Obesity in South Africa: The South African Demographic and Health Survey
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2002 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 10, Issue 10, pages 1038–1048, October 2002
How to Cite
Puoane, T., Steyn, K., Bradshaw, D., Laubscher, R., Fourie, J., Lambert, V. and Mbananga, N. (2002), Obesity in South Africa: The South African Demographic and Health Survey. Obesity Research, 10: 1038–1048. doi: 10.1038/oby.2002.141
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received for review January 1, 2002. Accepted for publication in final form July 03, 2002
- 3World Health Organization (1998) Obesity: preventing and managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland.
- 51989) The INTERSALT study: relations of body mass index to blood pressure. INTERSALT Co-operative Research Group. J Hum Hypertens. 3: 229–308., (
- 14National Institutes of Health Consensus Panel (1985) Health implications of obesity. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement. Ann Intern Med. 103: 1073–1077.
- 162000) The impact of urbanisation of physical, physiological and mental health of African in the North West Province of South Africa: the THUSA study. S Afr J Science. 96: 505–513., , , et al. (
- 171993) Cardiovascular risk factors in the black population of QwaQwa. S Afr J Clin Nutr. 6: 50–51., , , et al. (
- 182000) Rural/urban nutrition-related differentials among adult ethnic groups in South Africa, with special emphasis on the black population. S Afr J Clin Nutr. 13: S23–S28., (
- 19Statistics South Africa (1996) Report of the Census Evaluation Task Team of the Statistics Council on the Final Post-Enumeration Survey adjusted Count of the 1996 Population Census. http:www.statssa.gov.zadefault2.asp (Accessed May 9, 2002).
- 201982) Comparison between registries: age-standardized rates.In Waterhouse, J. Muir, C. Shanmugaratnam, K., and Powell, J. (eds). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. International Agency for Research on Cancer: Lyon, France. IV: 671–674., (
- 221996) Hypertension in the black community of the Cape Peninsula. The BRISK study. East Afr Med J. 73: 756–760., , , , , (
- 271940) Diet in the urban locations as indicated by the survey. In Janisch, M. (ed). A Study of African Income and Expenditure in 987 Families in Johannesburg. City of Johannesburg, Department of Non-European and Native Affairs: Johannesburg, South Africa.(
- 281996) Dietary Intake in an Urban African Population in South Africa—With Special Reference to the Nutrition Transition. Cape Town, South Africa University of Cape Town. Thesis.(