Composition and Chemistry
Seasonal NH3 emission estimates for the eastern United States based on ammonium wet concentrations and an inverse modeling method
Article first published online: 13 AUG 2003
Copyright 2003 by the American Geophysical Union.
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres (1984–2012)
Volume 108, Issue D15, 16 August 2003
How to Cite
2003), Seasonal NH3 emission estimates for the eastern United States based on ammonium wet concentrations and an inverse modeling method, J. Geophys. Res., 108, 4477, doi:10.1029/2002JD003063, D15., , , and (
- Issue published online: 13 AUG 2003
- Article first published online: 13 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 21 OCT 2002
- Characterization of atmospheric ammonia emissions from swine waste storage and treatment lagoons, J. Geophys. Res., 105(D9), 11,535–11,545, 2000. , , and ,
- Ammonia emission research: From emission factors to process descriptions, EUROTRAC Newsl. 20, pp. 2–10, Int. Sci. Secr., Munich, Germany, 1998. , , , , and ,
- Inverse modeling of the global CO cycle: 1. Inversion of CO mixing ratios, J. Geophys. Res., 105(D2), 1909–1927, 2000. , , , and ,
- Models-3 Community Multiscale Air Quality (CMAQ) model aerosol component: 1. Model description, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D6), 4183, doi:10.1029/2001JD001409, 2003. , and ,
- The Regional Particulate Matter Model: 1. Model description and preliminary results, J. Geophys. Res., 100(D12), 26,191–26,209, 1995. , and ,
- Inverse modeling of annual atmospheric CO2 sources and sinks: 1. Method and control inversion, J. Geophys. Res., 104(D21), 26,161–26,178, 1999. , , , , and ,
- A global high-resolution emission inventory for ammonia, Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 11, 561–587, 1997. , , , , , and ,
- Weekly and daily precipitation chemistry network comparisons in the eastern U. S.: NADP/NTN vs. MAP3S/AIRMON, Atmos. Environ., 32, 3749–3765, 1998. , and ,
- Dynamically consistent formulations in meteorological and air quality models for multiscale atmospheric studies. Part II: Mass conservation issues, J. Atmos. Sci., 56, 3808–3820, 1999. ,
- Byun, D. W., and J. K. S. Ching (Eds.), Science Algorithms of the EPA Models-3 Community Multiscale Air Quality Model (CMAQ) Modeling System, EPA/600/R-99/030, Off. of Res. Dev., Research Triangle Park, N.C., 1999.
- The Regional Acid Deposition Model and Engineering Model, National Acid Precipitation Assessment Program, Acidic Deposition: State of Science and Technology, vol. 1, NAPAP SOS/T Rep. 4, Natl. Acid Precip. Assess. Program, Washington, D. C., 1990. , et al.,
- Inverse modeling of biogenic isoprene emissions, Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 3007–3010, 1996. , , , and ,
- On using inverse methods for resolving emissions with large spatial inhomogeneities, J. Geophys. Res., 102(D13), 16,023–16,036, 1997. , , , , and ,
- Dry deposition calculations for the Clean Air Status and Trends Network, Atmos. Environ., 31, 3667–3678, 1997. , , and ,
- A three-dimensional model of the global ammonia cycle, J. Atmos. Chem., 19, 331–369, 1994. , and ,
- PSU/NCAR mesoscale modeling system tutorial class notes (MM5 modeling system version 2), Natl. Cent. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo., 1998. , , , , , and ,
- Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Data Quality Information for the Eulerian Model Evaluation Field Study Surface Network,, vol. 2, Analysis of Methods Suitability, Representativeness, Network Comparability, and Data Quality, EPRI TR-102522-V2, Palo Alto, Calif., 1994.
- A sensitivity study of the discrete Kalman filter (DKF) to initial condition discrepancies, J. Geophys. Res., 106(D16), 17,939–17,952, 2001. , and ,
- Developing seasonal ammonia emission estimates with an inverse modeling technique, in Proceedings of the 2nd International Nitrogen Conference on Science and Policy, Sci. World, 1(11–S2), 262–356, 2001. , , , , and ,
- Monthly and Annual Bias in Weekly (NADP/NTN) versus Daily (AIRMoN) Precipitation Chemistry Data in the eastern U.S.A. Atmos. Environ., 36, 5197–5206, 2002. , , and ,
- A description of the fifth-generation Penn State/NCAR mesoscale model (MM5), NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-398+STR,117 pp., Natl. Cent. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo., 1994. , , and ,
- Optimizing an inverse method to deduce time-varying emissions of trace gases, J. Geophys. Res., 101(D17), 22,823–22,831, 1996. , , and ,
- Atmospheric ammonia exchange on a healthland in Denmark, Atmos. Environ., 32, 461–464, 1998. , , and ,
- Feasibility of determining surface emissions of trace gases using an inverse method in a three-dimensional chemical transport model, J. Geophys. Res., 98, 5183–5197, 1993. , and ,
- Effect of manure additive on ammonia emission from swine finishing buildings, Trans. ASAE, 43, 1895–1902, 2000. , , , , , , , , and ,
- Inverse modeling of methane sources and sinks using the adjoint of a global transport model, J. Geophys. Res., 104(D21), 26,137–26,160, 1999. , , , , and ,
- Atmospheric budget of acetone, J. Geophys. Res., 107(D10), 4100, doi:10.1029/2001JD000694, 2002. , , , , , , , and ,
- Comparability and precision of MAP3S and NADP/NTN precipitation chemistry data at an acidic site in eastern North America, Atmos. Environ., Part A, 27, 1993–2008, 1993. , and ,
- Factors including trace metal, sulfate, and hydrogen ion concentrations in rain, Atmos. Environ., 16, 1701–1709, 1982. ,
- Eulerian model evaluation field study (EMEFS): A summary of surface network measurements and data quality, Atmos. Environ., 30, 227–238, 1996. , and ,
- Models-3 Community Multiscale Air Quality (CMAQ) model aerosol component: 2. Model evaluation, J. Geophys. Res., 108(D6), 4184, doi:10.1029/2001JD001410, 2003. , , , and ,
- Estimation of emission adjustments from the application of four-dimensional data assimilation to photochemical air quality modeling, Atmos. Environ., 35, 2879–2894, 2001a. , and ,
- Emission strength validation using four-dimensional data assimilation: Application to primary aerosol and precursors to ozone and secondary aerosol, J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc., 51, 1538–1550, 2001b. , and ,
- National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NADP), National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NRSP-3)/National Trends Network, NADP Program Off. Ill. State Water Surv., Champaign, 2001.
- National Atmospheric Deposition Program (NADP), Quality assurance report 2000, NADP Program Off. Ill. State Water Surv., Champaign, Nov. 2002.
- The influence of increased isoprene emissions on regional ozone modeling, J. Geophys. Res., 103(D19), 25,611–25,629, 1998. , , , , , and ,
- Direct wet and dry deposition of ammonia, nitric acid, ammonium, and nitrate to the Tampa Bay Estuary, FL, USA, Atmos. Environ., 35, 3947–3955, 2001. , , and ,
- Ammonia concentrations and fluxes over a forest in the midwestern USA, Atmos. Environ., 35, 5645–5656, 2001. , , , and ,
- Application of a simple regression model to acid rain data, Can. J. Stat., 21, 331–346, 1993. , , and ,
- The second generation regional acid deposition model chemical mechanism for regional air quality modeling, J. Geophys. Res., 95(D10), 16,343–16,367, 1990. , , and ,
- Acid deposition models for detecting the effect of changes in emissions: An exploratory investigation utilizing meteorological variables, Atmos. Environ., Part A, 26, 3019–3028, 1992. , and ,
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), User's guide to Mobile 5 (Mobile Source Emission Factor Model), EPA-AA-AQAB-94-01, Washington, D. C., 1994.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), National air pollution trends: 1990–1998, EPA 454/R-00-002, Washington, D. C., 2000. (Available as PB2000-108054 from Natl. Tech. Inf. Serv., Springfield, Va.).
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), Review of emissions factors and methodologies to estimate ammonia emissions from animal waste handling, EPA-600/R-02-017,Washington, D. C., 2002.
- Parameterization of surface resistances to gaseous dry deposition in regional-scale numerical models, Atmos. Environ., 23, 1293–1304, 1989. ,
- A computationally efficient Kalman smoother for the evaluation of the CH4 budget in Europe, Appl. Math. Model., 23, 109–129, 1999. , , , , and ,
- A comparative review of inorganic aerosol thermodynamic equilibrium modules: Similarities, differences, and their likely causes, Atmos. Environ., 34, 117–137, 2000. , , , , , and ,