Microarray analysis of murine palatogenesis: Temporal expression of genes during normal palate development
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2003
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 153–165, April 2003
How to Cite
Brown, N. L., Knott, L., Halligan, E., Yarram, S. J., Mansell, J. P. and Sandy, J. R. (2003), Microarray analysis of murine palatogenesis: Temporal expression of genes during normal palate development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 45: 153–165. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0854.2004.00686.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAY 2003
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2003
- Received 26 July 2002; revised 8 October 2002; accepted 16 January 2003.
- 1988. Retinoic acid alters EGF receptor expression during palatogenesis. Development 102, 853–867. , &
- 1994. Alterations in vascular pattern of the developing palate in normal and spontaneous cleft palate mouse embryos. Cleft Palate Craniofac. J. 31, 332–344. , , , &
- 1997. Cleft palate and decreased brain gamma-aminobutyric acid in mice lacking the 67-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 6496–6499. , , et al.
- 1979. Palate morphogenesis. III. Changes in cell shape and orientation during shelf elevation. Teratology 20, 249–278. , &
- 2000. The LIM domain: regulation by association. Mech. Dev. 91, 5–17.
- 1999. Expression of chick Barx-1 and its differential regulation by FGF-8 and BMP signaling in the maxillary primordia. Dev. Dyn. 214, 291–302. , , , &
- 2000. What is GABAergic inhibition? How is it modified in epilepsy? Epilepsia 41, S90–S95. , , , &
- 1988. Single subunits of the GABAA receptor form ion channels with properties of the native receptor. Science 242, 577–579. , , , &
- 2001. Effect of exercise training on metallothionein levels of hypertensive rats. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 33, 724–728. , , &
- 2000. MSX1 mutation is associated with orofacial clefting and tooth agenesis in humans. Nat. Genet. 24, 342–343. , , &
- 1986. The effects of chlorcyclizine-induced glycosaminoglycan alterations on palatal mesenchyme-basal lamina relationships in the mouse. Am. J. Anat. 176, 379–389. &
- 1997. Wnt signaling: a common theme in animal development. Genes Dev. 11, 3286–3305. &
- 1995. Biochemical, structural and transglutaminase substrate properties of human loricrin, the major epidermal cornified cell envelope protein. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 26 382–26 390. , , et al.
- 1992. The fate of medial edge epithelial cells during palatal fusion in vitro: an analysis by DiI labelling and confocal microscopy. Development 114, 379–388. &
- 2000. Genetics of nonsyndromic cleft lip and palate: a review of international studies and data regarding the Italian population. Cleft Palate Craniofac. J. 37, 33–40. , , , , &
- 1994. The creatine kinase system in smooth muscle. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 133–134, 221–232.
- 1997. Cleft palate in mice with a targeted mutation in the gamma-aminobutyric acid-producing enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase 67. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 11 451–11 455. , , &
- 1998. Mesenchymal changes associated with retinoic acid induced cleft palate in CD-1 mice. J. Craniofac. Genet. Dev. Biol. 18, 88–99. , &
- 1998. Cathepsin K mRNA detection is restricted to osteoclasts during fetal mouse development. J. Bone Mineral Res. 13, 673–682. , , , &
- 1992. Is there a genetic relationship between epilepsy and birth defects? Neurology 42, 63–67. , &
- 1995. Expression and regulation of brain metallothionein. Neurochem. Int. 27, 1–22. , , et al.
- 1989. Medial edge epithelium transforms to mesenchyme after embryonic palatal shelves fuse. Dev. Biol. 131, 455–474. &
- 1992. Ectodermal dysplasias associated with clefting: significance of scalp dermatitis. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 27, 249–256. , &
- 2000. Rapid disappearance of the medial epithelial seam during palatal fusion occurs by multifocal breakdown that is preceded by expression of alpha smooth muscle actin in the epithelium. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 44, 223–231. , , et al.
- 2000. Intrinsic regulation of differentiation markers in human epidermis, hard palate and buccal mucosa. Arch. Oral Biol. 45, 149–158. &
- 1989. Calmodulin quantification and immunolocalization in developing embryonic orofacial tissue. J. Craniofac. Genet. Dev. Biol. 9, 161–172. &
- 1971. Experimental studies of vascular development in normal and cleft palate mouse embryos. Cleft Palate J. 8, 101–117. &
- 1998. Muscle-specific cell ablation conditional upon Cre-mediated DNA recombination in transgenic mice leads to massive spinal and cranial motoneuron loss. Dev. Biol. 197, 234–247. , , , &
- 1998. Oral and craniofacial disorders. In Practical Genetic Counselling, 5th edn, p. 211. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- 1997. Mice devoid of gamma-aminobutyrate type A receptor beta3 subunit have epilepsy, cleft palate, and hypersensitive behavior. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 4143–4148. , , et al.
- 1993. Expression and modulation of annexin VIII in human leukemia-lymphoma cell lines. Leuk. Res. 17, 949–957. , , &
- 1978. The ultrastructure of the mesenchymal element of the palatal shelves of the fetal mouse. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 43, 185–194.
- 1998. Defects in limb, craniofacial, and thymic development in Jagged2 mutant mice. Genes Dev. 12, 1046–1057. , , et al.
- 1998. The role of cell adhesion molecules in craniofacial development. J. R. Coll. Surg. Edinb. 43, 223–229. , , , &
- 2000. Metallothionein-null mice express altered genes during development. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 27, 458–461. , , et al.
- 1995. Craniofacial and dental characteristics of Silver–Russell syndrome. Am. J. Med. Genet. 56, 229–236. , , , , &
- 2000. Ca (2+) /calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II is stimulated by Wnt and Frizzled homologs and promotes ventral cell fates in Xenopus. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 12 701–12 711. , , &
- 1995. Retinoic acid-induced stress protein synthesis in the mouse. Life Sci. 56, 1767–1778. , Jr, et al.
- 2001. Genetics of cleft lip and palate. In Management of Cleft Lip and Palate (eds D. A.Watson, D.Sell & P. Grunwell), pp. 87–104. Whurr Publishers, London.
- 1998. Association of MSX1 and TGFB3 with nonsyndromic clefting in humans. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 63, 557–568. , , et al.
- 1991. Function and pharmacology of multiple GABAA receptor subunits. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 12, 49–51. &
- 1984. Epithelial proliferation and development of rugae in relation to palatal shelf elevation in the mouse. J. Anat. 138, 251–258.
- 1999. A novel genodermatosis caused by mutations in plakophilin 1, a structural component of desmosomes. J. Dermatol. 26, 764–769.
- 1997. Mutations in the plakophilin 1 gene result in ectodermal dysplasia/skin fragility syndrome. Nat. Genet. 17, 240–244. , , et al.
- 1999. Epidermal growth factor receptor function is necessary for normal craniofacial development and palate closure. Nat. Genet. 22, 69–73. , , et al.
- 2001. Evaluation of two putative susceptibility loci for oral clefts in the Danish population. Am. J. Epidemiol. 153, 1007–1015. , , &
- 2000. Duplication of 7p11.2-p13, including Grb10 in Silver–Russell syndrome. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 66, 36–46. , , et al.
- 1997. The expression of the mouse Zic1, Zic2, and Zic3 gene suggests an essential role for Zic genes in body pattern formation. Dev. Biol. 182, 299–313. , , et al.
- 1997. Xenopus Zic3, a primary regulator both in neural and neural crest development. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 11 980–11 985. , , &
- 1990. Functional comparison of neurotransmitter receptor subtypes in mammalian central nervous system. Physiol. Rev. 70, 513–565. , &
- 2002. Differential expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing (RALDH) enzymes during fetal development and organ differentiation in the mouse. Mech. Dev. 110, 165–171. , , , &
- 1998. A role for SOX1 in neural determination. Development 125, 1967–1978. , , &
- 1973. Acid mucopolysaccharide synthesis in the secondary palate of the developing rat at the time of rotation and fusion. Dev. Biol. 32, 230–237. , , &
- 1989. Importance of a novel GABAA receptor subunit for benzodiazepine pharmacology. Nature 338, 582–585. , , et al.
- 1995. Transforming growth factor-beta 3 is required for secondary palate fusion. Nat. Genet. 11, 409–414. , , et al.
- 2002. A complex syndrome of left-right axis, central nervous system and axial skeleton defects in Zic3 mutant mice. Development 129, 2293–2302. , , et al.
- 1997. TGFbeta2 knockout mice have multiple developmental defects that are non-overlapping with other TGFbeta knockout phenotypes. Development 124, 2659–2670. , , et al.
- 1999. Expression of Wnt signalling pathway genes during tooth development. Mech. Dev. 85, 197–200. &
- 1994. Msx1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nat. Genet. 6, 348–356. &
- 1969. Electron microscopic and histochemical examination of oral epithelial–mesenchymal interaction (programmed cell death). J. Dent. Res. 48, 652–660. &
- 2000. Ectodermally derived FGF8 defines the maxillomandibular region in the early chick embryo: epithelial–mesenchymal interactions in the specification of the craniofacial ectomesenchyme. Dev. Biol. 228, 73–85. , &
- 2001. Glutamate signalling in non-neuronal tissues. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 22, 174–181. &
- 2000. Osteopontin. Crit. Rev. Oral Biol. Medical 11, 279–303. , &
- 1998. Two isoforms of glutamate decarboxylase: why? Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 19, 500–505. &
- 1994. The enigma of cephalogenesis. Cleft Palate Craniofac. J. 31, 91–96.
- 2000. Analysis of the candidate genes responsible for non-syndromic cleft lip and palate in Japanese people. Clin. Sci. (Colch). 99, 105–111. , , , , &
- 1997. Linking Frizzled and Wnt signaling in Drosophila development. Development 124, 4515–4521. , &
- 2001. Effect of butyl benzyl phthalate on reproduction and zinc metabolism. Toxicology 159, 55–68. , , et al.
- 1994. Calmodulin and the regulation of smooth muscle contraction. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 135, 21–41.
- 1998. London Dysmorphology Database. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 14, 59–88. &
- 1999. Comparative expression of the mouse Sox1, Sox2 and Sox3 genes from pre-gastrulation to early somite stages. Mech. Dev. 86, 197–201. &
- 1972. Myoneural maturation and function of the foetal rat tongue at the time of secondary palate closure. Arch. Oral Biol. 17, 673–682. , &
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126, 1211–1223. , , &
- 2000. Cathepsin K and the design of inhibitors of cathepsin K. Curr. Pharm. Des. 6, 1–24. &
- 1998. Interactions between Wingless and DFz2 during Drosophila wing development. Development 125, 3075–3085. &
- 1999. Isolated cleft palate in mice with a targeted mutation of the LIM homeobox gene lhx8. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 96, 15 002–15 006. , , et al.
- 1985. Role of neurotransmitters in palate development and teratologic implications. Prog. Clin. Biol. Res. 171, 283–294.
- 1984. Role of neurotransmitters in palate development. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 19, 37–63. &