International Geophysical Symposium marks opening of C. T. Elvey Building
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
©1970. American Geophysical Union. All Rights Reserved.
Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union
Volume 51, Issue 10, page 674, October 1970
How to Cite
1970), International Geophysical Symposium marks opening of C. T. Elvey Building, Eos Trans. AGU, 51(10), 674–674, doi:10.1029/EO051i010p00674-01.(
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Cited By
The inaugural symposium to mark the completion of the new home of The Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska was held June 26–July 5. The theme of the symposium was Geophysics and Geology of the Bering Sea Region. The principal objectives of the symposium were to review the state of knowledge about the Bering Sea region and to improve communications and understanding between the North Pacific Nations, the USSR, Japan, Canada, and the U.S., whose scientists are involved in many aspects of research on the Bering Sea and adjacent regions.
An open house in the C.T. Elvey Building followed the opening session of the symposium in the morning of June 26. The new building, named for the former Director of the Geophysical Institute and Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, is four times the size of the older building that housed the Institute. It will eventually hold expanded facilities for research in Geophysics.