Remobilized old-leaf nitrogen predominates for spring growth in two temperate grasses
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 152, Issue 2, pages 283–290, November 2001
How to Cite
Bausenwein, U., Millard, P. and Raven, J. A. (2001), Remobilized old-leaf nitrogen predominates for spring growth in two temperate grasses. New Phytologist, 152: 283–290. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646X.2001.00262.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 9 March 2001 Accepted: 17 July 2001
- 1996. Nutrient resorption from senescing leaves of perennials: are there general patterns? Journal of Ecology 84: 597–608.
- 1983. Root-tiller interrelationships in spring barley (Hordeum distichum (L.) Lam.). Annals of Botany 51: 47–58. ,
- 1998. Dynamics of nitrogen remobilization in defoliated Phleum pratense and Festuca pratensis under short and long photoperiods. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 426–436. , ,
- 2001. Seasonal nitrogen storage and remobilisation in the forb Rumex acetosa. Functional Ecology 15: 370–377. , , ,
- 1980. Seasonal movement of nutrients in plants of differing growth form in an Alaskan tundra ecosystem: implications for herbivory. Journal of Ecology 68: 189–209. , ,
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and systematics 21: 423–447. , ,
- 1990. Proteins in the roots of the perennial weeds chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) and dandelion (Taraxacum officinale Weber) are associated with overwintering. Planta 182: 370–374. ,
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 2–60. ,
- 1995. Organic nitrogen reserves and their mobilization during sprouting of purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus L.) tubers. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1803–1808. , ,
- 1970. Decomposition of organic materials from hill soils and pastures. III. The effect of temperature on mineralisation of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus from plant materials and sheep faeces. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 2: 187–196.
- 1967. Seasonal variation in appearance and growth of grass roots. Journal of the British Grassland Society 22: 121–206.
- 1968. Variation in yield, maturity, winter greenness and sensitivity to cutting of hill grass species. Journal of the British Grassland Society 23: 149–155. ,
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology. A functional approach to common British species. London, UK: Unwin Hyman Ltd. , ,
- 1997. Leaf senescence in a non-yellowing mutant of Festuca pratensis: implications of the stay-green mutation for photosynthesis, growth and nitrogen nutrition. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1007–1018. , , , ,
- 1992. Adaptive significance of nitrogen storage in Bistorta bistortoides, an alpine herb. Oecologia 92: 578–585. ,
- 1915. Ecology of the purple heath grass (Molinia caerulea). Journal of Ecology 3: 93–109.
- 1985. Significance of sequential leaf development for nutrient balance of the cotton sedge, Eriophorum vaginatum L. Oecologia 67: 511–518. , .
- 1992. Nitrogen budget and 15N translocation in a perennial wheatgrass. Functional Ecology 6: 221–225. , ,
- 1996. Effect of exogenous nitrogen (NO3)-N-15) on utilization of vegetative storage proteins (VSP) during regrowth in chicory (Cichorium intybus). Journal of Plant Physiology 149: 564–572. , , , , ,
- 1996. Ecophysiology of the internal cycling of nitrogen for tree growth. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenernährung und Bodenkunde 159: 1–10.
- 1989. The influence of nitrogen supply on the uptake and remobilization of stored N for the seasonal growth of apple trees. Annals of Botany 63: 301–309. ,
- 1993. Nitrogen uptake, partitioning and internal cycling in Picea sitchensis (Bog.) Carr. as influenced by nitrogen supply. New Phytologist 125: 113–119. ,
- 1991. Nutrient retranslocation in temperate conifers. Tree Physiology 9: 185–207. ,
- 1997. Nitrogen storage forms in nine boreal understorey plant species. Oecologia 110: 487–492. ,
- 1988. Nitrogen mobilization from stubble and roots during re-growth of defoliated perennial ryegrass. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 803–809. , ,
- 1986. Nitrogen cycling in seven cool-season perennial grass species. Agronomy Journal 78: 681–687.
- 1985. Seasonal dynamics of nitrogenous compounds in a nitrophilic weed. 2. The role of free amino acids and proteins as nitrogen store in Urtica dioica. Plant and Cell Physiology 26: 177–183.
- 1996. The importance of tissue density for growth and life span of leaves and roots: a comparison of five ecologically contrasting grasses. Functional Ecology 10: 717–723.
- 2000. Growth response of Lolium perenne L. and Festuca rubra L. seedlings to differing nitrogen nutrition. In: SoegaardK, OhlssonC, SehestedJ, HutchingsN, KristensenT, eds. Grassland farming balancing environmental and economic demands, vol. 5. Grassland Science in Europe. Denmark: Tjele, Danish Institute of Agricultural Science, 397–399. , ,
- 1941. The seasonal growth of grass roots. American Journal of Botany 28: 481–491.
- 2000. Seasonal protease activity in storage tissue of the deciduous grass Molinia caerulea. New Phytologist 146: 75–81. ,
- 1993. The effects of nitrogen supply and defoliation on the seasonal internal cycling of nitrogen in Molinia caerulea. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 531–536. ,
- 1999. Accumulation and remobilization of nitrogen in a vegetative winter wheat crop during or following nitrogen defieciency. Annals of Botany 83: 569–575. ,
- 2000. Environment-induced modifications to root longevity in Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens. Annals of Botany 85: 397–401. , , , , , , ,
- 1948. Underground development and reserves of grasses – a review. Journal of the British Grassland Society 3: 115–140.
- 1991. Intraclonal nitrogen allocation in the bunchgrass Schizachyrium scoparium Hubb. an assessment of the physiological individual. Functional Ecology 5: 433–440. , ,
- 1995. Role of nitrogen remobilization from old leaves for new leaf growth of Eucalyptus globulus seedlings. Tree Physiology 15: 679–683. , , ,
- 1955. Redistribution of mineral elements during development. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 6: 25–42.