Will All Americans Become Overweight or Obese? Estimating the Progression and Cost of the US Obesity Epidemic
Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2012
2008 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 16, Issue 10, pages 2323–2330, October 2008
How to Cite
Wang, Y., Beydoun, M. A., Liang, L., Caballero, B. and Kumanyika, S. K. (2008), Will All Americans Become Overweight or Obese? Estimating the Progression and Cost of the US Obesity Epidemic. Obesity, 16: 2323–2330. doi: 10.1038/oby.2008.351
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received January 08, 2008; Accepted March 15, 2008
- 6US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS). Healthy People 2010 <http:www.healthypeople.gov> (2006).
- 7Handbook of Obesity: Clinical Applications, 2nd edn. Marcel Dekker: New York, 1998., , .
- 10National medical expenditures attributable to overweight and obesity: how much and who's paying? Health Aff 2003; Suppl Web Exclusives: W3-219-26., , .
- 11The impact of obesity on rising medical spending. Health Aff (Millwood) 2004; Suppl Web Exclusives: W4-480-6., , , .
- 14Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey <http:www.cdc.govnchsnhanes.htm> (2006).
- 16CDC growth charts: United States. Adv Data 2000; 314: 1–27., , et al.
- 17World Health Organization (WHO). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation. Technical report series 894. WHO: Geneva, 2000.
- 19WHO Expert Committee. Physical status, the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Technical Report Series 54. WHO: Geneva, 1995.
- 23Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Tables 70 and 71. CDC: Atlanta, GA, 2002.
- 24Design and methods of the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey household component. AHCPR: Rockville, MD, 1997..
- 25US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS). Medical Expenditure Panel Survey <http:www.meps.ahrq.govmepswebabout_mepssurvey_back.jsp> (2007). Accessed 18 July 2007.
- 26Office of the Actuary (OA). Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. National Health Expenditure Accounts <http:www.cms.hhs.govNationalHealthExpendData> (2007).
- 27Neter J, Kutner MH, Wasserman W, Nachtsheim CJ (eds). Applied Linear Statistical Models, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill/Irwin: Chicago, IL, 1996.
- 34US Department of Health and Human Services PHS. The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. Office of the Surgeon General: Rockville, MD, 2001.
- 35World Health Organization (WHO). Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation Geneva. WHO: Geneva, 2004.
- 36Institute of Medicine. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. National Academies Press: Washington, DC, 2005.