Primary Care Physicians’ Attitudes about Obesity and Its Treatment
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2003 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 11, Issue 10, pages 1168–1177, October 2003
How to Cite
Foster, G. D., Wadden, T. A., Makris, A. P., Davidson, D., Sanderson, R. S., Allison, D. B. and Kessler, A. (2003), Primary Care Physicians’ Attitudes about Obesity and Its Treatment. Obesity Research, 11: 1168–1177. doi: 10.1038/oby.2003.161
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received for review February 07, 2003; Accepted in final form July 24, 2003
- 2National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (1998) Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report. Obes Res 6: 5–210.
- 3U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2001) The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity 2001 Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General Rockville MD.
- 4World Health Organization. (1998) Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic World Health Organization Geneva, Switzerland.
- 131992) A survey of the opinions of obesity experts on the causes and treatment of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 55: 151–154., , (
- 151999) Osteopathic family physicians’ attitudes, knowledge, and self-reported practices regarding obesity. J Am Osteopath Assoc 99: 557–558., , (
- 182000) SPSS 11.0 for Windows SPSS, Inc. Chicago.(
- 201991) Measurement and control of response bias. Robinson JP, Shaver P Wrightsman, LS eds. Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Attitudes 17–59. Academic Press San Diego, CA.(
- 212002) Obesity. New Engl J Med 372: 425–432., (
- 252003) Nutrition guidance by family doctors in a changing world: problems, opportunities, and future possibilities. Am J Clin Nutr 77: 1089–192s., , (
- 291998) Facilitating health and self-esteem among obese patients. Primary Psychiatry 5: 89–95., (
- 301992) Nurses’ attitudes toward obese persons and certain ethnic groups. Percept Mot Skills 2: 387–391., (
- 352001) The genetic contribution to human obesity: the dissection of a complex phenotype. Johnston, FE Foster, GD eds. Obesity, Growth and Development 21–36. Smith-Gordon and Company Ltd London, United Kingdom.(
- 401993) Talking with patients. Stunkard, AJ Wadden, TA eds. Obesity: Theory and Therapy 355–363. Raven Press New York, NY.(