Water Policy, Economics, and Systems Analysis
Strengthening river basin institutions: The Global Environment Facility and the Danube River Basin
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2004
Copyright 2004 by the American Geophysical Union.
Water Resources Research
Volume 40, Issue 8, August 2004
How to Cite
2004), Strengthening river basin institutions: The Global Environment Facility and the Danube River Basin, Water Resour. Res., 40, W08S08, doi:10.1029/2003WR002936.(
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 25 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Received: 3 NOV 2003
- 1992), The Danube: Dams over troubled waters, Nature, 355, 289. (
- 2002), Resurrected sovereignties: The Danube River Basin and the domestic-international nexus in central Europe, paper presented at the 43rd Annual Convention, Int. Stud. Assoc., New Orleans, La., March . (
- 2002), International Waters Program study, final report, Monit. and Eval. Team, Global Environ. Facil., Washington, D. C. , and (
- 1999), Regional public goods in international assistance, in Global Public Goods: International Cooperation in the 21st Century, edited by I. Kaul, I. Grunberg, and M. A. Stren, pp. 436–449, U. N. Dev. Programme, New York. , and (
- 1999), International framework for the management of transboundary water resources, Water Int., 24(2), 86–94. (
- 2002), The drama of the commons, in The Drama of the Commons, edited by E. Ostrom et al., pp. 3–35, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C. , , , and (
- 2002), Monitoring and evaluation indicators for GEF International Waters Projects, Monit. and Eval. Working Pap. 10, Global Environ. Facil., Washington, D. C. (
- 1997), Joint institutional arrangements for addressing transboundary water resources issues—Lessons for the GEF, Water Resour. Forum, 21, 127–137. , and (
- 2003), Water ecosystems: Our planet's life support system, paper presented at the World Environment Day, U. N. Environ. Programme, Beirut, Lebanon, 5 June . (
- Environment News Service (1999), Danube River ecosystem caught in Balkan War, 7 May .
- Environmental Programme for the Danube River Basin (1995), Strategic action plan for the Danube River Basin, 1995–2005, Task Force for Environ. Programme for the Danube River Basin, Vienna, Austria.
- European Environment Agency (2003), Mapping the impacts of recent natural disasters and technological accidents in Europe, Rep. 35, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1990), The nature of common-pool resource problems, Rationality Soc., 2, 335–358. , , and (
- Global Environment Facility (1996), Operational Strategy of the Global Environment Facility, report, Washington, D. C. (Available at http://www.gefweb.org/public/opstrat/ops.htm).
- Global Environment Facility (2001), Project performance report, Washington, D. C. (Available at http://www.gefweb.org/public/opstrat/ops.htm).
- Global Environment Facility (2002), The first decade of the Global Environment Facility: Second overall performance study, report, Washington, D. C. (Available at http://www.gefweb.org/1Full_Report-FINAL-2-26-02.pdf).
- Global Environment Facility (2003), Strategic partnership on the Danube/Black Sea Basin: World Bank-GEF Nutrient Reduction Investment Fund, Tranche 3, report, Washington, D. C. (Available at http://www.gefweb.org/Documents/Council_Documents/GEF_C21/IW_-_Regional_-_Nutrient_Reduction_Danube_River_and_Black_Sea_-_Pro._Doc.pdf).
- 1993), The effectiveness of international environmental institutions, in Institutions for the Earth: Sources of Effective International Environmental Protection, edited by P. M. Haas, R. O. Keohane, and M. A. Levy, pp. 3–26, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass. , , and (
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River Permanent Secretariat (2001), Joint action programme for the Danube River Basin, January 2001–December 2005, report, Vienna, Austria, 31 Jan.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (1997), Biodiversity, international waters and the Global Environment Facility: An IUCN guide to developing project proposals for the GEF, Gland, Switzerland.
- 2000), Epic poisoning of Europe's rivers, Christian Sci. Monit. 16 Feb. (
- 1990), The Danube River Basin: Negotiating settlements to transboundary environmental issues, Nat. Resour. J., 30(3), 629–660. (
- 1999), Developing the Danube River Basin Pollution Reduction Program: Terminal evaluation, Rep. RER/96/G31, U. N. Off. for Proj. Serv., New York, June . , , , and (
- 1999), The political economy of international cooperation, in Global Public Goods: International Cooperation in the 21st Century, edited by I. Kaul, I. Grunberg, and M. A. Stren, pp. 51–64, U. N. Dev. Programme, New York. (
- Miles, E. L., A. Underdal, S. Andresen, J. Wettestad, T. Skodvin, and E. M. Carlin (Eds.) (2002), Environmental Regime Effectiveness: Confronting Theory With Evidence, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1998), Managing transboundary resources, Environment, 40(8), 10–15, 36–41. , and (
- 1997), The Danube: A River Basin in Transition, Kluwer Acad., Norwell, Mass. (
- 2000), Multicountry project arrangements: Report of a thematic review, Monit. Eval. Working Pap. 3, Global Environ. Facil., Washington, D. C., Sept. , , , and (
- 1977), Public goods and public choices, in Alternatives for Delivering Public Services: Toward Improved Performance, edited by E. S. Savas, pp. 7–49, Westview, Boulder, Colo. , and (
- 1992), Economic and institutional issues: International river basin, in Country Experiences With Water Resources Management: Economic, Institutional, Technological and Environmental Issues, edited by G. Le Moigne et al., pp. 63–69, World Bank, Washington, D. C. (
- 2000), Institutional changes in global water: Trends, patterns and implications, Water Policy, 2, 175–199. , and (
- 2002), The Global Environment Facility: Forging partnerships and fostering knowledge transfer to sustain transboundary waters in Europe, Central Asia and around the world, paper presented at Convention on Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, the Second International Conference, U. N. Econ. Comm. for Eur., Miedzyzdroje, Poland, 21 – 24 , April . , and (
- 1994), Environmental Diplomacy: Negotiating More Effective Global Agreements, Oxford Univ. Press, New York. (
- United Nations (2003), Water for People, Water for Life, UNESCO Publ., New York.
- United Nations Development Programme and Global Environment Facility (2003), Strengthening the implementation capacities for nutrient reduction and transboundary cooperation in the Danube River Basin (Tranche 2), project document, New York, Sept.
- 2000), Water management policy and its principles within the European Union, Soc. Manage. Sci., 8(2), 173–177. (
- 1998), Reflections on the 50-year international search for integrated water management, Water Policy, 1, 21–27. (
- World Bank (1998), Assessing Aid: What Works, What Doesn't, and Why, Oxford Univ. Press, New York.
- World Wildlife Fund (2001), World Wildlife Fund activities across Europe to assist the implementation of the water framework directive and integrated river management, report, Eur. Freshwater Programme, Copenhagen, June . (Available at http://www.panda.org/downloads/europe/WFD-WWFact.pdf).
- 1994), Global Water Resource Issues, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York. , , and (
- Young, O. (Ed.) (1999), The Effectiveness of International Environmental Regimes: Causal Connections and Behavioral Mechanisms, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- 2002), Institutional interplay: The environmental consequences of cross-scale interactions, in The Drama of the Commons, edited by E. Ostrom et al., pp. 263–291, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C. (