Crary Lab dedicated in Antarctica

Authors


Abstract

A new $23 million science laboratory was dedicated on November 5, 1991, at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The laboratory was named the Albert P. Crary Science and Engineering Center, in honor of geophysicist andglaciologist Albert P. Crary, the first person to set foot on both the North and South Poles. Crary died in 1987.

The Crary Laboratory contains state-ofthe-art scientific instrumentation that will facilitate international polar research and advancement of science and technology. Primarily, it will support funded principal investigators by providing much-needed laboratory space, analytical instrumentation, and staging areas for a wide range of scientific disciplines. The facility will replace old and outdated science buildings that were built as early as 1959.

Ancillary