Epigenetics: Influence on Behavioral Disorders
Published Online: 15 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
How to Cite
Petronis, A. 2006. Epigenetics: Influence on Behavioral Disorders. eLS. .
- Published Online: 15 JUL 2006
Epigenetic modifications of the genome are critically important for normal functioning of a cell. In addition to DNA sequence variation, which has been the primary research target in human morbid biology, epigenetic dysregulation of genes may represent a fundamental mechanism of human diseases.
- neuropsychiatric disorders;
- Prader–Willi and Angelman syndromes;
- fragile X mental retardation;
- Rett syndrome;
- complex non-Mendelian diseases;
- DNA methylation;
- histone acetylation