Peer support among persons with severe mental illnesses: a review of evidence and experience
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2013
2012 World Psychiatric Association
Volume 11, Issue 2, pages 123–128, June 2012
How to Cite
DAVIDSON, L., BELLAMY, C., GUY, K. and MILLER, R. (2012), Peer support among persons with severe mental illnesses: a review of evidence and experience. World Psychiatry, 11: 123–128. doi: 10.1016/j.wpsyc.2012.05.009
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2013
- 1The apprenticeship of Philippe Pinel: a new document, “Observations of Citizen Pussin on the Insane”. Am J Psychiatry 1979; 36: 1128–34..
- 3Department of Health and Human Services. Achieving the promise: transforming mental health care in America. Rockville: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2003.
- 4A treatise on insanity. Sheffield: Todd, 1806..
- 5The roots of the recovery movement in psychiatry: lessons learned. London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010., , .
- 19Severe and persistent mental illness. In: Jacobs S, Griffith EEH (eds). 40 years of academic public psychiatry. London: Wiley, 2008: 1–20., , et al.
- 20Preventing relapse and readmission in psychosis: using patients' subjective experience in designing clinical interventions. In: Martindale B (ed). Outcome studies in psychological treatments of psychotic conditions. London: Gaskell, 2000: 134–56., , et al.
- 21Recovery guides: an emerging model of community-based care for adults with psychiatric disabilities. In: Lightburn A, Sessions P (eds). Community based clinical practice. London: Oxford University Press, 2006: 476–501., , et al.
- 25Living outside mental illness: qualitative studies of recovery in schizophrenia. New York: New York University Press, 2003..
- 27Integrating prosumers into clinical settings. In: Mowbray CT, Moxley DP, Jasper CA et al (eds). Consumers as providers in psychiatric rehabilitation. Columbia: International Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services, 1997: 437–55., , et al.
- 35Recovery from versus recovery in serious mental illness: one strategy for lessening confusion plaguing recovery. J Ment Health 2007; 16: 1–12., .
- 38Mental health consumer providers: a guide for clinical staff. Santa Monica: Rand Corporation, 2008., , et al.
- 40Daniels A, Grant E, Filson B et al (eds). Pillars of peer support: transforming mental health systems of care through peer support services. Rockville: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2010.
- 42Integrating peer support initiatives in a large health care organization. Psychol Serv 2008; 5: 216–27., , et al.
- 44Consumers in the mental health workforce: a handbook for providers. Rockville: National Council for Community Behavioral Health Care, 2006., .