Warming of the world ocean, 1955–2003
Article first published online: 22 JAN 2005
Copyright 2005 by the American Geophysical Union.
Geophysical Research Letters
Volume 32, Issue 2, January 2005
How to Cite
2005), Warming of the world ocean, 1955–2003, Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L02604, doi:10.1029/2004GL021592., , and (
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 22 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 24 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 22 SEP 2004
 We present new estimates of the variability of ocean heat content based on: a) additional data that extends the record to more recent years; b) additional historical data for earlier years. During 1955–1998 world ocean heat content (0–3000 m) increased 14.5 × 1022 J corresponding to a mean temperature increase of 0.037°C at a rate of 0.20 Wm−2 (per unit area of Earth's total surface area).