Constraints to symbiotic germination of terrestrial orchid seed in a mediterranean bushland
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2002
Volume 152, Issue 3, pages 511–520, December 2001
How to Cite
Batty, A. L., Dixon, K. W., Brundrett, M. and Sivasithamparam, K. (2001), Constraints to symbiotic germination of terrestrial orchid seed in a mediterranean bushland. New Phytologist, 152: 511–520. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646X.2001.00277.x
- Issue online: 6 APR 2002
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2002
- Received: 8 June 2001 Accepted: 17 August 2001
- 1983. Variation in symbiotic activity of Rhizoctonia isolates from Goodyera repens mycorrhizas. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 152: 99–106. ,
- 1992. Fundamentals of Orchid Biology. New York, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
- 2000. Numerical and physical properties of orchid seeds and their biological implications. New Phytologist 145: 146–569. ,
- 1991. Influence of fungal propagules during the early stages of the time sequence of ectomycorrhizal colonization on Afzelia africana seedlings. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2442–2447. , ,
- 1998. Seeds ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. ,
- 2001. The role of symbiotic seed germination in the conservation of selected Western Australian terrestrial orchids. PhD thesis, University of Western Australia.
- 2000. Soil seed bank dynamics of terrestrial orchids. Lindleyana 15: 227–236. , ,
- 1995. Mycorrhizal fungus propagules in the jarrah forest. II. Spatial variability in inoculum levels. New Phytologist 131: 461–469. ,
- 1996. Working with Mycorrhizas in Forestry and Agriculture. Canberra, Australia: Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research. , , , ,
- 1985. The spatial analysis of soil-borne pathogens and root diseases. Annual Review of Phytopathology 23: 129–148. ,
- 1979. The symbiotic germination of Australian terrestrial orchids. American Orchid Society Bulletin 48: 810–816. ,
- 1986. A preliminary report on the symbiotic germination of European terrestrial orchids. Kew Bulletin 41: 437–445. , ,
- 1990. Population structure and dynamics in Suillus bovinus as indicated by spatial distribution of fungal clones. New Phytologist 115: 487–493. ,
- 1989. Seed Propagation of ground orchids. In: DixonKW, BuirchellBJ, CollinsMJ, eds. Orchids of Western Australia. Victoria Park, Western Australian, Australia: Native Orchid Study and Conservation Group Inc., 18–26.
- 1994. Involvement of the exodermal passage cells in mycorrhizal infection of some orchids. Mycological Research 98: 672–676. , ,
- 1991. The spatial dispersion of spores of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a sand dune: microscale patterns associated with the root architecture of American beachgrass. Mycological Research 95: 952–957. ,
- 1956. Biology of Root Infecting Fungi. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1989. Climate of the jarrah forest. In: DellB, HavelJJ, MalajczukN, eds. The Jarrah Forest. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 23–40.
- 1992. Mycorrhizal mat communities in forest soils. In: ReadDJ, LewisDH, FitterAH, AlexanderIJ, eds. Mycorrhizas in Ecosystems. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 98–105. ,
- 1983. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis. London, UK: Academic Press. ,
- 1992. Orchids of South-West Australia. Nedlands, Australia: University of Western Australia Press. ,
- IUCN/SSC Orchid Specialist Group. 1996. Orchids – Status Survey and Conservation Action Plan. Gland Switzerland and Cambridge UK: IUCN.
- 1991. The effect of soil disturbance on vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in soils from different vegetation types. New Phytologist 118: 471–476. , ,
- 1994. In situ and in vitro specificity between Rhizoctonia spp. & Spiranthes sinensis (Persoon.) Ames. var. amoena (M. Beiberstein) Hara (Orchidaceae). New Phytologist 127: 711–718. ,
- 2000. Symbiotic germination and development of myco-heterotrophic plants in nature: ontogeny of Corallorhiza trifida and characterisation of its mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 145: 523–537. , , ,
- 1989. The role of physiology ecology and management. In: PritchardHW, ed. Modern Methods in Orchid Conservation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 39–56.
- 1998. Effect of physical conditions on the spatial and temporal dynamics of the soil-borne fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solanii. New Phytologist 138: 629–637. ,
- 1982. Tuberous, Cormous and Bulbous Plants – Biology and Adaptive Strategy. Nedlands, Western Australia: University of Western Australia Press. ,
- 1995. Specificity of the associations between Microtis parviflora (Orchidaceae) and its mycorrhizal fungi. Australian Journal of Botany 43: 85–91. , ,
- 1995. Distribution of the orchid mycorrhizal fungus Rhizoctonia solani, in relation to it’s host, Pterostylis acuminata, in the field. Australian Journal of Botany 43: 565–575. ,
- 1970. Improved procedures for clearing roots and staining parasitic and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi for rapid assessment of infection. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 55: 158–160. ,
- 1986. Patterns of infection and endophytes associated with Western Australian orchids. Lindleyana 1: 203–214. , ,
- 1995. Terrestrial Orchids From Seed to Mycotrophic Plant. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1993. Seed ecology of dust seeds in situ: a new study technique and its application in terrestrial orchids. American Journal of Botany 80: 1374–1378. ,
- 1998a. Importance of woody debris in seed germination of Tipularia discolor (Orchidaceae). American Journal of Botany 85: 829–834. ,
- 1998b. The underground phase: a special challenge in studies of terrestrial orchid populations. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 126: 49–64. ,
- 1992. Australian Laboratory Handbook of Soil and Water Chemical Methods. Sydney, Australia: Inkata Press. ,
- 1998. For everything a season: Smoke- induced seed germination and seedling recruitment in a Western Australian Banksia woodland. Australian Journal of Ecology 23: 111–120. , ,
- 1999. Banksia Woodland Restoration. PhD thesis, University of Western Australia.
- 1974. The penetration of soil by mycelial strands of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 6: 57–61. ,
- 1995. Observations on in situ germination of Epipactis helleborine (L.) Crantz. Lindleyana 10: 223–231.
- 1971. Specificity of mycorrhizal associations in some Australian terrestrial orchids. New Phytologist 70: 41–46.
- 1973. Symbiotic germination of some Australian terrestrial orchids. New Phytologist 72: 387–392.
- 1981. The mycorrhizal relationships of Australian orchids. New Phytologist 87: 371–381.
- 1997. Symbiotic germination of Spiranthes lacera (Orchidaceae) with naturally occurring endophyte. Lindleyana 12: 142–148. ,
- 1996. Fungi associated with terrestrial orchid mycorrhizas, seeds and protocorms. Mycoscience 37: 439–448. , ,
- 1998. Propagation of the little club-spur orchid (Platanthera clavellata) by symbiotic seed germination and its ecological implications. Environmental and Experimental Botany 39: 189–195. ,