Obesity and Injury-Related Absenteeism in a Population-Based Firefighter Cohort
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
2011 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 19, Issue 10, pages 2076–2081, October 2011
How to Cite
Poston, W. S.C., Jitnarin, N., Haddock, C. K., Jahnke, S. A. and Tuley, B. C. (2011), Obesity and Injury-Related Absenteeism in a Population-Based Firefighter Cohort. Obesity, 19: 2076–2081. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.147
- Issue published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2012
- Received 21 December 2010; accepted 16 April 2011
- 1U.S. Firefigher Injuries — 2009. NFPA No. FF109. National Fire Protection Association: Quincy, MA, 2010., .
- 3National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST). The Economic Consequences of Firefighter Injuries and Their Prevention. Final report (NIST GCR 05–874). US Department of Commerce and National Institute of Standards and Technology: Gaithersberg, MD, 2005.
- 7Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Obesity and workplace absenteeism among older Australians. Bulletin No. 31. AIHW Cat. No. AUS 67. AIHW: Canberra, 2005.
- 15A heavy burden: The individual costs of being overweight an obese in the United States (Research Report). The George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services: Washington, DC, 2010., , , .
- 28U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General: Rockville, MD, 2001.
- 29National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity: The evidence report. US Government Press: Washington, DC, 1998.
- 31National Center for Health Statistics. National Health Interview Survey: 2007 <http:www.cdc.govnchsnhisquest_data_related_1997_forward.htm>. Accessed 10 September 2010.
- 33The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas 1977;1:385–401..
- 35Cohen S, Williamson G. Perceived stress in a probability sample of the United States. In: Spacapan S, Oskamp S (eds). The Social Psychology of Health. Sage: Newbury Park, CA, 1988; pp 31–65.
- 37Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 2010 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Questionnaire <http:www.cdc.govbrfssquestionnairespdf-ques2010brfss.pdf>. Accessed 23 November 2010.
- 38Regression Analysis of Count Outcomes. Cambridge University Press: New York, 1998., .
- 40Medical and Work Loss Costs Estimation Methods for the WISQARS Cost of Injury Module. Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation (PIRE): Calverton, MD, 2009., , et al.
- 46International Association of Fire Fighters Diversity Initiative. Achieving and Retaining a Diverse Fire Service Workforce. International Association of Fire Fighters and CWH Research, Inc.: Washington, DC, 2006., , .