mackler, L. (2004), Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. J. Orthop. Res., 22: 110–115. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00154-2
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 16 DEC 2002
- 1Extent of motor unit activation during effort. J Appl Physiol 1981; 51: 1131–5., .
- 2Quadriceps strength in women with radiographically progressive osteoarthritis of the knee and those with stable radiographic changes. J Rheumatol 1999; 26: 2431–7., , , , , , et al.
- 3Twitch interpolation technique in testing of maximal muscle strength: influence of potentiation, force level, stimulus intensity and preload. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1993; 67: 462–6., , , .
- 4Differential strength decline in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: revision of a hypothesis. Arthritis Care Res 1993; 6: 89–96., , .
- 5Static postural sway, proprioception, and maximal voluntary quadriceps contraction in patients with knee osteoarthritis and normal control subjects. Ann Rheum Dis 2001; 60: 612–8., , .
- 6The effects of joint damage on muscle function, proprioception and rehabilitation. Man Ther 1997; 2: 11–7..
- 7The role of muscle weakness in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1999; 25: 283–98..
- 8Arthrogenic quadriceps inhibition and rehabilitation of patients with extensive traumatic knee injuries. Clin Sci (Lond) 1994; 86: 305–10., , .
- 9Improvements in quadriceps sensorimotor function and disability of patients with knee osteoarthritis following a clinically practicable exercise regime. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37: 1181–7., .
- 10Sensorimotor changes and functional performance in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1997; 56: 641–8., , , .
- 11Voluntary muscle activation varies with age and muscle group. J Appl Physiol 2002; 93: 457–62., .
- 12The role of the quadriceps in controlling impulsive forces around heel strike. Proc Inst Mech Eng [H] 1990; 204: 21–8., , , , .
- 13Quantitation of central activation failure during maximal voluntary contractions in humans. Muscle Nerve 1996; 19: 861–9., .
- 14Specific strength and voluntary muscle activation in young and elderly women and men. J Appl Physiol 1999; 87: 22–9., .
- 15Evaluation of quadriceps strength and voluntary activation after unicompartmental arthroplasty for medial osteoarthritis of the knee. J Orthop Res 2002; 20: 108–11., , .
- 16Quadriceps muscle function after high tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis of the knee. Clin Orthop 2002; 177–83., , , , .
- 17Osteoarthritis of the knee: effects on gait, strength, and flexibility. rch Phys Med Rehab 1992; 73: 29–36., , , , .
- 18Relationship between quadriceps strength and rate of loading during gait in women. J Orthop Res 2000; 18: 171–5., , .
- 19Superimposed single impulse and pulse train electrical stimulation: a quantitative assessment during submaximal isometric knee extension in young, healthy men. Muscle Nerve 1999; 22: 1038–46., , .
- 20The twitch interpolation technique for the estimation of true quadriceps muscle strength. Clin Physiol 1997; 17: 523–32., , , .
- 21Quadriceps weakness in knee osteoarthritis: the effect on pain and disability. Ann Rheum Dis 1998; 57: 588–94., , , .
- 22Quantitative evaluation of joint space width in femorotibial osteoarthritis: comparison of three radiographic views. Osteoarthr Cartilage 1998; 6: 252–9., , , , , .
- 23Relationship between lower limb dynamics and knee joint pain. J Orthop Res 1991; 9: 398–405., , , , .
- 24Reduced quadriceps strength relative to body weight: a risk factor for knee osteoarthritis in women? Arthritis Rheum 1998; 41: 1951–9., , , , , , et al.
- 25Measurement of central activation failure of the quadriceps femoris in healthy adults. Muscle Nerve 2000; 23: 1706–12., , , .
- 26Maximum voluntary activation in nonfatigued and fatigued muscle of young and elderly individuals. Phys Ther 2001; 81: 1102–9., , , , , .
- 27Characterization of the human quadriceps muscle in active elders. Arch Phys Med Rehab 2001; 82: 973–8., , .