What's in a Name? Patients’ Preferred Terms for Describing Obesity
Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2012
2003 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 11, Issue 9, pages 1140–1146, September 2003
How to Cite
Wadden, T. A. and Didie, E. (2003), What's in a Name? Patients’ Preferred Terms for Describing Obesity. Obesity Research, 11: 1140–1146. doi: 10.1038/oby.2003.155
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received for review May 20, 2003; Accepted in final form July 23, 2003
- 41999) Effect of physician-delivered nutrition counseling training and an office-support program on saturated fat intake, weight, and serum lipid measurements in a hyperlipidemic population: Worcester Area Trial for Counseling in Hyperlipidemia (WATCH). Arch Intern Med 159: 725–731., , , et al (
- 52002) National patterns of physician activities related to obesity management. Arch Med Fam 631–638., , , (
- 7World Health Organization (1998) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic World Health Organization Geneva, Switzerland.
- 9Institute of Medicine (1995) Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight Management Programs Government Printing Office Washington, DC.
- 10National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (1998) Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: The evidence report. Obes Res 6: 51S–209S.
- 11National Heart Lung and Blood Institute and North American Association for the Study of Obesity (2000) Practical Guide to the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD.
- 121975) The stigma of overweight in everyday life. Bray, G eds. Obesity in Perspective 83–102. U.S. Government Printing Office Washington, DC.(
- 142002) Psychosocial consequences of obesity and weight loss. Wadden, TA Stunkard, AJ eds. Handbook of Obesity Treatment 144–169. Guilford Press New York, NY., , , (
- 152002) Obesity, weight management, and self-esteem. Wadden, TA Stunkard, AJ eds. Handbook of Obesity Treatment 480–493. Guilford Press New York, NY.(
- 211987) Family practice physicians’ beliefs, attitudes and practices regarding obesity. Am J Prev Med 3: 215–220., , , , (
- 25National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity (2002) Medical care for obese patients: advice for health care professionals. Am Fam Physician 65: 81–88.
- 272002) Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change. Guilford Press New York., (