The costs of publication of this article were defrayed, in part, by the payment of page charges. This article must, therefore, be hereby marked “advertisement” in accordance with 18 U.S.C. Section 1734 solely to indicate this fact.
Low Recognition of Childhood Overweight and Disease Risk among Native-American Caregivers**
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
2005 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 146–152, January 2005
How to Cite
Adams, A. K., Quinn, R. A. and Prince, R. J. (2005), Low Recognition of Childhood Overweight and Disease Risk among Native-American Caregivers. Obesity Research, 13: 146–152. doi: 10.1038/oby.2005.19
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
- Submitted for publication May 03, 2004; Accepted for publication in final form November 24, 2004
- 2002) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2000. JAMA. 288: 1723–1727. , , , (
- 2002) Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999–2000. JAMA. 288: 1728–1732. , , , (
- 2000) Type 2 diabetes among North American children and adolescents: an epidemiologic review and a public health perspective. Pediatrics. 136: 664–672. , , , et al. (
- 1997) Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med. 337: 869–873. , , , , (
- 1993) Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature. Prev Med. 22: 167–177. , , , , , (
- 1994) The predictive value of childhood body mass index values for overweight at age 35 y. Am J Clin Nutr. 59: 810–819. , , , , (
- 2001) Preventing obesity in children and adolescents. Annu Rev Public Health. 22: 337–353. , (
- 1998) Parents as the exclusive agents of change in the treatment of childhood obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 67: 1130–1135. , , , (
- 1996) Current views on obesity. Am J Med. 100: 230–236. (
- 1996) Recent trends in acute coronary heart disease; mortality, morbidity, medical care, and risk factors. N Engl J Med. 33: 884–890. , , , et al. (
- 2003) Childhood obesity: do parents recognize this health risk? Obes Res. 11: 1362–1368. , , , (
- 2000) Maternal perceptions of overweight preschool children. Pediatrics. 106: 1380–1386. , , , , (
- 2003) Maternal perceptions of weight status of children. Pediatrics. 111: 1226–1231. , , , (
- 2000) Accuracy of teen and parental reports of obesity and body mass index. Pediatrics. 106: 52–58. , , (
- 2000) Care giver perception of children's obesity-related health risk: a study of African American families. Obes Res. 8: 241–248. , , , (
- 1999) The epidemic of obesity in American Indian communities and the need for childhood obesity-prevention programs. Am J Clin Nutr. 69(suppl): 747S–754S. , , , , , (
- 1991) Prevalence of obesity in American Indian and Alaska Natives. Am J Clin Nutr. 53: 1535S–1542S. , , , (
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1999) Regional Differences in Indian Health 2000–2001. Indian Health Service, Office of Public Health, Division of Community and Environmental Health, Program Statistics Team: Rockville, MD.
- 2000) CDC Growth Charts: Advance Data from Vital and Health. Health Statistics: Hyattsville, MD. , , , et al. (
- 1982) The reliability and validity of self-reported weight and height. J Chronic Dis. 35: 295–309. (
- 1981) The accuracy of self-reported weights. Am J Clin Nutr. 34: 1593–1599. , (
- 1989) Reporting bias in height and weight data. Stat Bull. 70: 2–11. (
- 1990) Self-reported weight and height. Am J Clin Nutr. 52: 1125–1133. (
- National Center for Disease Control (Accessed April 27, 2004) Nutrition and Physical Activity. What is BMI?. http:www.cdc.govnccdphpdnpabmibmi-adult.htm.
- SPSS. (2002) SPSS for Windows, rel. 11.5.0. SPSS: Chicago, IL.
- 2001) Why don't low-income mothers worry about their preschoolers being overweight? Pediatrics. 107: 1138–1146. , , , , , (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Inter-Tribal Heart Project. (1996) Results from the Cardiovascular Health Survey. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Atlanta, GA.
- 1999) Participatory research maximizes community and lay involvement. BMJ. 319: 774–778. , , , et al. (