Validation of a 3D bistatic microwave scattering measurement setup
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2008
Copyright 2008 by the American Geophysical Union.
Volume 43, Issue 4, August 2008
How to Cite
2008), Validation of a 3D bistatic microwave scattering measurement setup, Radio Sci., 43, RS4018, doi:10.1029/2008RS003836., , , , , , and (
- Issue published online: 28 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 28 APR 2008
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2008
- Scattering and diffraction electromagnetic;
- electromagnetic measurement;
- anechoic chamber
 We present a 3D spherical bistatic experimental setup developed in the anechoic chamber of Institut Fresnel in Marseille, France, for scattering measurements of targets in the microwave domain, both in copolarization and cross-polarization. We first describe the geometry of the setup, the measurement protocol, and the calibration process. The results obtained for different metallic and dielectric targets are then compared to numerical simulations, computed either using the coupled dipole method or Mie theory. These comparisons are used to validate the algorithms and the setup, as well as to provide information on the accuracy of the measurements.