Improved flower advertisement, pollinator rewards and seed yield by enhanced UV-B radiation in the Mediterranean annual Malcolmia maritima
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
Volume 152, Issue 1, pages 85–90, October 2001
How to Cite
Petropoulou, Y., Georgiou, O., Psaras, G. K. and Manetas, Y. (2001), Improved flower advertisement, pollinator rewards and seed yield by enhanced UV-B radiation in the Mediterranean annual Malcolmia maritima. New Phytologist, 152: 85–90. doi: 10.1046/j.0028-646x.2001.00241.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
- Received: 21 March 2001Accepted: 11 June 2001
- 1995. Inhibition of hypocotyl elongation by ultraviolet-B radiation in de-etiolating tomato seedlings. The photoreceptor. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 652–658. , , .
- 1990. Morphological responses of crop and weed species of different growth forms to ultraviolet-B radiation. American Journal of Botany 77: 1354–1360. , , .
- 1994. Photocontrol of flavonoid biosynthesis. In: KendrickRE, KronenbergGH, eds. Photomorphogenesis in plants. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 733– 751. & .
- 1997. The effects of UV-B radiation on European heathland. Plant Ecology 128: 252–264. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Computer calculation of solar ultraviolet radiation at ground level. Physiologie Végetale 23: 555–561. & .
- 1971. Solar UV radiation and the growth and development of higher plants. In: GieseAC, ed. Photophysiology Vol. 6. New York, USA: Academic Press, 131–177. .
- 1994. Spectral balance and UV-B sensitivity of soybean: a field experiment. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 267–276. , , .
- 1993. The effect of exposure to enhanced UV-B radiation on the penetration of monochromatic and polychromatic UV-B radiation in leaves of Brassica napus. Physiologia Plantarum 87: 249–255. & .
- 1979. Post-secretoty determinants of sugar concentration in nectar. Plant, Cell & Environment 2: 293–308. , , , , .
- 1996. Influence of enhanced UV-B radiation on biomass allocation and pigment concentrations in leaves and reproductive structures of green-house grown Brassica rapa. Vegetatio 127: 109–116. & .
- 1999. Growth and reproduction of Antarctic vascular plants in responce to warming and UV radiation reductions in the field. Oecologia 119: 24–35.DOI: 10.1007/s004420050757 , , , .
- 1995. UV-B increases the harvest index of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1426–1433. & .
- 1998. UV-B and PAR in a grass (Lolium perenne L.) canopy. Plant Ecology 137: 13–19.DOI: 10.1023/A:1008004113346 & .
- 1996. Effect of enhanced UV-B radiation on pollen quantity, quality, and seed yield in Brassica rapa (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 573–579. & .
- 1996. The effects of increased UV-B radiation on growth, pollination success, and lifetime female fitness in two Brassica species. Oecologia 106: 284–297. & .
- 1995. Is increased UV-B a threat to crop photosynthesis and productivity? Photosynthesis Research 43: 81–92. & .
- 2001. In: StridA, KitT, eds. Flora hellenica Vol. 2. Königstein, Germany: Koeltz Scientific Books, (In press.) & .
- 1998. Differential effects of enhanced UV-B radiation on reproductive effort in two chemotypes of Mentha spicata under field conditions. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 345–351. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of enhanced UV-B radiation and elevated carbon dioxide concentrations on a sub-arctic forest heath ecosystem. Plant Ecology 128: 242–249. , , .
- 1975. Energetics of pollination. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 6: 139–170. .
- 1995. Changes in ultraviolet radiation reaching the earth’ s surface. Ambio 24: 143–152. , , , .
- 1999. Is enhanced UV-B radiation really damaging for plants? Some case studies with European Mediterranean species. In: RozemaJ, ed. Stratospheric ozone depletion; the effects of enhanced uv-b radiation on terrestrial ecosystems. Leiden, The Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 251–263. .
- 2000. Nectar amount, pollinator visit duration and pollination success in the Mediterranean shrub Cistus creticus. Annals of Botany 86: 815–820.DOI: 10.1006/anbo.2000.1241 & .
- 1997. Beneficial effects of enhanced UV-B radiation under field conditions: improvement of needle water relations and survival capacity in Pinus pinea L. seedlings during the dry Mediterranean summer. Plant Ecology 128: 100–108. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of solar UV-B radiation on growth, flowering and yield of central and southern European maize cultivars (Zea mays L.). Photochemistry and Photobiology 64: 457–463. , , .
- 1999. Perception of solar UVB radiation by phytophagous insects: behavioral responses and ecosystem implications. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 980–985. , , , .
- 1996. Effects of enhanched UV-B radiation on pea (Pisum sativum L.) grown under field conditions in the UK. Global Change Biology 2: 325–334. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Ultraviolet-B radiation and ozone effects on growth, yield, and photosynthesis of soybean. Journal of Environmental Quality 23: 83–91. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Effectiveness of UV-B radiation on the growth and physiology of field-grown soybean modified by water stress. Photochemistry and Photobiology 44: 215–219. &
- 1995. Differential effects of elevated ultraviolet-B radiation on the photochemical and reproductive performances of dicotyledonous and monocotyledonous arid-environment ephemerals. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 844–854. .
- 1994. Differential stimulation of an arid-environment winter ephemeral Dimorphotheca pluvialis (L.) Moench by ultraviolet-B radiation under nutrient limitation. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 245–255. & .
- 1996. The natural history of pollination. London, UK: Harper Collins Publishers. , , .
- 1988. Pollination ecology of Christmas Bells (Blanfordia nobilis Sm): effects of adding artificial nectar on pollen removal and seed-set. Australian Journal of Ecology 13: 279–284. , , .
- 1991. Individual variation in nectar production and its effect on fitness in Kalmia latifolia. Ecology 72: 149–155. & .
- 1998. Solar ultraviolet-B radiation affects plant–insect interactions in a natural ecosystem of Tierra del Fuego (southern Argentina). Oecologia 116: 528–535.DOI: 10.1007/s004420050618 , , , ,
- 1997. UV-B as an environmental factor in plant life: stress and regulation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution. 12: 22–28.DOI: 10.1016/S0169-5347(96)10062-8 , , , .
- 1997. Effects of solar UV-B radiation on growth, flowering and yield of central and southern European bush bean cultivars (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant Ecology 128: 115–125.DOI: 10.1023/A:1009750612676 & .
- 1998. Increased polar stratospheric ozone losses and delayed eventual recovery owing to increasing greenhouse-gas concentrations. Nature 392: 589–592.DOI: 10.1038/33385 , , .
- 1990. Growth and yield of field-grown soybean in response to enhanched exposure to ultraviolet-B radiation. Journal of Environmental Quality 19: 478–481. , , .
- 1998. Enhanced UV-B radiation increases the reproductive effort in the Mediterranean shrub Cistus creticus under field conditions. Plant Ecology 134: 91–96.DOI: 10.1023/A:1009773105854 & .
- 2000. Enhanced UV-B radiation, flower attributes and pollinator behaviour in Cistus creticus: a Mediterranean field study. Plant Ecology 147: 165–171.DOI: 10.1023/A:1009802401955 , , , .
- 1972. Studies in the Aegean flora XX. Biosystematics of the Malcolmia maritima complex. Opera Botanica 33: 1–118. .
- 1990. Effects of UV-B radiation on soybean yield and seed quality: a 6-years field study. Physiologia Plantarun 80: 5–11. , , .
- 1980. Pollen carryover, nectar rewards and pollinator behaviour with special reference to Diervilla lonicera. Oecologia 46: 68–74. & .
- 1995. Ultra-violet photoreceptors in the animal kingdom: their distribution and function. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 455–460. .
- 1997. The impact of elevated UV-B (280–320 nm) levels on the reproductio biology of a highland and a lowland population of Silene vulgaris. Plant Ecology 128: 172–179. , , , .
- 1988. Nectar production, flowering phenology and strategies for pollinaton. In: Lovett DoustJ, Lovett DoustL, eds. Plant reproductive ecology. New York, USA: Oxford University Press, 157–178. .
- 1992. Physiological sensitivity to plants along an elevational gradient to UV-B radiation. American Journal of Botany 79: 863–871. , , .