Revised estimates of the annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2003
Volume 55, Issue 2, pages 378–390, April 2003
How to Cite
HOUGHTON, R. A. (2003), Revised estimates of the annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000. Tellus B, 55: 378–390. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0889.2003.01450.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2003
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2003
- (Manuscript received 8 January 2002; in final form 15 August 2002)
- 2001. Factors controlling long- and short-term sequestration of atmospheric CO2 in a mid-latitude forest. Science 294, 1688–1691. , , , , , and coauthors.
- 2000. Contributions of land-use history to carbon accumulation in U.S. forests. Science 290, 1148–1151. , , , , and
- China Agriculture Yearbook [multiple dates]. 19801991. Agricultural Publishing House, Editorial Board of China Agricultural yearbook, Beijing , China .
- 2002. Are tropical forests an important carbon sink? Reanalysis of the long-term plot data. Ecol. Appl. 12, 3–7.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 1990. 1989 Production Yearbook. FAO , Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 1993. Forest Resources Assessment 1990. Tropical countries. FAO Forestry Paper No. 112. FAO , Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 1996. Forest Resources Assessment 1990. Survey of tropical forest cover and study of change processes. FAO Forestry Paper 130. Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 1997. State of the World's Forests 1997. FAO , Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 2000. Assessing state and change in global forest cover: 2000 and beyond. Forest Resources Assessment Programme. Working Paper 31, FAO , Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 2001a. FAOSTAT DATA. http://apps.fao.org/
- FAO. 2001b. Global forest resources assessment 2000. Main report. FAO Forestry Paper 140, Rome , Italy .
- FAO/UNEP. 1981. Tropical Forest Resources Assessment Project. FAO , Rome , Italy .
- 2000. Global warming and tropical land-use change: Greenhouse gas emissions from biomass burning, decomposition and soils in forest conversion, shifting cultivation and secondary vegetation. Clim. Change 46, 115–158.
- 1994. Trends in carbon content of vegetation in south and southeast Asia associated with changes in land use. In: Effects of land use change on atmospheric CO2 concentrations: South and Southeast Asia as a case study. (ed. V. H. Dale). Springer-Verlag, New York , 201–229. and
- 2002. Combining remote sensing and ground census data to develop new maps of the distribution of rice agriculture in China. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. In press. , , , , , and
- 1998. State and change in carbon pools in the forests of tropical Africa. Global Change Biol. 4, 97–114. , , and
- 2000. Soil carbon cycling in a temperate forest: radiocarbon-based estimates of residence times, sequestration rates and partitioning of fluxes. Biogeochem. 51, 33–69. , , and
- 2002. Forest carbon sinks in the northern hemisphere. Ecol. Appl. 12, 891–899. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1995. Carbon dioxide uptake by an undisturbed tropical rain forest in southwest Amazonia, 1992 to 1993. Science 270, 778–780. , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1984. Quantifying changes in forest cover in the humid tropics: Overcoming current limitations. J. World Forest Res. Manag. 1, 3–63.
- 2002. Towards robust regional estimates of CO2 sources and sinks using atmospheric transport models. Nature 415, 626–630. , , , , and coauthors.
- 1994. The worldwide extent of land-use change. BioScience 44, 305–313.
- 1996. Terrestrial sources and sinks of carbon inferred from terrestrial data. Tellus 48B, 420–432.
- 1998. Historic role of forests in the global carbon cycle. In: (eds. G. H. Kohlmaier, M. Weber, and R. A. Houghton). Carbon dioxide mitigation in forestry and wood industry. Springer-Verlag, Berlin , Germany .
- 1999. The annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use 1850–1990. Tellus 51B, 298–313.
- 2000. A new estimate of global sources and sinks of carbon from land-use change. EOS 81 (19, Supplement), S281.
- 1995. Continental scale estimates of the biotic carbon flux from land cover change: 1850–1980. ORNL/CDIAC-79, NDP-050, Oak Ridge National Laboratory , Oak Ridge , Tenn . 144 pp. and
- 1999. Emissions of carbon from forestry and land-use change in tropical Asia. Global Change Biol. 5, 481–492. and
- 2000. Changes in terrestrial carbon storage in the United States. 1. The roles of agriculture and forestry. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 9, 125–144. and
- 2001. Carbon flux to the atmosphere from land-use changes: 1850 to 1990. ORNL/CDIAC-131, NDP-050/R1. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, US Department of Energy, Oak Ridge National Laboratory , Oak Ridge , Tenn . and
- 1999. A review of national emissions inventories from select non-Annex I countries: Implications for counting sources and sinks of carbon. Annu. Rev. Energy Environ. 24, 571–605. and
- 1983. Changes in the carbon content of terrestrial biota and soils between 1860 and 1980: A net release of CO2 to the atmosphere. Ecol. Monogr. 53, 235–262. , , , , , and
- 1999. The US carbon budget: contributions from land-use change. Science 285, 574–578. , and
- 2000a. Changes in terrestrial carbon storage in the United States. 2. The role of fire and fire management. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 9, 145–170. , and
- 2000b. Annual fluxes of carbon from deforestation and regrowth in the Brazilian Amazon. Nature 403, 301–304. , , , , and
- 2001. The spatial distribution of forest biomass in the Brazilian Amazon: A comparison of estimates. Global Change Biol. 7, 731–746. , , and
- 2001. Linking remote-sensing estimates of land cover and census statistics on land use to produce maps of land use of the conterminous United States. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 15, 673–685. , , and
- 2001. Estimating global land use change over the past 300 years: The HYDE database. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. 15, 417–433.
- 1999. A 70-year retrospective analysis of carbon fluxes in the Canadian forest sector. Ecol. Appl. 9, 526–547. and
- 1998. Carbon dioxide transfer over a central Amazonian rain forest. J. Geophys. Res. 103, 31593–31612. , , , , , and
- 1998. Tigers, rice, silk, and silt: Environment and economy in late imperial South China. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 2001. Carbon balance of the terrestrial biosphere in the twentieth century: Analyses of CO2, climate and land use effects with four process-based ecosystem models. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. 15, 183–206. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1980. Conversion of tropical moist forests. National Academy of Sciences Press, Washington , DC .
- 2001. Soil fertility limits carbon sequestration by forest ecosystems in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Nature 411, 469–472. , , , , and coauthors.
- 2001. Consistent land- and atmosphere-based US carbon sink estimates. Science 292, 2316–2320. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 1998. Changes in the carbon balance of tropical forests: Evidence from long-term plots. Science 282, 439–442. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2002. Revision of the global carbon budget due to changing air-sea oxygen fluxes. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. In press. , and
- 2001. The carbon cycle and atmospheric carbon dioxide. In: Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (eds. J. T. Houghton, Y. Ding, D. J. Griggs, M. Noguer, P. J. van der Linden, X. Dai, K. Maskell, and C. A. Johnson). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK 183–237. , , , , , , , , and
- 1999. Estimating historical changes in global land cover: Croplands from 1700 to 1992. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. 13, 997–1027. and
- 2002. Outgassing from Amazonian rivers and wetlands as a large tropical source of atmospheric CO2. Nature 416, 617–620. , , , and ,
- 2001. Deforestation in Costa Rica: A quantitative analysis using remote sensing imagery. Biotropica 33, 378–384. , and
- 2001. Limited carbon storage in soil and litter of experimental forest plots under increased atmospheric CO2. Nature 411, 466–469. and
- 1996. Growth trends in European forest – studies from 12 countries. Springer-Verlag, Berlin . , , and (eds).
- 2001. Tropical deforestation in the Bolivian Amazon. Environ. Conservation 28, 127–134. , , , , , and
- 2000. Strategies for monitoring tropical deforestation using satellite data. Int. J. Remote Sensing 21, 1461–1471. and
- US Department of Agriculture. 1992. Agriculture statistics database for the People's Republic of China. 1949–1992, Econ. Res. Serv., Washington, DC (Available at http://jan.mannlib.cornell.edu/datasets/international/90015/).