Papers on Aerosols and Clouds
Transport of boreal forest fire emissions from Canada to Europe
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2001
Copyright 2001 by the American Geophysical Union.
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres (1984–2012)
Volume 106, Issue D19, pages 22887–22906, 16 October 2001
How to Cite
2001), Transport of boreal forest fire emissions from Canada to Europe, J. Geophys. Res., 106(D19), 22887–22906, doi:10.1029/2001JD900115., et al. (
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2001
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Received: 5 OCT 2000
- Validation of a long-range trajectory model using gas balloon tracks from the Gordon Bennett Cup 95, J. Appl. Meteorol., 36, 711–720, 1997. , ,
- , Canadian Forest Service, National forest fire situation report (archived reports), Ottawa, Canada, 2000.
- Shortwave direct radiative forcing of biomass burning aerosols estimated using VIRS and CERES data, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 2197–2200, 2000. , , , , , ,
- Crown fire emissions of CO2, CO, H2, CH4 and TNMHC from a dense jack pine boreal forest fire, Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 3919–3922, 1998. , , , , ,
- A discussion of the chemistry of some minor constituents in the stratosphere and troposphere, Pure Appl. Geophys., 106–108, 1385–1399, 1973. ,
- Atmospheric lifetime and annual release estimates for CFCl3 and CF2Cl2 from five years of ALE data, J. Geophys. Res., 91, 10797–10817, 1986. , , , , , , , , ,
- On the climate forcing of carbon monoxide, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 13249–13260, 1998. , ,
- , Deutscher Wetterdienst, Wetterkarte 221 and 222 (Weather Charts of the German Weather Service), ISSN 0936–5818,1998.
- , Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), The 1985 NAPAP emissions inventory (version 2): Development of the annual data and modeler's tapesEPA Report EPA-600/7-89-012a, Washington, D.C., 1989.
- , Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National air pollutant emission trends 1900–1996EPA Report EPA-454/ R-97-011, Washington, D.C., 1997.
- , European Cemtre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), User Guide to ECMWF Products 2.1, Meteorol. Bull., M3.2, Reading, England, 1995.
- NASA GTE TRACE-A experiment (September-October, 1992): Overview, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 23865–23880, 1996. , , , , ,
- Observations of boreal forest fire smoke in the stratosphere by POAM III, SAGE II, and lidar in 1998, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 1407–1410, 2000. , , , , , , , , ,
- , Global Fire Monitoring Center (GMFC), Canada Report, Fire GlobeIFFN 20, Winnipeg, Canada, 1999.
- , Government of the Northwest Territories, Department of Resources, Wildlife and Economic Development, Archived fire records, Yellowknife, 2000.
- Applications in air pollution modeling, Atmospheric Turbulence and Air Pollution ModellingF. T. M. Nieuwstadt, H. vanDop, Norwell, Mass., 1982. ,
- The Arctic Boundary Layer Expedition (ABLE-3A): July-August, 1988, J. Geophys. Res., 97, 16383–16394, 1992. , et al.,
- The Arctic Boundary Layer Expedition (ABLE 3B), July-August 1990, J. Geophys. Res., 99, 1635–1644, 1994. , , , , , , , , ,
- Satellite detection of smoke aerosols over a snow/ice surface by TOMS, Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 1165–1168, 1999. , et al.,
- , Institut für Meteorologie der Freien Universität Berlin,Berliner Wetterkarte 47–221 and 47–222 (Weather Charts of the Meteorological Institute, University of Berlin),Berlin, ISSN 0177–3984,1998.
- Summertime photochemistry of the troposphere at high northern latitudes, J. Geophys Res., 97, 16421–16431, 1992. , et al.,
- Concurrent measurements of black carbon aerosol and carbon monoxide at Mace Head, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 19447–19454, 1996. , , , , , ,
- Microphysical and physico-chemical characterization of atmospheric marine and continental aerosol at Mace Head, Atmos. Environ., 31, 2795–2808, 1997. , , , , , ,
- Satellite imagery gives clear picture of Russia's boreal forest fires, Eos Trans. AGU, 80, 141,147, 1999. , , , , , , ,
- Modeling of carbonaceous particles emitted by boreal and temperate wildfires at northern latitudes, J. Geophys. Res., 105, 26871–26890, 2000. , , , , ,
- Tropospheric chemistry: A global perspective, J. Geophys. Res, 86, 7210–7245, 1981. , et al.,
- Atmospheric turbidity and CCl3F concentrations in rural southern England and southern Ireland, Atmos. Environ., 6, 917–925, 1972. ,
- Origin of tropospheric ozone at remote high northern latitudes in summer, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 4175–4188, 1996. , et al.,
- Empirical atmospheric deposition parameters-a survey, Atmos. Environ., 13, 571–585, 1979. , ,
- , Natural Resources Canada, Fire monitoring, mapping and modelling. Maps of hot spots, Ottawa, 2000.
- Development and evaluation of a gravimetric reference scale for measurements of atmospheric carbon monoxide, J. Geophys. Res., 96, 13109–13121, 1991. , , ,
- An internally consistent set of globally distributed atmospheric carbon monoxide mixing ratios developed using results from an intercomparison of measurements, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 19285–19293, 1998. , et al.,
- Weather Analysis and Forecasting, 221–223, McGraw-Hill, New York., 1940. ,
- The atmospheric lifetime experiment, I: introduction, instrumentation, and overview, J. Geophys. Res., 88, 8415–8426, 1983. , , , , , ,
- A history of chemically and radiatively important gases in air deduced from ALE/GAGE/ AGAGE, J. Geophys. Res., 105, 17751–17792, 2000. , et al.,
- Modelling long-range transport of CFCs to Mace Head, Ireland, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 124, 417–446, 1998. , , , ,
- A European aerosol research lidar network to establish an aerosol climatology (EARLINET), J. Aerosol Sci., 31Suppl. 1, 592–593, 2000. , et al.,
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 1326, John Wiley, Inc., New York, 1998. , ,
- A strange cloud in the Arctic summer stratosphere 1998 above Esrange (68°N), Sweden, Ann. Geophys., 18, 505–509, 2000. , , , ,
- Long-term trends in concentrations of halocarbons and radiatively active gases in Atlantic and European air masses monitored at Mace Head, Ireland from 1987–1994, Atmos. Environ., 23, 4041–4063, 1996. , , , , ,
- Analysis of the behaviour and associated weather for a 1986 Northwestern Ontario wildfire: Red Lake #7, Ninth Conference on Fire and Forest Meteorology, 94–100Soc. of Am. For., San Diego, Calif., 1987. , ,
- Boreal forest fire regimes and climate change, inWengen-99 Global Change Workshop, September 1999,Wengen, Switzerland, in press,2001. , et al.,
- A 1-year Lagrangian “climatology” of airstreams in the northern hemisphere troposphere and lowermost stratosphere, J. Geophys. Res., 106, 7263–7279, 2000. ,
- Evaluation of trajectories calculated from ECMWF data against constant volume balloon flights during ETEX, Atmos. Environ., 24, 4151–4156, 1998. , ,
- Accuracy of trajectories as determined from the conservation of meteorological tracers, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 124, 1465–1484, 1998. , ,
- A density correction for Lagrangian particle dispersion models, Boundary-Layer Meteorol., 90, 155–167, 1999. , ,
- A textbook example of long-range transport: Simultaneous observation of ozone maxima of stratospheric and North American origin in the free troposphere over Europe, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 30445–30462, 1999. , ,
- Interpolation errors in wind fields as a function of spatial and temporal resolution and their impact on different types of kinematic trajectories, J. Appl. Meteor., 34, 2149–2165, 1995. , , , ,
- Validation of the Lagrangian particle dispersion model FLEXPART against large scale tracer experiment data, Atmos. Environ., 24, 4245–4264, 1998. , , ,
- An intercomparison of results from three trajectory models, Meteorol. Appl., 2001. , , , ,
- Intercomparison and intercalibration techniques employed for the U.K. national air monitoring networks. Warren Springs Laboratory, Stevenage, UK, 1992. , ,
- Highly elevated carbon monoxide concentrations in the upper troposphere and lowermost stratosphere at northern midlatitudes during the STREAM II summer campaign in 1994, Chemosphere Global Change Sc., 1, 233–248, 2000. , et al.,
- Simulations of microphysical, radiative, and dynamical processes in a continental-scale forest fire smoke plume, J. Geophys. Res., 96, 22379–22400, 1991. , ,
- The influence of Canadian forest fires on pollutant concentrations in the United States, Science, 288, 324–328, 2000. , ,
- Variations of carbon monoxide density in the total atmospheric column over Russia between 1970 and 1995: Upward trend and disturbances, attributed to the influence of volcanic aerosols and forest fires, Geophys. Res. Lett., 24, 1231–1234, 1997. , , ,