The nature of anterior knee pain following injection of hypertonic saline into the infrapatellar fat pad
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 116–121, January 2004
How to Cite
Bennell, K., Hodges, P., Mellor, R., Bexander, C. and Souvlis, T. (2004), The nature of anterior knee pain following injection of hypertonic saline into the infrapatellar fat pad. J. Orthop. Res., 22: 116–121. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00162-1
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 14 APR 2003
- National Health and Medical Research Council. Grant Number: #209064
- NHMRC. Grant Number: #209064
- 1The influence of low back pain on muscle activity and coordination during gait: a clinical and experimental study. Pain 1995; 64: 231–40., , , .
- 2Basic science of the knee. In: McGintyJG, editor. Operative arthroscopy. New York: Raven Press; 1991. p. 165–6..
- 3Clinical sports medicine. 2nd ed. Sydney: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc; 2001., .
- 4The fat pad. Clinical observations. Am J Knee Surg 1996; 9: 55–66., , .
- 5Conscious neurosensory mapping of the internal structures of the human knee without intraarticular anaesthesia. Am J Sports Med 1998; 26: 773–7., , .
- 6Experiments of pain referred from deep tissues. J Bone Joint Surg 1954; 36: 981–97., , , .
- 7Stimulus-response functions in areas with experimentally induced referred muscle pain—a psychophysical study. Brain Res 1997; 744: 121–8., , , .
- 8Quantification of deep and superficial sensibility in saline-induced muscle pain—a psychophysical study. Somatosens Motor Res 1998; 15: 46–53., , , et al.
- 9The influence of the adipose tissue with regard to the pathology of the knee joint. J Am Med Ass 1904; 43: 795–6..
- 10MR imaging of the infrapatellar fat pad of Hoffa. Radiographics 1997; 17: 675–91., , , et al.
- 11Observations of referred pain arising from muscle. Clin Sci 1938; 3: 175–90..
- 12Nerve supply of the human knee and its functional importance. Am J Sports Med 1982; 10: 239–335., , .
- 13Thin-fibre receptors responding to mechanical, chemical, and thermal stimulation in the skeletal muscle of the dog. J Physiol 1997; 273: 179–94., .
- 14Hoffa disease. Ital J Orthopaed Traumatol 1991; 17: 211–6., , , .
- 15The McGill pain questionnaire: major properties and scoring methods. Pain 1975; 1: 277–99..
- 16Hoffa's disease: arthroscopic resection of the infrapatellar fat pad. Arthroscopy: J Arthr Rel Surg 1994; 10: 184–7., .
- 17Functional analysis of group III afferent fibres of mammalian muscles. J Physiol 1960; 152: 250–70..
- 18Jaw and facial surface electromyographic response to experimental masseter pain in the relaxed state. J Dent Res 1991; 70: 554., , .
- 19Fat pad impingement; A missed cause of patello-femoral pain. Aust J Sci Med Sport 1991; 23: 24–6., , .
- 20Anterior knee pain syndrome. Internat Orthopaed 1999; 23: 341–4..
- 21Distribution of substance-P nerve fibers in the knee joint of patients with anterior knee pain. A preliminary report. Knee Surg, Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 1999; 7: 177–83., .