Experimental & Clinical Pharmacology
Role of peripheral versus spinal 5-HT7 receptors in the modulation of pain undersensitizing conditions
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
© 2011 European Federation of International Association for the Study of Pain Chapters
European Journal of Pain
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 72–81, January 2012
How to Cite
Brenchat, A., Zamanillo, D., Hamon, M., Romero, L. and Vela, J.M. (2012), Role of peripheral versus spinal 5-HT7 receptors in the modulation of pain undersensitizing conditions. European Journal of Pain, 16: 72–81. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpain.2011.07.004
Conflicts of interests
The authors state that there were no conflicts of interests in respect to the work reported in this paper.
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUL 2011
- Tissue injury regulates serotonin 1D receptor expression: implications for the control of migraine and inflammatory pain. J Neurosci 2006;26:8332–8338. , .
- Molecular biology of 5-HT receptors. Neuropharmacology 1994;33:275–317. , .
- 5-HT7 receptor stimulation exerts anti-hyperalgesic effects in rats suffering from neuropathic pain via activation of GABAergic interneurons. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2008;22:127–128. , , , , , .
- Activation of 5-HT7 receptors inhibits neuropathic pain in mice. Pain 2010;149:483–494. , , , , , , et al.
- 5-HT7 receptor activation inhibits mechanical hypersensitivity secondary to capsaicin sensitization in mice. Pain 2009;141:239–247. , , , , , , et al.
- A 5-HT7 receptor-mediated depolarization in the anterodorsal thalamus. I. Pharmacological characterization. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001;297:395–402. , .
- Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw. J Neurosci Methods 1994;53:55–63. , , , , .
- 5-HT1A receptor activation: new molecular and neuroadaptive mechanisms of pain relief. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 2006;7:40–47. .
- Spared nerve injury: an animal model of persistent peripheral neuropathic pain. Pain 2000;87:149–158. , .
- Efficient analysis of experimental observations. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1980;20:441–462. .
- Differential mediation of descending pain facilitation and inhibition by spinal 5HT-3 and 5HT-7 receptors. Brain Res 2009;1280:52–59. , , .
- Systemic morphine produces antinociception mediated by spinal 5-HT7, but not 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 receptors in the spinal cord. Br J Pharmacol 2006;149:498–505. , .
- Pre- and postsynaptic localization of the 5-HT7 receptor in rat dorsal spinal cord: immunocytochemical evidence. J Comp Neurol 2005;490:256–269. , , , , .
- Characterization of human serotonin 1D and 1B receptors using [3H]-GR-125743, a novel radiolabelled serotonin 5HT1D/1B receptor antagonist. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 1997;356:328–334. , , .
- The role of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) receptor subtypes and plasticity in the 5-HT systems in the regulation of nociceptive sensitivity. Cephalalgia 1993;13:75–85. , .
- Enhanced withdrawal responses to heat and mechanical stimuli following intraplantar injection of capsaicin in rats. Pain 1996;67:179–188. , , .
- Comparison of antinociceptive actions of standard analgesics in attenuating capsaicin and nerve-injury-induced mechanical hypersensitivity. Neuroscience 2006;143:587–596. , , , , , , et al.
- The antimigraine 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonists, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan and dihydroergotamine, attenuate painrelated behaviour in a rat model of trigeminal neuropathic pain. Br J Pharmacol 2002;137:1287–1297. , , , .
- Toward deciphering the respective roles of multiple 5-HT receptors in the complex serotonin-mediated pain control. In: Beaulieu P , Lussier D , Porreca F , Dickenson AH , editors. Pharmacology of pain. Seattle: IASP Press; 2010 [chapter 9]. , , , , .
- A novel adenylyl cyclase-activating serotonin receptor (5-HT7) implicated in the regulation of mammalian circadian rhythms. Neuron 1993;11:449–458. , , , , , et al.
- Autoradiographic distribution of 5-HT7 receptors in the human brain using [3H]mesulergine: comparison to other mammalian species. Br J Pharmacol 2004;141:92–104. , .
- 5-HT7 receptors are involved in mediating 5-HT-induced activation of rat primary afferent neurons. Life Sci 2002;71:2279–2289. , , , , , .
- Descending control of pain. Prog Neurobiol 2002;66:355–474. .
- Localization of 5-HT7 receptors in rat brain by immunocytochemistry, in situ hybridization, and agonist stimulated cFos expression. J Chem Neuroanat 2001;21:63–73. , , , , .
- Antinociception in rat by sarpogrelate, a selective 5-HT2A receptor antagonist, is peripheral. Eur J Pharmacol 2000;404:95–102. , , , .
- Dual effect of serotonin on formalin-induced nociception in the rat spinal cord. Neurosci Res 1996;25:129–135. , , , , .
- Disrupting 5-HT(2A) receptor/PDZ protein interactions reduces hyperalgesia and enhances SSRI efficacy in neuropathic pain. Mol Ther 2010;18:1462–1470. , , , , , , et al.
- 5-Hydroxytryptamine receptor subtype messenger RNAs in human dorsal root ganglia: a polymerase chain reaction study. Neuroscience 1997;81:813–819. , , , .
- Lumbar catheterization of the subarachnoid space with a 32-gauge polyurethane catheter in the rat. Eur J Pain 2000;4:111–113. , , .
- Pronociceptive role of peripheral and spinal 5-HT7 receptors in the formalin test. Pain 2005;117:182–192. , , , .
- Serotonin in pain and analgesia: actions in the periphery. Mol Neurobiol 2004;30:117–125. .
- Systemic cannabinoids produce CB1-mediated antinociception by activation of descending serotonergic pathways that act upon spinal 5-HT7 and 5-HT2A receptors. Eur J Pharmacol 2010;649:183–194. , , , , .
- Lumbar catheterization of the spinal subarachnoid space in the rat. J Neurosci Methods 1996;65(2):167–172. , , , .
- Selective labelling of 5-HT7 receptor recognition sites in rat brain using [3H]5-carboxamidotryptamine. Neuropharmacology 1998;37:1611–1619. , .
- Anti-hyperalgesic effects of 5-HT7 receptor activation in rats suffering from neuropathic pain: role of GABAA receptors. Eur J Pain 2009;13(Suppl. 1):S80. , , , , , .
- 5-HT7 receptor-mediated opposite modulation of mechanical nociception in naïve versus neuropathic rats; implication of Cl− transport dynamics. FENS Abstr 2010;5:111–125. , , , , , .
- Spinal 5-HT7 receptors play an important role in the antinociceptive and antihyperalgesic effects of tramadol and its metabolite, O-desmethyltramadol, via activation of descending serotonergic pathways. Anesthesiology 2010;112:696–710. , , , , , , et al.
- Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain 1983;16:109–110. .