The costs of publication of this article were defrayed, in part, by the payment of page charges. This article must, therefore, be hereby marked “advertisement” in accordance with 18 U.S.C. Section 1734 solely to indicate this fact.
Disability, Arthritis, and Body Weight among Adults 45 Years and Older
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2004 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 854–861, May 2004
How to Cite
Okoro, C. A., Hootman, J. M., Strine, T. W., Balluz, L. S. and Mokdad, A. H. (2004), Disability, Arthritis, and Body Weight among Adults 45 Years and Older. Obesity Research, 12: 854–861. doi: 10.1038/oby.2004.103
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received for review November 10, 2003; Accepted in final form March 16, 2004
- 1Americans with Disabilities: 1997 http:www.census.govprod2001pubsp70-73.pdf (Accessed July 16, 2003).
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2001) Prevalence of disabilities and associated health conditions among adults: United States, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 50: 120–125.
- 3Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2002) Prevalence of self-reported arthritis or chronic joint symptoms among adults: United States, 2001. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 51: 948–950.
- 41995) Medical Expenditures for People with Disabilities in the United States, 1987 U.S. Department of Education, National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research Washington, DC., , (
- 20Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003) Public health surveillance for behavioral risk factors in a changing environment: recommendations from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Team. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 52: 1–12.
- 21National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (1998) Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Rockville, MD.
- 23Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2003) Increasing physical activity: A report on recommendations of the Task Force on Community Preventive Services. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 50: 1–16.
- 24Research Triangle Institute (2001) SUDAAN User's Manual: Release 8.0 Research Triangle Institute Research Triangle Park, NC.
- 25World Health Organization (1999) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic: Report of a WHO consultation World Health Organization Geneva, Switzerland.
- 31Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2002) State-specific prevalence of obesity among adults with disabilities: eight states and the District of Columbia, 1998-1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 51: 805–808.
- 341992) Morbidity of severely obese subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 55: 508–515S.(
- 381989) Designing and Conducting Health Surveys: A Comprehensive Guide Jossey-Bass Publishers San Francisco, CA.(
- 46Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease and Health Promotion Arthritis http:www.cdc.govnccdphparthritis (Accessed June 17, 2003).