Associations Between Perceived Weight Discrimination and the Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in the General Population
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2012
2009 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 17, Issue 11, pages 2033–2039, November 2009
How to Cite
Hatzenbuehler, M. L., Keyes, K. M. and Hasin, D. S. (2009), Associations Between Perceived Weight Discrimination and the Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders in the General Population. Obesity, 17: 2033–2039. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.131
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2012
- Received 24 November, 2008; accepted 02 April, 2009
- 4Brownell KD, Puhl R., Schwartz MB, Rudd R. (eds). Weight Bias: Nature, Consequences, and Remedies. Guilford Publications: New York, 2005.
- 5The Nature of Prejudice. Addison-Wesley: Cambridge, MA, 1954.
- 17Sociodemographic and psychopathologic predictors of first incidence of DSM-IV substance use, mood and anxiety disorders: results from the Wave 2 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Mol Psychiatry 2008., , et al.
- 18WHO Consultation on Obesity. Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 2000. WHO Technical Report Series 894.
- 21American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. American Psychiatric Association: Washington, DC, 1994.
- 22The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview Schedule-DSM-IV Version. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: Bethesda, MD, 2001., ,
- 23The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview Schedule-IV (AUDADIS-IV): reliability of alcohol consumption, tobacco use, family history of depression and psychiatric diagnostic modules in a general population sample. Drug Alcohol Depend 2003; 71: 7–16., , et al.
- 26Substance use disorders: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV) and International Classification of Diseases, tenth edition (ICD-10). Addiction 2006; 101 (Suppl 1): 59–75., , , .
- 27Perceived stress in a probability sample of the United States. In: Spaceapam S., Oskamp S. (eds). The Social Psychology of Health: Claremont Symposium on Applied Social Psychology. Sage: Newbury Park, NJ, 1988, pp 31–67.,
- 28Measuring the functional components of social support. In: Sarason IG, Sarason BR (eds). Social Support: Theory, Research and Practice. Sage: Newbury Park, NJ, 1985, pp 73–94., , ,