Gene C. Lai is SAFECO Distinguished Professor of Insurance in Department of Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate, Washington State University. Piman Limpaphayom is at Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration, Chulalongkorn University. The authors thank two anonymous referees for their valuable comments. The authors are indebted to Yoshiki Amamoto of the Marine and Fire Insurance Association of Japan, Inc., Masaki Shiroyama of the Nikko Research Center, Ltd., and Masahiro Yoshikawa of the Japan Securities Research Institute for the data and pertinent information. They are also grateful to Shaw K. Chen, Mark Flannery, Kenneth A. Kim, James Opaluch, Sirapat Polwitoon, S. Ghon Rhee, Timothy Tyrrell, and participants at the 1996 American Risk and Insurance Association Meeting, the 1997 FMA Doctoral Seminar and the 2001 Asia-Pacific Finance Association Meeting for comments and suggestions on earlier drafts of this article. Special thanks are due to Gloria Bourdeux-Bartels, Frank Budnick, and Manas-Pimpa-Julanita Limpaphayom for support during the early stage of the project and to William K. Yap for technical assistance. Vivian Jeng provided excellent research assistance. Support from the Sandra-Ann Morsilli Pacific-Basin Capital Market (PACAP) Research Center at the University of Rhode Island is gratefully acknowledged.
Organizational Structure and Performance: Evidence From the Nonlife Insurance Industry in Japan
Article first published online: 17 NOV 2003
Journal of Risk and Insurance
Volume 70, Issue 4, pages 735–757, December 2003
How to Cite
Lai, G. C. and Limpaphayom, P. (2003), Organizational Structure and Performance: Evidence From the Nonlife Insurance Industry in Japan. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 70: 735–757. doi: 10.1046/j.0022-4367.2003.00073.x
- Issue published online: 17 NOV 2003
- Article first published online: 17 NOV 2003
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!