Composition and Chemistry
Emission from international sea transportation and environmental impact
Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2003
Copyright 2003 by the American Geophysical Union.
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres (1984–2012)
Volume 108, Issue D17, 16 September 2003
How to Cite
2003), Emission from international sea transportation and environmental impact, J. Geophys. Res., 108, 4560, doi:10.1029/2002JD002898, D17., , , , , , and (
- Issue online: 13 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 APR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 28 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 30 AUG 2002
- AMI International's Naval Main Propulsion Market Overview, AIM Int., Bremerton, Wash., 1995. , and ,
- Global gridded inventories of anthropogenic emissions of sulfur and nitrogen, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 29,239–29,253, 1996. , , , , , , , , and ,
- A global three-dimensional chemical transport model for the troposphere: 1. Model description and CO and ozone results, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 21,239–21,280, 1997. , and ,
- MOZART, a global chemical transport model for ozone and related chemical tracers: 1. Model description, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 28,265–28,289, 1998. , , , , , , and ,
- Calhoun, D. R. (Ed.), Events of 1998: Military Affairs, in 1999 Britannica Book of the Year, pp. 278–281, Encycl. Br., Chicago, Ill., 1999.
- Effects of ship emission on sulphur cycling and radiative climate forcing over the ocean, Nature, 400, 743–746, 1999. , , , , and ,
- CONCAWE, The contribution of sulphur dioxide emission from ships to coastal deposition and air quality in the channel and southern North Sea area, Rep. 2/94, Brussels, 1994.
- Hydrocarbons, PAH, and PCB emissions from ferries: A case study in the Skagerak-Kattegatt-Oresund region, Atmos. Environ., 30(14), 2463–2473, 1996. , , and ,
- Emissions from waterborne commerce vessels in United States continental and inland waterways, Environ. Sci. Technol. [Washington D. C.], 34N, 3254–3260, 2000. , and ,
- Global nitrogen and sulfur inventories for oceangoing ships, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 3457–3470, 1999. , , and ,
- Marine fuels—Worldwide sulphur levels, Det Norske Veritas Petr. Serv. Inc., Oslo, Norway, 16 Sept. 1997. ,
- Impact of ship emissions on marine boundary layer NOx and SO2 distributions over the Pacific Basin, Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(2), 235–238, 2001. , , , , , , , , , and ,
- Reference values for ship pollution, Rep. 99-2034, Det Norske Veritas, Oslo, 1999. , and ,
- Data and models for quantification of ship pollution, Rep. 98-2059, Det Norske Veritas, Oslo, 1999. , , , and ,
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), VOC emission factors, AP-42, in Transportation and Marketing of Petroleum Liquids, vol. 1, 5th ed., pp. 5.2-1–5.2-17, Washington, D. C., 1995.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Energy, in Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990–1997, Rep. 236-R-99-003, pp. 2–36, Washington, D. C., 1999.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Analysis of commercial marine vessels emission and fuel consumption data, office of transportation and air quality, Rep. 420-R-00-002, Washington, D. C., 2000.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), SPECIATE, EPA's respository of total organic compound (TOC) and particulate matter (PM) speciated profiles for a wide variety of sources, visited spring 2002.
- European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme (EMEP)/CORINAIR, EMEP co-operative programme for monitoring and evaluation of the long range transmission of air pollution in Europe: The core inventory of air emissions in Europe (CORINAIR), in Atmospheric Emission Inventory Guidebook, 2nd ed., Eur. Environ. Agency, Copenhagen, 1999.
- Fearnleys, World Bulk Trades 1997, An Analysis of 1996 With 1997 Update, Fearnresearch, Oslo, 1997.
- Fearnleys, Review 2001 (The Tanker and Bulk Markets and Fleets), Fearnresearch, Oslo, 2002.
- Volcanic sulfur emissions: Estimates of source strength and its contribution to the global sulfate distribution, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 10,727–10,738, 1997. , , and ,
- Marine Engineering, 53 pp., Soc. of Nav. Archit. and Mar. Eng., Jersey City, N. J., 1992. ,
- Quasi steady-state approximation in air pollution modelling: Comparison of two numerical schemes for oxidant prediction, Int. J. Chem. Kinet., X, 971–994, 1978. , , and ,
- A high resolution air mass transformation model for short-range weather forecasting, Mon. Weather Rev., 118, 1561–1575, 1990. , et al.,
- Development of a two-dimensional global tropospheric model: Model chemistry, J. Geophys. Res., 96, 7325–7362, 1991. ,
- Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics (ISL), Shipping Statistics Yearbook 1997, edited by M. Zachcial, and C. Heideloff, Bremen, Germany, 1997.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis, edited by J. T. Houghton et al., Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1996.
- International Energy Agency (IEA), Oil Information 2001, edited by M. Reece, Paris, 2001.
- International Energy Agency (IEA), International Bunker Statistics Year 1996/2000, Paris, 2003.
- International Maritime Organisation (IMO), Regulations for the prevention of air pollution from ships and NOx technical code, ANNEX VI of MARPOL 73/78, London, 1998.
- Ozone generation over rural areas, Environ. Sci. Technol., 12, 1279–1284, 1978. , , and ,
- Japan, A point of view toward GHG emission reduction: Preliminary study on estimation and future trend of GHG emissions from all marine vessels, Rep. MEPC 45/INF.27, Int. Mar. Organ., London, 10 Aug. 2000.
- Effects of international shipping on European pollution levels, EMEP/MSC-W Note 5/2000, Norw. Meteorol. Inst., Oslo, 2000a. , , and ,
- Chemical effects of UV fluctuations inferred from total ozone and tropospheric aerosol variations, J. Geophys. Res., 105, 14,561–14,574, 2000b. , , , , , and ,
- Do emissions from ships have a significant impact on concentrations of nitrogen oxides in the marine boundary layer? Geophys. Res. Lett., 27(15), 2229–2233, 2000. , et al.,
- A global database of sea surface dimethylsulfide (DMS) measurements and a procedure to predict sea surface DMS as a function of latitude, longitude, and month, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 13, 399–444, 1999. , et al.,
- The Norwegian Green Ship Program—Low emission diesel engines, paper presented at the Advanced Study Workshop, Air Pollut. From Mar. Eng., Athens, 20 Jan. , 1994. ,
- Influence of NOx emissions from ships on tropospheric photochemistry and climate, Nature, 402, 167–170, 1999. , and ,
- Liberia, Untitled, Rep. MEPC 38/INF.12, Int. Mar. Organ., London, 17 April 1996.
- Air-sea gas exchange rates: Introduction and synthesis, in The Role of Air-Sea Exchange in Geochemical Cycling, edited by , pp. 113–127, D. Reidel, Norwell, Mass., 1986. , and ,
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), Marine Exhaust Emissions Research Programme, Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 1995.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), World Fleet Statistics, 1996, Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 1996.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), Marine exhaust emissions quantification study—Baltic Sea, Rep. 98/EE/7036, Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 1998.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), Marine exhaust emissions quantification study—Mediterranean Sea, Rep. 99/EE/7044, Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 1999a.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), Lloyd's Maritime Atlas of Ports and Shipping Places, 20th ed., Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 1999b.
- Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LR), World Fleet Statistics, 2000, Lloyd's Regist. Eng. Serv., London, 2000.
- Solutions to hydrocarbon gas emission from tankers, marine system design and operations, paper presented at ICMES 93: Marine system design and operation symposium, Inst. Mar. Eng., Hamburg, Germany, 29 Sept. to 1 Oct. , 1993. ,
- Geographical distribution and seasonal variation of surface emissions and deposition velocities of atmospheric trace gases, J. Geophys. Res., 97, 3787–3804, 1992. ,
- Norway, Untitled, Rep. BCH 24/INF.28, Int. Mar. Organ., London, 29 July 1994.
- Norwegian Maritime Directorate, List of Norwegian Vessels 1999, Elanders Publ. AS, Oslo, 2000.
- Norwegian Shipowner Association, Quarterly Information on Shipping and Offshore Activity (in Norwegian), vol. 4, Oslo, 2000.
- Norwegian Shipowner Association, Ratio between gross tonnage/net tonnage/deadweight—Approximate conversion figures, Oslo, 2002.
- Oil Industry International Exploration and Production Forum, Methods for estimating atmospheric emissions from E&P operations, Rep. HN88-001, London, 1993.
- Description of EDGAR version 2.0, rep. 771060 002/TNO-MEP, rep. R96/119, Natl. Inst. of Public Health and the Environ., Bilthoven, Netherlands, 1996. , , , , , , , , and ,
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), What Markets are There for Transport by Inland Waterways?, Econ. Res. Cent., Paris, 1997.
- Emissions of light nonmethane hydrocarbons from the Atlantic into the atmosphere, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 7, 211–228, 1993. , , , , , and ,
- Numerical advection by conservation of second-order moments, J. Geophys. Res., 91, 6671–6681, 1986. ,
- NOx from lightning: 1. Global distribution based on lightning physics, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 5241–5929, 1997a. , , and ,
- NOx from lightning, 2, Constraints from the global atmospheric electric circuit, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 5251–5943, 1997b. , , and ,
- Acetone in the atmosphere: Distribution, sources, and sinks, J. Geophys. Res., 99, 1805–1819, 1994. , , , , , , , and ,
- Study on greenhouse gas emissions from ships, MT Rep. Mtoo A23-038, MARINTEK, Trondheim, Norway, 2000. , , , and ,
- Global inventory of sulfur emissions with 1° × 1° resolution, J. Geophys. Res., 97, 6023–6036, 1992. , , and ,
- The growing contribution of sulfur emissions from ships in Asian waters 1988–1995, Atmos. Environ., 24(26), 4425–4439, 2000. , et al.,
- A comprehensive mass flux scheme for cumulus parameterisation on large scale models, Mon. Weather Rev., 117, 1779–1800, 1989. ,
- United Kingdom, International collaborative FSA study—Crew performance and voyage cycles, Rep. MSC 76/INF.6, Int. Mar. Organ., London, 30 Aug. 2002.
- United Nations, 1996 Energy Statistics Yearbook, New York, 1998.
- Quantification of emissions from ships associated with ship movements between ports in the European Community, Rep. 06177.02121, Entec, Northwich, England, 2002. , et al.,
- Shipping, Delft Univ. Press, Delft, Netherlands, 1997. , and ,
- Fast-J: Accurate simulation of in- and below cloud photolysis in tropospheric chemical models, J. Atmos. Chem., 37, 245–282, 2000. , , and ,
- Shipping Statistics, Natl. Cent. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo., 1999. ,
- Information About the VOS Fleet, Natl. Cent. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo., 2001. ,
- Documentation That Norwegian Oil Rigs are Included as Ships, Natl. Cent. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo., 2002. ,