The costs of publication of this article were defrayed, in part, by the payment of page charges. This article must, therefore, be hereby marked “advertisement” in accordance with 18 U.S.C. Section 1734 solely to indicate this fact.
Forecasting the Obesity Epidemic in the Aging U.S. Population
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2007 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 15, Issue 11, pages 2855–2865, November 2007
How to Cite
Wang, Y. C., Colditz, G. A. and Kuntz, K. M. (2007), Forecasting the Obesity Epidemic in the Aging U.S. Population. Obesity, 15: 2855–2865. doi: 10.1038/oby.2007.339
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received for review November 20, 2006, Accepted in final from March 10, 2007
- 4U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2000) Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health 2nd ed. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Washington, DC.
- 82004) The impact of obesity on rising medical spending. Health Aff (Millwood) Suppl 480–486. Web Exclusives:W4., , , (
- 241982) A statistical methodology for analyzing data from a complex survey: the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Vital Health Stat. 92: 1–52., , , (
- 26National Center for Health Statistics (1994) Plan and operation of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Vital Health Stat. 32.
- 281974) Inference from complex samples. J R Statist Soc. 36: 1–37., (
- 311992) Is It You or Your Model Talking? A Framework for Model Validation RAND Corporation Santa Monica, CA. [Report No.: R-4114-AF/A/OSD]., (
- 342000) Methodology and Assumptions for the Population Projections of the United States [Population division working paper No. 38] Population Projections Branch, Population Division, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce Washington, DC., , (
- 38National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Obesity Education Initiative (1998) Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Bethesda, MD. [NIH Publication No. 98-4083].
- 39American Academy of Family Physicians Periodic Health Examinations Recommend: General Population, Revision 5.4. http:www.aafp.orgPreBuiltPHErev54.pdf; 2003 (Accessed November 15, 2006).
- 42National Cancer Policy Board (2003) Fulfilling the Potential of Cancer Prevention and Early Detection National Cancer Policy Board, Institute of Medicine and National Research Council Washington, DC.
- 43National Academies Press (2003) Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care, Board on Health Sciences Policy, Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press Washington, DC.