Escalating Coverage of Obesity in UK Newspapers: The Evolution and Framing of the “Obesity Epidemic” From 1996 to 2010
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
2012 North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO)
Volume 20, Issue 8, pages 1688–1695, August 2012
How to Cite
Hilton, S., Patterson, C. and Teyhan, A. (2012), Escalating Coverage of Obesity in UK Newspapers: The Evolution and Framing of the “Obesity Epidemic” From 1996 to 2010. Obesity, 20: 1688–1695. doi: 10.1038/oby.2012.27
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Received 20 October 2011; accepted 26 January 2012
- 1The Obesity Epidemic: Science, Morality and Ideology. Routledge: Abingdon, 2005., .
- 2Media coverage of Canada's obesity epidemic: illustrating the subtleties of surveillance medicine. Crit Pub Health 2009;19: 223–233..
- 3The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession With Weight is Hadardous to Your Health. Penguin: New York, 2004..
- 4World Health Organisation. Obesity epidemic puts millions at risk from related diseases (press release WHO/46,12 June 1997) available at: <http:www.who.intarchivesinf-pr-1997enpr97-46.htm>.
- 5World Health Organisation. Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. WHO: Geneva, 2000.
- 6Obesity: causes and consequences. Women's Health Medicine 2004;1: 38–41..
- 7UK Government's Foresight Programme Government Office for Science. Foresight Tackling Obesities: Future Choices Project report. London.
- 8The NHS Information Centre. In: Craig RH (ed). Health Survey for England 2009: Health and Lifestyles (summary of key findings). The NHS Information Centre: Leeds, 2010.
- 10Communicating Health and Illness. Sage Publications: London, 2002..
- 11All the news that's Fat to Print: The Amercian “Obesity Epidemic” and the media. Qual Sociol 2007;30: 41–60..
- 12Between provisioning and consuming?: Children, mothers and 'childhood obesity'. Health Sociol Rev 2010;19: 3726., , .
- 13Framing obesity: the evolution of news discourse on a public health issue. Press/Politics 2004;9: 56–75..
- 18Framing Abuse: Media Influence and Public Understandings of Sexual Violence Against Children. Pluto: London, 2004..
- 22The Discovery of Grounded Theory. Aldine: Chicago, IL, 1967., .
- 23Creating Fear: News and the Construction of Crisis. Aldine de Guyter: Hawthorne, New York, 2002..
- 25World Health Organization FAO Report. Expert Consultation on diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. WHO: Geneva, 2002.
- 26British men among the fattest in Europe. The Telegraph. 28 April 2011., .
- 29Ofcom. Childhood obesity: Food advertsing in context. URL <http:stakeholders.ofcom.org.ukbinariesresearchtv-researchreport2.pdf>. Accessed March 2011.
- 31Towards a Better Map: Science, the Public and the Media. Cardiff University: Cardiff, 2003., , .