Uptake and metabolism of glucose in the Nostoc–Gunnera symbiosis
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2002
Volume 153, Issue 2, pages 297–305, February 2002
How to Cite
Black, K. G., Parsons, R. and Osborne, B. A. (2002), Uptake and metabolism of glucose in the Nostoc–Gunnera symbiosis. New Phytologist, 153: 297–305. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646X.2001.00322.x
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2002
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2002
- Received: 17 July 2001 Accepted: 30 October 2001
- 2000. Heterocyst formation in cyanobacteria. Current Opinion in Microbiology 3: 618–624. .
- 1949. Copper enzymes isolated in chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidases in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–14. .
- 1992. The Nostoc–Gunnera symbiosis. New Phytologist 122: 379–400. , , .
- 1986. Nitrogenase in free-living and symbiotic cyanobacteria: immunoelectron microscopic localization. FEMS Microbial Letters 35: 75–78. , , .
- 1978. Transport of D-Glucose and 3-o-Methyl-d-glucose in the Cyanobacteria Aphanocapsa 6714 and Nostoc strain Mac. European Journal of Biochemisrty 82: 187–197. , .
- 2000. Effect of mycorrhizal-enhanced leaf phosphate status on carbon partitioning, translocation and photosynthesis in cucumber. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 797–809. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of nitrogen fixation in heterocyst-forming cyanobacteria. Trends in Plant Science 3: 346–351. .
- 1997. An investigation into the process of gland development in the Gunnera tinctoria-Nostoc punctiforme Symbiosis Using Light and Electron Microscopy. PhD thesis, University College Dublin, Ireland. .
- 1991. A ‘futile’ cycle of sucrose synthesis and degradation is involved in regulating partitioning between sucrose, starch and respiration in cotyledons of germinating Ricinus communis L. seedlings when phloem transport is inhibited. Planta 185: 81–90. , .
- 1989. Oxygen concentration, nitrogenase activity and heterocyst frequency in the leaf cavities of Azolla filicuoides Lam. FEMS Microbial Letters 59: 283–288. , , .
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plants Physiology and Molecular Biology 47: 509–540.
- 1986. Carbon nutrition and the regulation of uptake hydrogenase activity in free-living and symbiotic Anabaena cycadeae. New Phytologist 104: 115–120. , , .
- 1991. N2-fixation by freshly isolated Nostoc from coralloid roots of the Cycad Macrozamia riedlie (Fich. Ex Gaud.) Gargn. Plant Physiology 95: 753–759. , , .
- 2000. The GS-GOGAT pathway is not operative in the heterocysts. Cloning and expression of glsF gene from the cyanobacterium Anabaena PCC 7120. FEBS Letters 476: 282–286. , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen nutrition and the role of root-shoot nitrogen signalling particularly in symbiotic systems. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 435–443. , .
- 1978. Active transport of glucose and α-methylyglucoside in the cyanobacterium Plectonema boryanum. Journal of Biological Chemisrty 253: 3287–3291. , .
- 2000. Cyanobacterium-plant symbioses. New Phytologist 147: 499–481. , , .
- 1979. Generic assignments, strain histories and properties of pure cultures of cyanobacteria. Journal of General Microbiology 111: 1–61. , , , , .
- 1976. Endophytic adaptation in Gunnera–Nostoc symbiosis. In: , ed. Symbiotic nitrogen fixation in plants. International biological programme series no. 7. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 521–538. .
- 1976. The infection process and ultrastructure of the Gunnera–Nostoc symbiosis. New Phytologist 77: 135–141. , .
- 1996. Direct measurement of release and assimilation of ammonia in the Gunnera–Nostoc symbiosis. New Phytologist 132: 617–625. , , .
- 1992. Developmental patterns in the Nostoc–Gunnera. Symbiosis. PhD thesis, Stockholm University, Sweden. .
- 1993. The Gunnera–Nostoc symbiosis: carbon fixation and translocation. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 125–132. , .
- 1998. Multiple oligomeric forms of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in cyanobacteria and the role of Opc A in the assembly process. Microbiology 144: 1549–1556. , , , .
- 1977. Photosynthetic components and activities of nitrogen-fixing isolated heterocysts of Anabaena cylindrical. Proceedings of the Royal Society London 198: 61–86. , .
- 1997. Carbon partitioning during sucrose accumulation in sugarcane internodal tissue. Plant Physiology 115: 1651–1659. , .
- 1994. Heterocyst metabolism and development. In: BryantDA, ed. The molecular biology of cyanobacteria. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Publishers, 769–823. , , .
- 1998. Heterocyst pattern formation controlled by a diffusible peptide. Science 282: 935–938. , .
- 1999. Cellular and genetic responses of plants to sugar starvation. Plant Physiology 121: 687–693. .