These authors made equal contributions to this work.
Bone healing in the rat and dog with nonglycosylated BMP-2 demonstrating low solubility in fibrin matrices
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 376–381, March 2004
How to Cite
Schmoekel, H., Schense, J. C., Weber, F. E., Grätz, K. W., Gnägi, D., Müller, R. and Hubbell, J. A. (2004), Bone healing in the rat and dog with nonglycosylated BMP-2 demonstrating low solubility in fibrin matrices. J. Orthop. Res., 22: 376–381. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00188-8
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2003
- 1Principles of tissue engineering applied to programmable osteogenesis. J Biomed Mater Res 1998; 43: 365–73., .
- 2Handbook of small animal orthopedics and fracture treatment. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 1990. p. 534–35., , .
- 3The many faces of metalloproteases: cell growth, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis. Trends Cell Biol 2001; 11: S37–43., .
- 4Osteogenic protein-1: biology and applications. Clin Orthop Rel Res 1996; 324: 29–38., .
- 5European-Agency-for-the-Evaluation-of-Medicinal-Products: Cp-mp/0393/01, 2001. Available: http://www.eudra.org/humandocs/humans/epar/osteogenicprotl/osteogenicprotl.htm.
- 6Augmentation of autograft using rhBMP-2 and different carrier media in the canine spinal fusion model. J Spinal Disord 1997; 10: 467–72., , , , , , et al.
- 7Osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) in the treatment of tibial nonunions—a prospective, randomized clinical trial comparing rhOP-1 with fresh bone autograft. J Bone Joint Surg-Am 2001; 83A: S151–8., , , , , , et al.
- 8The use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein 2 (rhBMP-2) to promote spinal fusion in a nonhuman primate anterior interbody fusion model. Spine 2000; 25: 107S–14S., , , , , .
- 9Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 and collagen for bone regeneration. J Biomed Mater Res 1998; 43: 356–64., , , , , , et al.
- 10The critical size defect as an experimental model to test bone repair materials. J Craniofac Surg 1990; 1: 60–8., .
- 11Bone regeneration produced in rat femur defects by polymer capsules containing recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. J Oral Max-illofac Surg 1999; 57: 695–8., , , .
- 12The role of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in plga capsules at an extraskeletal site of the rat. J Biomed Mater Res 1999; 45: 36–41., , , , , .
- 13Bone morphogenetic protein-2 application by a poly(D,L-lactide)-coated interbody cage: in vivo results of a new carrier for growth factors. J Neurosurg 2002; 97: 40–8., , , , , , et al.
- 14Osseous regeneration in the rat calvarium using novel delivery systems for recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2). J Biomed Mater Res 1994; 28: 1139–47., , , , , .
- 15Improved lumbar vertebral interbody fusion using rhOP-1—a comparison of autogenous bone graft, bovine hydroxylapatite (Bio-Oss), and BMP-7 (rhOP-1) in sheep. Spine 2001; 26: 469–78., .
- 16Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 is superior to demineralized bone-matrix in repairing craniotomy defects in rats. J Biomed Mater Res 1994; 28: 1127–38., , , , , .
- 17Maxillary alveolar cleft repair in dogs using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 and a polymer carrier. Plast Reconstr Surg 1996; 98: 247–59., , , .
- 18Healing of dorsal pancarpal arthrodesis in the dog. J Small Anim Pract 2003; 44: 109–12., , .
- 19Morphometric analysis of human bone biopsies: a quantitative structural comparison of histological sections and micro-computed tomography. Bone 1998; 23: 59–66., , , , , , et al.
- 20Proteolysis and cell migration: creating a path? Curr Opin Cell Biol 1999; 11: 614–21., .
- 21Morphogenetic messages are in the extracellular matrix: biotechnology from bench to bedside. Biochem Soc Trans 2000; 28: 345–9..
- 22Bone induction by BMPs/OPs and related family members in primates—the critical role of delivery systems. J Bone Joint Surg-Am 2001; 83A: S116–27., , , , , .
- 23Human bone morphogenetic protein 2 contains a heparin-binding site which modifies its biological activity. Eur J Biochem 1996; 237: 295–302., , .
- 24Bovine osteogenic protein is composed of dimers of op-1 and BMP-2a, two members of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily. J Biol Chem 1990; 265: 13198–205., , , , , , et al.
- 25Enzymatic incorporation of bioactive peptides into fibrin matrices enhances neurite extension. Nat Biotechnol 2000; 18: 415–9., , , .
- 26Site-specific interaction of bone morphogenetic protein 2 with procollagen II. Cytokine 2002; 18: 214–21., , .
- 27Disulfide bridge conformers of mature BMP are inhibitors for heterotopic ossification. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001; 286: 554–8., , , , , .
- 28Slow and continuous application of human recombinant bone morphogenetic protein via biodegradable poly(lactide-co-glycolide) foamspheres. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 31: 60–5., , , , .
- 29Enhancement of bone growth by sustained delivery of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 in a polymeric matrix. Pharm Res 2001; 18: 1747–53., , , , , , et al.
- 30The potential role of bone morphogenetic proteins in periodontal reconstruction. J Periodont 1995; 66: 506–10..
- 31Overview of bone morphogenetic proteins. Spine 2002; 27: S2–8..
- 32Stabilization of proteins encapsulated in injectable poly(lactide-co-glycolide). Nat Biotechnol 2000; 18: 52–7., , .