Hydrogeochemistry and Water Chemistry
Regional interpretation of water-quality monitoring data
Version of Record online: 1 DEC 1997
This paper is not subject to U.S. copyright. Published in 1997 by the American Geophysical Union.
Water Resources Research
Volume 33, Issue 12, pages 2781–2798, December 1997
How to Cite
1997), Regional interpretation of water-quality monitoring data, Water Resour. Res., 33(12), 2781–2798, doi:10.1029/97WR02171., , and (
- Issue online: 1 DEC 1997
- Version of Record online: 1 DEC 1997
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 1997
- Manuscript Received: 31 DEC 1996
- Data from selected U.S. Geological Survey water-quality monitoring networks (WQN) on CD-ROM, U.S. Geol. Surv. Open File Rep.96-337, 79, 1996. , , , ,
- Water resources of the Kennebec River Basin, Maine, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 198, 235, 1907. , ,
- Estimation in lognormal linear models, J. Am. Stat. Assoc., 65, 198–211, 1970. , ,
- Plant cover, runoff, and sediment yield relationships on Mancos shales in western Colorado, Water Resour. Res., 6, 783–790, 1970. , ,
- Practical Geostatistics, Appl. Sci., London, 1979. ,
- Estimating constituent loads, Water Resour. Res., 25, 937–942, 1989. , , , , ,
- The validity of a simple statistical model for estimating fluvial constituent loads: An empirical study involving nutrient loads entering Chesapeake Bay, Water Resour. Res., 28, 2353–2363, 1992. , , , , ,
- Spatio-temporal statistical modeling of livestock wastes in streams, J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat., 2, 24–47, 1997. , ,
- STORET Reach Retrieval Documentation, U.S. Environ. Prot. Agency, Washington, D. C., 1985. , , , , , ,
- The quality of surface waters in the United States, Part I-Analyses of waters east of the one hundredth meridian, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 236, 123, 1909. ,
- The quality of surface waters in Minnesota, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 193, 171, 1907. , ,
- Techniques for estimation of storm-runoff loads, volumes, and selected constituent concentrations in urban watersheds in the United States, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2363, 44, 1990. , ,
- Water in Environmental Planning, 818, W. H. Freeman, New York, 1978. , ,
- The jackknife, the bootstrap and other resampling plans, CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied MathematicsSoc. for Ind. and Appl. Math., Philadelphia, Pa., 1982. ,
- The national stream quality accounting network (NASQAN)—Some questions and answers, U.S. Geol. Surv. Circ., 719, 23, 1975. , ,
- Predicting sediment yield in western United States, J. Hydraul. Div., Am. Soc. Civil Eng., 98, 2073–2085, 1972. ,
- An Overview of the RFF Environmental Data Inventory: Methods, Sources and Preliminary Results, 1, 111, Resour. for the Future, Washington, D. C., 1984. , ,
- Mean square error of regression-based constituent transport estimates, Water Resour. Res., 26, 2069–2077, 1990. , , ,
- Factors affecting herbicide yields in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, June 1994, Water Resour. Bull., 32, 965–984, 1996. , ,
- Measurement and prediction of sediment yields in Wisconsin streams, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water-Resour. Invest. Rep54-75, 27, 1976. ,
- Concepts for a national water-quality assessment program, U.S. Geol. Surv. Circ., 1021, 1988. , , ,
- Regional nitrogen budgets and riverine N and P fluxes for the drainages to the North Atlantic Ocean: Natural and human influences, Biogeochemistry, 35, 75–139, 1996. , et al.,
- Data requirements for kriging: Estimation and network design, Water Resour. Res., 17, 1641–1650, 1981. , ,
- Nitrogen retention in forest soils, J. Environ. Qual., 21, 1–12, 1992. ,
- Twenty years of the clean water act: Has U.S. water quality improved?, Environment, 35, 16–2034–41, 1993. , ,
- Quality of water in the Susquehanna River drainage basin, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 108, 76, 1904. , ,
- Regional analysis of the effects of land use on stream-water quality, methodology and application in the Susquehanna River Basin, Pennsylvania and New York, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Resour. Invest., 78–12, 60, 1978. , , , ,
- An EPA program for monitoring ecological status and trends, Environ. Monit. Assess., 17, 67–78, 1991. , , ,
- Carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus transport by world rivers, Am. J. Sci., 232, 401–450, 1982. ,
- Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis, John Wiley, New York, 1982. , ,
- Nutrients in ground water and surface water of the United States—An analysis of data through 1992, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Resour. Invest. Rep.95-4031, 74, 1995. , , , , ,
- Logistic model of nitrate in streams of the upper-midwestern United States, J. Environ. Qual., 26, 1223–1230, 1997. , , ,
- , National Atmospheric Deposition Program, NADP/NTN Annual data summary: Precipitation chemistry in the United States 1987, Nat. Resour. Ecol. Lab., Colo. State Univ., Fort Collins, 1988.
- , National Research Council, Managing troubled waters: The role of marine environmental monitoring, Committee on a systems assessment of marine environmental monitoring, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C., 1990.
- , National Research Council, Managing wastewater in coastal urban areas, Committee on wastewater management for coastal urban areas, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C., 1993.
- , National Research Council, National water quality assessment program: The challenge of national synthesis, Committee on U.S. Geological Survey water resources research, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C., 1994.
- The influence of land use on stream nutrient levelsEcol. Res. Ser. Rep. EPA-600/3-76-014U.S. Environ. Prot. Agency, Washington, D. C., 1976. ,
- Empirical relationships between land use/cover and stream water quality in an agricultural watershed, J. Environ. Manage., 26, 9–27, 1988. , ,
- Evaluation of environmental factors affecting yields of major dissolved ions of streams in the United States, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2228, 39, 1984. ,
- Summary of selected characteristics of large reservoirs in the United States and Puerto Rico 1988, U.S. Geol. Surv. Open File Rep90-163, 1990. , ,
- Nitrogen fixation by lichens and free-living micro-organisms, Nitrogen in Desert Ecosystems, US/IBP Syn. Ser., 9N. E. West, J. Skujins, 22–30, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1978. , , ,
- , SAS Institute Inc., SAS/ETS User's Guide, Version 62, Cary, N. C., 1993.
- State soil geographic (STATSGO) database for the conterminous United States, U. S. Geol. Surv. Open File Rep95-449, 1995. , ,
- Hydrologic units maps, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2294, 63, 1987. , , ,
- Denitrification in freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems: Ecological and geochemical significance, Limnol. Oceanogr., 33, 702–724, 1988. ,
- Stream water quality in the conterminous United States—Status and trends of selected indicators during the 1980's, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2400, 590, 1993a. , , ,
- Statistical modeling of water quality in regional watershedsWatershed ‘93, A national conference on watershed managementAlexandria, Va.March 21–24, 1993b. , , , , , ,
- Dissolved loads of rivers and surface water quantity/ quality relationships, Proceedings of a symposium held during the XVIII General Assembly of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics, Hamburg, West Germany, Aug. 15–27, 1983, IAHS Publ., 141, 131–143, 1983. ,
- Regional analysis of streamflow chemical quality in Texas, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Resour. Invest. Res., 8, 460–477, 1972. , ,
- Precipitation chemistry, Acid Deposition: Long-Term Trends, , 128–199, Natl. Res. Counc., Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, D. C., 1986. , , ,
- , U.S. Bureau of Census, Census of population and housing 1980: Master area reference file (MARF) 2, machine-readable data file, Washington, D. C., 1983.
- , U.S. Bureau of Census, 1987 Census of agriculture, Final county file, Washington, D. C., 1989.
- , U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Quality criteria for water, Washington, D. C., 1976.
- , U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, County-level fertilizer sales dataRep. PM-221Off. of Policy, Plann., and Eval., Washington, D. C., 1990a.
- , U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental investments-The cost of a clean environmentU.S. EPA-230/11-90-083, Washington, D. C., 1990b.
- , U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National water quality inventory: 1992 report to CongressEPA 841-R-94-001, Washington, D. C., 1994.
- , U.S. Geological Survey, National water summary 1985—Hydrologic events and surface-water resources, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 2300, 1986.
- , U.S. Soil Conservation Service, Summary report 1987—National resources inventory, Stat. Bull790U.S. Soil Conserv. Serv., Washington, D. C., 1989.
- , U.S. Soil Conservation Service,Agricultural waste management field handbook, in National Engineering Handbook,chap. 4, Washington, D. C., 1992.
- , U.S. Soil Conservation Service, State soil geographic (STATSGO) database, Publ., 1492, Natl. Soil Surv. Cent., Washington, D. C., 1994.
- The quality of the surface waters of California, U.S. Geol. Surv. Water Supply Pap., 237, 142, 1910. , ,
- A spatial model to aggregate point-source and nonpoint-source water-quality data for large areas, Comput. Geosci., 18, 1055–1073, 1992. , , , , ,