Lustbüraz Observatory opens
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
©1977. American Geophysical Union. All Rights Reserved.
Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union
Volume 58, Issue 7, pages 581–582, July 1977
How to Cite
1977), Lustbüraz Observatory opens, Eos Trans. AGU, 58(7), 581–582, doi:10.1029/EO058i007p00581.(
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Cited By
The Lustbühel-Graz Observatory (latitude, ∼47°4′N; longitude, ∼15°30′E; altitude, ∼480 m ), located on the eastern outskirts of Graz, Austria, opened in December 1976. The observatory is at the disposal of several institutes of the two universities of Graz and the Institute of Space Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Extending over 38 m east to west, the observatory has a cupola at each end. The eastern cupola houses the 40-cm reflecting telescope of the Astronomisches Institut. The instrument is used mainly for photometric research on asteroids. Study of their rotation periods and phase relationships will lead to knowledge of the sizes and axial positions of the tiny albedos.