Bacteria associated with Pinus sylvestris–Lactarius rufus ectomycorrhizas and their effects on mycorrhiza formation in vitro
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 151, Issue 3, pages 743–751, September 2001
How to Cite
Poole, E. J., Bending, G. D., Whipps, J. M. and Read, D. J. (2001), Bacteria associated with Pinus sylvestris–Lactarius rufus ectomycorrhizas and their effects on mycorrhiza formation in vitro. New Phytologist, 151: 743–751. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646x.2001.00219.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 22 January 2001 Accepted: 10 May 2001
- 198793. Colour atlas of ectomycorrhizae. Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany: Einhorn-Verlag. .
- 1989. Stimulation of germination of spores of some ectomycorrhizal fungi by other micro-organisms. Mycological Research 93: 182–186. & .
- 1997. Bacteria from rhizosphere and hyphosphere soils of different arbuscular-mycorrhizal fungi. Plant and Soil 192: 71–79. , , , .
- 2000. Detection and identification of bacterial endosymbionts in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi belonging to the family Gigasporaceae. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 4503–4509. , , , , , .
- 1979. Interactions between bacteria and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 11: 119–126. & .
- 1999. Isolation from the Sorghum bicolor mycorrhizosphere of a bacterium compatible with arbuscular mycorrhiza development and antagonistic towards soilborne fungal pathogens. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 5148–5150. , , , .
- 1993. Pseudomonas fluorescens in association with fruit bodies of the ectomycorrhizal mushroom Cantharellus cibarius. Mycological Research 97: 1148–1152. , , .
- 1986. The development and ultrastructure of ectomycorrhizas. III. Compatible and incompatible interactions between Suillus grevillei (Klotzsch) Sing. and 11 species of ectomycorrhizal hosts in vitro in the absence of exogenous carbohydrate. New Phytologist 103: 457–464. .
- 1998. Effects of bacteria on mycorrhizal development and growth of container grown Eucalyptus diversicolor F. Muell. seedlings. Plant and Soil 201: 241–249. , , .
- 1991. Effect of dual inoculation of Douglas fir with the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria laccata and mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHB) in two bare-root forest nurseries. Plant and Soil 138: 169–176. & .
- 1993. The fungus- specificity of mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHBs) used as an alternative to soil fumigation for ectomycorrhizal inoculation of bare-root Douglas-fir planting stocks with Laccaria laccata. Plant and Soil 157: 257–262. , , , .
- 1999. Dose effect in the dual inoculation of an ectomycorrhizal fungus and a mycorrhiza helper bacterium in two forest nurseries. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 31: 1555–1562. , , , .
- 1997. Location and survival of mycorrhiza helper Pseudomonas fluorescens during establishment of ectomycorrhizal symbiosis between Laccaria bicolor and Douglas fir. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 139–144. , , .
- 1994. Helper bacteria: a new dimension to the mycorrhizal symbiosis. New Phytologist 128: 197–210. .
- 1989. Stimulation of ectomycorrhizal infection of Pinus radiata by some microorganisms associated with the mantle of ectomycorrhizas. New Phytologist 112: 383–388. & .
- 1992. Specificity and function of mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHB) associated with the Pseudotsuga menziesii–Laccaria laccata symbiosis. Symbiosis 14: 335–344. & .
- 1978. Rapid method for distinction of Gram-negative from Gram-positive bacteria. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 5: 123–127. .
- 1991. Maintenance of ectomycorrhizal fungi. In: NorrisJR, ReadDJ, VarmaAK, eds. Techniques for mycorrhizal research. London, UK: Academic Press, 413–422. & .
- 1953. The taxonomic significance of fermentative versus oxidative metabolism of carbohydrates by various Gram-negative bacteria. Journal of Bacteriology 66: 24–26. & .
- 1954. Two simple media for the demonstration of pyocyanin and fluorescein. Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 44: 301–307. , , .
- 1956. Identification of Pseudomonas pyocyanea by the oxidase reaction. Nature 178: 703. .
- 1981. Solid culture. In: GerhardtP, MurrayRGE, CostilowRN, NesterEW, WoodWA, KriegNR, PhillipsGB, eds. Manual of methods for general bacteriology. Washington DC, USA: American Society for Microbiology, 143–150. & .
- 1987. Azospirillum isolated from within sporocarps of the mycorrhizal fungi Hebeloma crustuliniforme, Laccaria laccata and Rhizopogon vinicolor. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 88: 563–565. & .
- 1969. The influence of ectotrophic mycorrhizal fungi on the resistance of pine roots to pathogenic infections. I. Antagonism of mycorrhizal fungi to root pathogenic fungi and soil bacteria. Phytopathology 59: 153–163. .
- 2000. Bacterial community structure and colonization patterns of Fagus sylvatica L. ectomycorrhizospheres as determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization and confocal laser scanning microscopy. Mycorrhiza 9: 271–278. , , , , .
- 1997. Bacterial colonization patterns of intact Pinus sylvestris mycorrhizospheres in dry pine forest soil: an electron microscopy study. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 43: 1017–1035. , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation and localization of helper bacteria in ectomycorrhiza formation. PhD thesis, University of Sheffield, UK. .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Experientia 47: 376–391. .
- 1996. Suppression of common root pathogens by helper bacteria and ectomycorrhizal fungi in vitro. Mycorrhiza 6: 481–485. & .
- 1997. Emended description of Paenibacillus amylolyticus and description of Paenibacillus illinoisensis sp. nov. and Paenibacillus chibensis sp. nov. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology 47: 299–306. , , , , .
- 1983. A comparison of methods to surface sterilize wheat seeds. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 80: 374–376. & .
- 1998. Bacterial community structure at defined locations of Pinus sylvestris – Suillus bovinus and Pinus sylvestris – Paxillus involutus mycorrhizospheres in dry pine forest humus and nursery peat. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 44: 499–513. , , , .
- 1996. Bacteria associated with Suillus grevillei sporocarps and ectomycorrhizae and their effects on in vitro growth of the mycobiont. Symbiosis 21: 129–147. , , , , , .