Nitrogen-limited growth of lettuce is associated with lower stomatal conductance
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 152, Issue 1, pages 97–106, October 2001
How to Cite
Broadley, M. R., Escobar-Gutiérrez, A. J., Burns, A. and Burns, I. G. (2001), Nitrogen-limited growth of lettuce is associated with lower stomatal conductance. New Phytologist, 152: 97–106. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646x.2001.00240.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 9 April 2001Accepted: 26 June 2001
- 2000. Making a meal of it. New Scientist 165(2224): 48–49. .
- 1992. A new cultivation method for the production of vegetables with low content of nitrate. Scientia Horticulturae 49: 167–171. & .
- 2000. What are the effects of nitrogen deficiency on growth components of lettuce? New Phytologist 147: 519–526. , , , .
- 1997. How do nutrients drive growth? Plant and Soil 196: 321–325.DOI: 10.1023/A:1004240511210 , , .
- 1999. Nitrate accumulation in plants: a role for water. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 613–624.DOI: 10.1093/jexbot/50.334.613 , , .
- 1990. Effects of nutrient deficiency on plant growth: evidence for a centralized stress-response system. British Society for Plant Growth Regulation, Monograph 21: 135–148. .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1989. The allocation of protein nitrogen in the photosynthetic apparatus: costs, consequences, and control. In: BriggsWR, ed. Photosynthesis. New York, USA: Alan R Liss Inc, 183–205. & .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. & .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. & .
- Genstat 5 Committee. 1997. Genstat 5 Release 4.1 Reference Manual (Suppl.). Oxford, UK: Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd.
- 1996. Modelling and measurement of the effects of fertilizer-N and crop residue incorporation on N-dynamics in vegetable cropping. Soil Use and Management 12: 13–24. , , , , .
- 1995. A model of the acclimation of photsynthesis in the leaves of C3 plants to sun and shade with respect to nitrogen use. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 605–618. & .
- 1985. Method for measuring nitrate-nitrogen in vegetables using anion-exchange high-performance liquid chromatography. Analyst 110: 131–133. & .
- 1998. Stomatal control of photosynthesis and transpiration. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 387–398.DOI: 10.1093/jexbot/49.suppl_1.387 .
- 1972. Influence of mineral nutrients on photosynthesis of higher plants. Photosynthetica 6: 80–99. .
- 1997. Rapid and straightforward estimates of photosynthetic characteristics using a portable gas exchange system. Photosynthetica 34: 265–279.DOI: 10.1023/A:1006800909651 , , , .
- 1999. Effects of nitrogen deprivation on cell division and expansion in leaves of Ricinus communis L. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 81–89.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-3040.1999.00383.x , , , .
- 1927. On the causes and ecological significance of stomatal frequency, with special reference to the woodland flora. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Series B 216: 1–65. .
- 1982. Photosynthetic characteristics during ontogenesis of leaves 7. Stomata density and sizes. Photosynthetica 16: 375–471. .
- 1999. Effects of constant and variable nitrogen supply on sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) leaf cell number and size. Annals of Botany 84: 599–606.DOI: 10.1006/anbo.1999.0954 , , .
- 2000. Regulation of Arabidopsis root development by nitrate availability. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 51–59.DOI: 10.1093/jexbot/51.342.51 & .