Papers on Climate and Dynamics
Assessment of contemporary Arctic river runoff based on observational discharge records
Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2001
Copyright 2001 by the American Geophysical Union.
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres (1984–2012)
Volume 106, Issue D4, pages 3321–3334, 27 February 2001
How to Cite
2001), Assessment of contemporary Arctic river runoff based on observational discharge records, J. Geophys. Res., 106(D4), 3321–3334, doi:10.1029/2000JD900444., , , , and (
- Issue online: 1 FEB 2001
- Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2000
- , Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI), Arctic Atlas, in Russian, Moscow, 1985.
- , Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), Physical pathways of contaminant transport, The Arctic Pollution Issues: A State of the Arctic Environment Report, 21–33, Oslo, 1997.
- , Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), AMAP Assessment Report: Arctic Pollution Issues, 859, Oslo, Norway, 1998.
- New data about magnitude of the Siberian rivers inflowing into the Arctic Seas (in Russian), Probl. Arct. Antarct., 17, 73–76, 1964. ,
- Total continental inflow to the Arctic seas (in Russian), Probl. Arct. Antarct., 2082, 13–24, 1957. , ,
- Grid mapping of river discharge, J. Hydrol., 167, 39–56, 1995. ,
- Hydrology and freshwater ecology,chap. 10, inClimate Change 1995: Impacts, Adaptations, and Mitigation of Climate Change, edited byR. T. Watson, M. C. Zinyowera, R. H. Moss, andD. J. Dokken, Cambridge Univ. Press,New York,1996. , , , , and ,
- The World Water Balance, 179, Elsevier, New York, 1975. , ,
- Greenhouse gas-induced climate change simulated with the CCC second-generation general circulation model, J. Clim., 5, 1045–1077, 1992. , , ,
- Thermohaline circulation, the Achilles heel of our climate system: Will man-made CO2 upset the current balance?, Science, 278, 1582–1588, 1997. ,
- Interannual variability in reconstructed Canadian snow cover, 1915–1992, J. Clim., 9, 1299–1318, 1996. , ,
- Anticipated human modifications of global climate, Sov. Geogr. Rev. Transl., 31, 11, 1990. ,
- Water diversion and export: Learning from Canadian experiencePubl. Ser. 0843-7378; 36m, 209Dept. of Geogr., Univ. of Waterloo, Ont., Canada, 1992. , ,
- , Defense Mapping Agency Aerospace Center (DMAAC),Operational navigational chart,1:1 000 000 scale,St. Louis, Mo., 1980–1986.
- Physical Hydrology, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1994. ,
- Fragmentation and flow regulation of river systems in the northern third of the world, Science, 266, 753–762, 1994. , ,
- , Environment Canada, Hydat CD-ROM Version 4.93, Surface Water and Sediment Data, Atmospheric Environment Service, Water Survey of Canada, 1994.
- , Environmental Systems Research Institute Inc. (ESRI), Digital Chart of the World for Use with ARC/INFO Software, Data Dictionary, 1:1 M ARC/INFO Digital Data [CD-ROM], Redlands, Calif., 1993.
- Global, Composite Runoff Fields on Observed River Discharge and Simulated Water BalancesRep. 22, 113Global Runoff Data Cent., Koblenz, Germany, 1999. , , ,
- , Fisheries and Environment Canada, Hydrological Atlas of Canada, Can. Nat. Comm. for the Int. Hydrol. Decade, Ottawa, Ont., Canada, 1978.
- Feedbacks between climate and boreal forests during the Holocene Epoch, Nature, 371, 52–54, 1994. , , , ,
- Water in Crisis: A Guide to the World's Fresh Water Resources, 473, Oxford University Press, 1993. ,
- , Global Runoff Data Centre (GRDC), Second interim report on the Arctic river database for Arctic Climate System Study (ACSYS)Tech. Rep. 12, 48Fed. Inst. of Hydrol., Koblenz, Germany, 1996.
- Freshwater Fluxes from Continents into the World Oceans Based on Data of the Global Runoff Data CenterGRDC Rep. 10, Koblenz, Germany, 1996. , , ,
- Variability and trends of total precipitation and snowfall over the United States and Canada, J. Clim., 7, 184–205, 1994. , ,
- Indicators of climate change for the Russian Federation, Clim. Change, 42, 219–242, 1999. , , , ,
- Anomalies in the large-scale annual water balance over northern North America, Can. Geogr., 152, 79–94, 1971. , ,
- Statistical Methods in Water Resources, Stud. Environ. Sci., 49, 522, Elsevier, New York, 1992. , ,
- Compilation of records of surface waters of Alaska, October 1950 to September 1960, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 1740, 86, 1964. ,
- Energy balance and hydrological processes in an Arctic watershed, Landscape Function and Disturbance in Arctic TundraJ. F. Reynolds, J. D. Tenhunen, Ecol. Stud., 120, 131–154, Springer, New York, 1996. , , , ,
- Decadal trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation: Regional temperatures and precipitation, Science, 269, 676–679, 1995. ,
- Influence of variations in extratropical wintertime teleconnections on Northern Hemisphere temperature, Geophys. Res. Lett., 236, 665–668, 1996. ,
- , Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), The IPCC Scientific Assessment, WMO/UNEP Rep., Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1990.
- , Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Climate Change 1995: IPCC Second Assessment Report, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1995.
- , Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (1PCC), The RegionalImpacts of Climate Change, An Assessment of Vulnerability, IPCC Rep., 517, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1998.
- Freshwater balance of the Arctic Ocean (in Russian), Probl. Arct. Antarct., 323, 138–147, 1976. ,
- River water inflow to the Arctic seas, Proceedings of the ACSYS Conference on the Dynamics of the Arctic Climate SystemWMO/TD-760, 115–124, Geneva, 1996. ,
- Discharge in the mouth of Yenisey River and its long-term variability (in Russian), Probl. Arct. Antarct., 308, 35–41, 1974. , ,
- Exploitation of the Earth's water resources, in Russian, World Water Balance and Water Resources of the Earth, 575–606, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1974. , ,
- The NCEP/NCAR 40-year re-analysis project, Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 77, 437–471, 1996. , et al.,
- Evapotranspiration from a small Alaskan Arctic watershed, Nord Hydrol., 21, 253–272, 1990. , , ,
- Feedback mechanisms in the climate system affecting future levels of carbon dioxide, J. Geophys. Res., 88, 1263–269, 1983. ,
- Simulation of streamflow in a macroscale watershed using general circulation model data, Water Resour. Res., 30, 1547–1559, 1994. , , ,
- Korzoun, V. I., A. A. Sokolov, M. I. Budyko, K. P. Voskresensky, G. P. Kalinin, A. A. Konoplyantsev, E. S. Korotkevich, andM. I. L'vovich, (Eds),Atlas of World Water Balance and Water Resources of the Earth,USSR Comm. for the Int. Hydrol. Decade,St. Petersburg, Russia,1978. (Engl. transl.,UNESCO,Paris,1978.).
- Evaluation GCM land surface hydrology parameterizations by computing river discharges using a runoff model: Application to the Mississippi basin, J. Appl. Meteorol., 33, 394–405, 1994. , , ,
- Rehabilitation and analysis of Canadian daily precipitation time series, Atmos. Ocean, 37, 53–85, 1999. , ,
- The impact of global warming on river runoff, J. Geophys. Res., 97, 2757–2764, 1992. , ,
- Increased plant growth in the northern high latitudes from 1981–1991, Nature, 386, 698–702, 1997. , , , , ,
- Sea-ice anomalies observed in the Greenland and Labrador Seas during 1901–1984 and their relation to an interdecadal Arctic climate cycle, Clim. Dyn., 5, 111–113, 1990. , , ,
- Permafrost zonation in Russia under anthropogenic climatic change, Permafrost Periglacial Processes, 4, 137–148, 1993. , ,
- Global runoff estimation by atmospheric water balance using ECMWF data set, Macroscale Modelling of the HydrosphereW. B. Wilkinson, IAHS Publ., 214, 163–172, Gentbrugge, Belgium, 1993. , , , ,
- A review of techniques used by Canada and other northern countries for measurement and computation of streamflow under ice conditions, Nord. Hydrol., 21, 317–340, 1990. ,
- Water resources of the Angara-Yenisey basin and its possible changes, in Russian, Proc. Zapadno Sib. Nauchno Issled. Inst., 37, 91–102, 1978. ,
- Measurement and Computation of Streamflow, 2 vol.,, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2175,, 631 pp.,1982. , et al.,
- Large-scale aspects of the United States hydrologic cycle, Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 75, 1589–1610, 1994. , , , ,
- Atlantic Arctic cyclones and the mild Siberian winters of the 1980s, Geophys. Res. Lett., 227, 799–802, 1995. , ,
- Hydrology of a wetland in the continuous permafrost region, J. Hydrol., 89, 73–91, 1986. , ,
- Sedimentary effects of cataclysmic later Pleistocene glacial outburst flooding, Altay Mountains, Siberia, Sediment. Geol., 85, 53–62, 1993. , ,
- , Russian Hydrometeorological Service, Observation on U.S.S.R. Hydrometeorological Network — Determination of Hydrometeorological Elements and Observation Accuracy Estimates, in Russian, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 1970.
- , Russian Hydrometeorological Service, Resources of the USSR Surface Water, in Russian, 1, 15,16,17,18, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 1973.
- An average water balance for Canada, Water Balance in North AmericaA. H. Laycock, M. Francisco, T. Fisher, American Water Resources Association, Urbana, Illinois, 1969. ,
- Average Annual Water Surplus in Canada, Meteorol. Serv. Can. Climatol. Study, 9, Dept. of Transp., Meteorol. Branch, Gov. of Can., 1967. , ,
- A model of river runoff for use in coupled atmosphere-ocean models, J. Hydrol., 155, 337–352, 1994. , , ,
- Atmospheric water vapor characteristics at 70°N, J. Clim., 8, 719–731, 1995. , , ,
- Observational evidence of recent change in the northern high latitude environment, Clim. Change, 46, 159–207, 2000. , , , , , , , , , ,
- Anthropogenic changes of river discharge, in Russian, 301, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 1979. ,
- Man's activity impact on river runoff, in Russian, 333, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1989. ,
- Influence of anthropogenic changes in global climate on the Yenisey River runoff, in Russian, J. Meteorol. Hydrol, 2, 84–93, 1994. ,
- Estimate of the change in the Yenisey River inflow to the Kara Sea as affected by industrial activities in its basin, in Russian, Nature Conditions of the Kara and Barents Seas, Meteorol. and Hydrol. Publ. Center, Moscow, Russia, 1995. ,
- Comprehensive Assessment of the Freshwater Resources of the World Assessment of Water Resources and Water Availability in the World, 88, World Meteorol. Organ., Geneva, 1998. ,
- Water availability and streamflow transfer problems over the world, in Russian, 293, Gidrometeoizdat., St. Petersburg, Russia, 1987. , ,
- The dynamics of river water inflow to the arctic ocean, inThe Freshwater Budget of the Arctic Ocean,Kluwer Acad.,Norwell, Mass., in press,1999. , , , , and ,
- Trends of daily maximum and minimum temperature in canada during the past century, Climatol. Bull., 272, 63–77, 1993. , ,
- Hydro-Climatic Data Network (HCDN) streamflow data set, 1874–1988, USGS Water-Resour. Invest. Rep.93-4076, 1993. , , ,
- Boreal forest catchments: Research sites for global change at high latitudes, Water Air Soil Pollut., 82, 351–361, 1995. , , , ,
- Decadal atmosphere-ocean variations in the Pacific, Clim. Dyn., 9, 303–319, 1994. , ,
- , U.S. Geological Survey, Surface water supply of the United States 1961–65, part 15, Alaska, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water-Supply Pap., 1936, 342, 1971.
- , U.S. Geological Survey0,Water resources data for Alaska, water years 1966–1995:U.S. Geol. Surv. Water-Data Rep. AK 66-1 to AK 95-1, 1967–1996.
- River Discharge Database, Version 1.0 (RivDIS v1.O), 0 through 6, A contribution to IHP V, Theme 1,, Tech. Doc. Hydrol. Ser.,UNESCO,Paris,1996a. , , and ,
- Analyzing the discharge regime of a large tropical river through remote sensing, ground-based climatic data, and modeling, Water Resour. Res., 32, 3137–50, 1996b. , , , , , , ,
- Modeling the Transport and Transformation of Terrestrial Materials to Freshwater and Coastal EcosystemsIGBP Rep. 39Int. Geos.-Bios. Programme Secr., Stockholm, 1997a. , , ,
- The storage and aging of continental runoff in large reservior systems of the world, Ambio, 26, 210–219, 1997b. , , , , , , ,
- Potential evaporation functions compared on U.S. watersheds: Implications for global-scale water balance and terrestrial ecosystem modeling, J. Hydrol., 207, 147–169, 1998a. , , ,
- River Discharge Database, Version 1.1 (RivDIS v 1.0 supplement). (Available through the Inst. for theStudy of Earth, Oceans, and Space/Univ. of New Hampshire,Durham athttp://pyramid.unh.edu/csrc/hydro/,1998b.). , , and ,
- The global system of rivers: Its role in organizing continental land mass and defining land-to-ocean linkages, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 142, 599–621, 2000. , , , ,
- norm and variability of the annual runoff of the U.S.S.R. rivers, in Russian, 545, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1962. ,
- Stream Gaging Program of the U.S. Geological Survey, USGS Geol. Surv. Circ., 1123, Reston, Va., 1995. , , ,
- A Daily Hydroclimatological Data Set for the Continental United States, Water Resour. Res., 277, 1657–1663, 1991. , , ,
- Regional hydrology, Northern Hydrology. Canadian PerspectivesT. D. Prowse, C. S. L. Ommanney, NHRI Sci. Rep., 1, 207–226, Nat. Hydrol. Res. Inst., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, 1990. ,
- Compilation of records of surface waters of Alaska through September 1950, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water-Supply Pap., 1372, 262, 1957. , ,
- Climate change effects on the hydrologic regime within the Churchill-Nelson river basin, J. Hydrol., 202, 263–279, 1997. , ,
- Water balance studies in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, Studies in Canadian Regional Geography: Essays in Honor of J. Lewis Robinson, B.C. Geogr. Ser. B. M. Barr, 38–51, Tantalus Res., Vancouver, Canada, 1984. ,
- Mean Runoff and its Distribution During a Year on the USSR Territory, in Russian, 24, 147, Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1946. ,