Parental Perceptions of Overweight Counseling in Primary Care: The Roles of Race/ethnicity and Parent Overweight
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2008 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 16, Issue 8, pages 1794–1801, August 2008
How to Cite
Taveras, E. M., Gortmaker, S. L., Mitchell, K. F. and Gillman, M. W. (2008), Parental Perceptions of Overweight Counseling in Primary Care: The Roles of Race/ethnicity and Parent Overweight. Obesity, 16: 1794–1801. doi: 10.1038/oby.2008.264
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received June 29, 2007; Accepted October 30, 2007
- 5United States. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General; 2001.
- 9Risks and consequences of childhood and adolescent obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1999; 23 (Suppl 2):S2–S11., .
- 17Koplan JP, Liverman CT, Kraak VI (eds). Executive summary. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. The National Academy Press: Washington, DC, 2004, pp 1–20.
- 18The American Association for Public Opinion Research. Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys. AAPOR: Ann Arbor, MI, 2000.
- 19GHAA's Consumer Satisfaction Survey and User's Manual, 2nd edn. Group Health Association of America: Washington, DC 1991., .
- 20Centers for, Disease Control, and Prevention CDC Growth Charts: United States. <cdc.govnchsaboutmajornhanesgrowthchartsdatafiles.htm> 2000.
- 21NLYS Child Handbook, Revised Edition: A Guide to the 1986–90 National Longitudinal Survey of Youth Child Data. Center for Human Resource Research, Ohio State University Press: Columbus, OH, 1993., , , .
- 35Patient-provider communication: the effects of race and ethnicity on process and outcomes of healthcare. In: Smedley BD, Nelson AR (eds). Unequal Treatment Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. National Academy Press: Washington, DC, 2002, pp 330–354., .
- 36The culture of medicine and racial, ethnic and class disparities in health care. In: Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR (eds). Unequal Treatment Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. National Academy Press: Washington, DC, 2002, pp 355–385., , , .
- 37Research on the provider contribution to race/ethnicity disparities in medical care. Med Care 2002; 40 (Suppl 1):I140–I151..
- 38Parent perspectives on messages to be delivered after nutritional assessment in pediatric primary care practice. Ann Fam Med 2005; 3 (Suppl 2):S37–S39., , , .