BMI, Waist Circumference, and Selected Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Among Preschool-Age Children
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
2012 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 20, Issue 9, pages 1942–1949, September 2012
How to Cite
Messiah, S. E., Arheart, K. L., Natale, R. A., Hlaing, W. M., Lipshultz, S. E. and Miller, T. L. (2012), BMI, Waist Circumference, and Selected Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Among Preschool-Age Children. Obesity, 20: 1942–1949. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.353
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Received 28 March 2011; accepted 10 October 2011
- 1U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health, 2nd edn. U.S. Government Printing Office: Washington, DC, 2000. <http:www.healthypeople.gov>. Accessed 15 July 2010.
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2007. Obesity among adults in the United States—no statistically significant change since 2003–2004. <http:www.cdc.govnchspressroom07newsreleasesobesity.htm>. Accessed 6 April 2010.
- 5The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity. Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General: Rockville, MD, 2001.
- 6Obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in children: an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee (Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young) and the Diabetes Committee (Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism). Circulation 2003;107: 1448–1453., .
- 12Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Hyattsville, MD, 2009. (<http:www.cdc.govnchsaboutmajornhanesnhanes2003-2004questexam03_04.htm>).
- 13The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Laboratory Procedures Manual; 2004. <http:www.cdc.govnchsdatanhaneslab1-6.pdf>. Accessed 11 January 2011.
- 16The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHANES 1999–2000 Public Release Dataset—September 2003: Laboratory 10AM—Glucose, Insulin, and C-peptide; 2004. <http:www.cdc.govnchsdatanhanesfrequencyl10amdoc.pdf>. Accessed 11 January 2011.
- 25Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; American Heart Association. Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association. Circulation 2003;107: 499–511., , et al.;