Obesity as a Disease: A White Paper on Evidence and Arguments Commissioned by the Council of The Obesity Society
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2008 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 1161–1177, June 2008
How to Cite
TOS Obesity as a Disease Writing Group, Allison, D. B., Downey, M., Atkinson, R. L., Billington, C. J., Bray, G. A., Eckel, R. H., Finkelstein, E. A., Jensen, M. D. and Tremblay, A. (2008), Obesity as a Disease: A White Paper on Evidence and Arguments Commissioned by the Council of The Obesity Society. Obesity, 16: 1161–1177. doi: 10.1038/oby.2008.231
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- 5National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. The Evidence Report. NIH publication no. 98-4083 < http:www.nhlbi.nih.govguidelinesobesityob_gdlns.pdf> (September 1998).
- 6Harris Interactive for National Consumers League. New Obesity Survey: Many Americans Think They're “Lighter” than They Are, Most NOT Being Told by a Doctor They Need to Lose Weight. Press release < http:www.nclnet.orgnews2007obesity_survey_06192007.htm> (19 June 2007).
- 7Principia Ethica (1903). Transcription <http:fair-use.orgg-e-mooreprincipia-ethica>..
- 8Does ethics have an empirical basis? Stud Hastings Cent 1973; 1: 50–65..
- 9The legal aspects—is obesity a disability under the ADA? ACSM's Health Fitness J 2005; 9: 29–31., .
- 10The epidemic of obesity—when a disease is not a disability. Tenn Med 2003; 96: 564–565., , .
- 11Is obesity a disease? The Washington Post 10 November 2003 < http:www.washingtonpost.comac2wp-dynA20220-2003Nov9 >..
- 15Alternative causes of obesity.] Ugeskr Laeger 2006; 168: 135–137. Article in Danish, abstract in English., , . [
- 16AHA Scientific Statement. Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss. An update of the 1997 American Heart Association scientific statement on obesity and heart disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism. Circulation 2006; 113: 898–918., , et al.
- 24Obesity: socio-cultural perspectives. In: Alexander LA, Lumsden DB (eds). Understanding Eating Disorders. Taylor &Francis: Washington, DC, 1994, pp. 243–270., .
- 32A Discourse on the Nature, Causes, and Cure of Corpulency: Illustrated by a Remarkable Case Read before the Royal Society, London, November 1757. L. Davis and C. Reymers: London, 1760..
- 33Practice of Physic. Bell & Bradfute: Edinburgh, Scotland, 1808..
- 34Cursory Remarks on Corpulence: By a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons. London: J. Callow, 1810..
- 35The Science of Self Defence. A Treatise on Sparring and Wrestling. New York: Dick &Fitsgerald: New York, 1867 <http:www.geocities.comcinaetprice.html >..
- 36Origin of fat in animals. Science 1886; 7: 444–446.
- 43Aetna Life Insurance Company v. Sanders. No. 47557. Court of Appeals of Georgia, 127 Ga. App. 352; 193 S.E.2d 173; 1972 Ga. App. LEXIS 884; 61 A.L.R.3d 816.
- 44American Medical Association. Is Obesity a Disease? Video presentation < http:www.bigshouldersdubs.comclientsamaobesity02.htm > (2007).
- 45US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Quality Tools: Is Obesity a Disease? < http:www.qualitytools.ahrq.govsummarysummary.aspxview_id1&doc_id10118&nbr101605> (17 May 2007).
- 48Surgical removal of visceral fat improves metabolic profile and prolongs life in a manner similar to caloric restriction [abstr]. Obesity 2006; 14: A28., , et al.
- 53Obesity and physical health: looking for shades of gray. Weight Control Digest 1997; 6: 345–352., .
- 54Obesity: a disease or a physiologic adaptation for survival. In: Eckel RH (ed). Obesity: Mechanisms and Clinical Management. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins: Philadelphia, 2003, pp. 3–30..
- 57Contextualist morals and science. In: Kincaid H, Dupre J, Wylie A (eds). Value-free Science? Ideals and Illusions. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2007, pp 218–238..
- 58Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. Public Law 103-417. 103rd Congress < http:www.fda.govopacomlawsdshea.html >.
- 59Food and Drug Administration. Transcript of Public Meeting on Regulations on Supplements Made for Dietary Supplements: Concerning the Effect of the Product on the Structure or Function of the Body < http:www.fda.govohrmsdocketsdockets98n0044tr00001.doc > (4 August 1999).
- 60Food and Drug Administration. Guide to Nutrition Labeling and Education Act (NLEA) Requirements < http:www.fda.govorainspect_refigsnleatxt.html> (February 1995 revision).
- 61Food and Drug Administration. Regulations on Statements Made for Dietary Supplements Concerning the Effect of the Product on the Structure or Function of the Body; Final Rule. 21CFR101. Fed Regist 2000; 65: 999–1050 < http:www.cfsan.fda.govlrdfr000106.html (6 January 2000)>.
- 63National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. What I Need to Know About Irritable Bowel Syndrome <http:digestive.niddk.nih.govddiseasespubsibs_ez>. Accessed 28 October 2007.
- 67Food and Drug Administration. Health Claims: General Requirements. 21CFR114. Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 vol 2, pp. 62–65 < http:www.cfsan.fda.govlrdfr000929.html> (29 September 2000).
- 68Canadian Transportation Agency. Decision No. 646-AT-A-2001. 2001 < http:www.cta-otc.gc.carulings-decisionsdecisions2001AAT646-AT-A-2001_e.html> (12 December 2001).
- 69Behavioral Approaches to Treating Obesity < http:store.diabetes.orgmediaPDFsBehavioralApproaches_91df.pdf > (2006)., .
- 70National Cancer Institute. Dictionary of Cancer Terms < http:www.cancer.govTemplatesdb_alpha.aspxCdrID45873 >. Accessed 28 October 2007.
- 75Association of American Medical Colleges. Contemporary Issues in Medicine: The Prevention and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity Medical School Objectives Project <https:services.aamc.orgPublicationsshowfile.cfmfileversion98.pdf&prd_id205&prv_id246&pdf_id98> (August 2007).
- 77Representations of fatness and personhood: pro-fat advocacy and the limits and uses of law. Representations 2003; 82: 24–51..
- 81Committee to Develop Criteria for Evaluating the Outcomes of Approaches to Prevent and Treat Obesity, Institute of Medicine. Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight-Management Programs. National Academies Press: Washington, DC, 1995.(In:
- 82Centers for Medicare &Medicaid Services. NCA Tracking Sheet for Obesity as an Illness (CAG-00108N) < http:www.cms.hhs.govmcdviewtrackingsheet.aspid57 >. Accessed 6 November 2007.
- 83NIH Consensus Development Program. Health Implications of Obesity <http:consensus.nih.gov19851985Obesity049html.htm> (11–13 February 1985).
- 84World Health Organization. Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 1998.
- 85AOA Provides Evidence to the IRS to Make Obesity Treatment a Medical Deduction <http:obesity1.tempdomainname.comsubstaxirs97.shtml> (17 March 2000)..
- 86Partnership for Healthy Weight Management. Voluntary Guidelines for Providers of Weight Loss Products or Services < http:www.ftc.govbcpconlinepubsbuspubswgtguide.pdf > (February 1999).
- 89National Center for Health Statistics. The International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9-CM) < http:www.cdc.govnchsaboutotheracticd9abticd9.htm >. Accessed 28 October 2007.
- 90World Health Organization. ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 1992.
- 91American Association of Clinical Endocrinology, American College of Endocrinology Position statement on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of obesity. Endocr Pract 1998; 4: 297–350.
- 93Professional Guide to Diseases, 6th edn. Springhouse: Springhouse, PA, 1998.
- 94Veterans' Administration. Office of Research and Development Information Letter < http:www1.va.govvhapublicationsViewPublication.asppub_ID1337 > (25 October 2005).
- 95FDA/NIH Joint Symposium on Diabetes. Targeting Safe and Effective Prevention and Treatment < http:www3.niddk.nih.govfundotherFDA-NIHfinal.pdf > (1314 May 2004).
- 96American Academy of Family Physicians. Obesity. FP Report (Assembly Edition), 18 September 1998.
- 97American Society of Bariatric Physicians. Frequently Asked Questions < http:www.asbp.orgsiterun_datafaqnews.phpq5405d8a903c83e89cb649f1b518ef1be >. Accessed 9 November 2007.
- 98American Obesity Association. Guidance for the treatment of adult obesity. Available at: http:obesity1.tempdomainname.comtreatmentguide97.pdf (accessed 30 October 2007).
- 99American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ASHP therapeutic position statement on the safe use of pharmacotherapy for obesity management in adults: developed by the ASHP Commission on Therapeutics and approved by the ASHP Board of Directors on April 23, 2001. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2001; 58: 1645–1655.
- 100International Size Acceptance Association. ISAA Declares “Obesity Is NOT a Disease” Despite US Government Statement < http:www.size-acceptance.orgnot_a_disease.html > (2003). Accessed 4 September 2007.
- 101Obesity is NOT a disease. DOC News 2004; 1: 10..
- 102National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. NAAFA Policy: Obesity Research < http:www.naafa.orgdocumentspoliciesobesity_research.html >. Accessed 4 September 2007.
- 103The great diet deception. USA Today January 1995 < http:www.naafa.orgpress_roomdiet_deception.html >..
- 104American Medical Association. House of Delegates Resolution 405: Recognizing and Taking Action in Response to the Obesity Crisis. Annual Meeting 2003, re-affirmed Annual Meeting 2004 < http:www.ama-assn.orgama1uploadmmannual03d405a03.rtf> (9 April 2003).
- 105Pharmacological and Surgical Treatment of Obesity: Residential Care for Severely Obese Children in Belgium. Health Technology Assessment. KCE reports 36C (D/2006/10.273/30). Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre: Brussels, Belgium, 2006., , et al.