Authors contributed equally to this paper; order assigned alphabetically
Lack of evidence for programmed root senescence in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown at different levels of phosphorus supply
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2002
Volume 153, Issue 1, pages 63–71, January 2002
How to Cite
Fisher, M. C. T., Eissenstat, D. M. and Lynch, J. P. (2002), Lack of evidence for programmed root senescence in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown at different levels of phosphorus supply. New Phytologist, 153: 63–71. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646X.2001.00285.x
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2002
- Received: 16 March 2001 Accepted: 31 July 2001
- 1997. A geographical approach to identify phosphorus-efficient genotypes among landraces and wild ancestors of common bean. Euphytica 95: 325–336. , , , ,
- 1993. Minirhizotron wheat root data: comparisons to soil core data. Agronomy Journal 85: 1058–1060. ,
- 2000. Relationships between fine root dynamics and nitrogen availability in Michigan northern hardwood forests. Oecologia 125: 389–399. , ,
- 1990. Root dynamics, production and distribution in agroecosystems on the Georgia Piedmont using minirhizotrons. Journal of Applied Ecology 27: 592–604. , ,
- 1982. Stages of development of the common bean. Cali, Colombia: Centro Inernacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT).
- 2000. Assessing root death and root system dynamics in a study of grape canopy pruning. New Phytologist 147: 171–178. , ,
- 1987. Programmed cortical senescence: a basis for understanding root infection. In: PeggGF, AyresPG, eds. Fungal infection of plants. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 285–297.
- 1995. Reducing the cost of estimating root turnover with horizontally installed minirhizotrons. Agronomy Journal 87: 258–263. ,
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , ,
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–62. ,
- 1995. Root regeneration and tolerance of citrus rootstocks to root rot caused by Phytophthora nicotianae. Phytopathology 85: 111–117.
- 1992. The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. ,
- 2000. Effects of elevated CO2, N-fertilization, and season on survival of ponderosa pine fine roots. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 30: 220–228. , , ,
- 1994. Root turnover of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) in soil tubes. Plant Soil 166: 259–270. ,
- 1984. Common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). In: GoldsworthyPR, FisherNM, eds. The physiology of tropical field crops. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 305–351. , ,
- 1995. Comparison of early root cortical senescence between barley cultivars, Triticum species and other cereals. New Phytologist 130: 495–501.
- 1995. Adaptation of beans to low phosphorus availability. Hortscience 30: 1165–1171. , .
- 1990. An automated sand culture system suitable for studies of P nutrition. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 547–554. , , ,
- 1991. Vegetative growth of the common bean in response to phosphorus nutrition. Crop Science 31: 380–387. , ,
- 1992. Shoot nitrogen dynamics in tropical common bean. Crop Science 32: 392–397. ,
- 1997. Demography of fine roots in response to nutrient applications in a Norway spruce stand in southwestern Sweden. Ecoscience 4: 199–205. ,
- 1962. A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Analytica Chimica Acta 27: 31–36. ,
- 2000. The potential effects of nitrogen deposition on fine-root production in forest ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 131–139.
- 1998. Effects of phosphorus availability and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas on the carbon budget of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). New Phytologist 139: 647–656. , , ,
- 2001. The effect of P availability on the carbon economy of contrasting common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) genotypes. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 329–339. , ,
- 2001. Effects of nitrogen and phosphorus availability on fine-root dynamics in Hawaiian montane forests. Ecology 82: 485–499.
- 1999. Common bean. The nearly perfect food. In: CIAT in focus. May 1999. Cali, Colombia: Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical.
- 1996. Phosphorus distribution and remobilization in bean plants as influenced by phosphorus nutrition. Crop Science 36: 929–935. ,
- US Department of Agriculture 1999. Soil Taxonomy. Agriculture Handbook no. 436, 2nd edn. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.