L-lactic acid: a human-signifying host cue for the anthropophilic mosquito Anopheles gambiae
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2002
Medical and Veterinary Entomology
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 91–98, March 2002
How to Cite
Dekker, T., Steib, B., Cardé, R. T. and Geier, M. (2002), L-lactic acid: a human-signifying host cue for the anthropophilic mosquito Anopheles gambiae. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 16: 91–98. doi: 10.1046/j.0269-283x.2002.00345.x
- Issue online: 4 APR 2002
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2002
- 1968 l-Lactic-acid: a mosquito attractant isolated from humans. Science, 161, 1346–1347. , , , &
- 1984 Mammalian Semiochemistry: the Investigation of Chemical Signals Between Mammals. Wiley, Chichester.
- 1969 A comparative study of the temporal patterns of cutaneous water vapour loss from some domesticated mammals, with epitrichial sweat glands. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 31, 347–363. &
- 1995 Sensilla Basiconica (grooved pegs) on the antennae of female mosquitoes: electrophysiology and morphology. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 77, 233–238.
- 1996 Sensory aspects of host location in mosquitoes. Olfaction in Mosquito–Host Interactions (ed. by G.Cardew), pp. 54–70. Ciba Foundation Symposium No. 200. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- 2001 The response of the malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae, to two components of human sweat, ammonia and l-lactic acid, in an olfactometer. Physiological Entomology, 26, 142–148. , &
- 1978 Etude d l'aggresivité d'Anopheles gambiae A en function de l'âge et du sexe des sujets humains. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 56, 147–154. , , &
- 1998 Host preferences of tsetse (Diptera: Glossinidae) based on bloodmeal identifications. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 12, 169–180. , , , , &
- 1993 A new odour-baited trap to collect host-seeking mosquitoes. Parassitologia, 35, 5–9. , , , &
- 1996 Mosquito responses to carbon dioxide in a West African Sudan savanna village. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 10, 220–227. , , , , &
- 1998 Odor-mediated host preferences of West-African mosquitoes, with particular reference to malaria vectors. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 58, 56–63. , &
- 1987 The relative efficacy of repellents against mosquito vectors of disease. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 1, 109–119. , , , , &
- 2001b Innate preference for host-odor blends modulates degree of anthropophily within the Anopheles gambiae complex (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology, 38, 868–871. , &
- 1998 Differential responses of mosquito sibling species Anopheles arabiensis and An. quadriannulatus to carbon dioxide, a man or a calf. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 12, 136–140. &
- 2001a Structure of host-odour plumes influences catch of Anopheles gambiae s.s. and Aedes aegypti in a dual-choice olfactometer. Physiological Entomology, 26, 124–134. , &
- 1999 Fine-scale resolution of closely spaced pheromone and antagonist filaments by flying male Helicoverpa zea. Journal of Comparative Physiology A, 185, 131–141.DOI: 10.1007/s003590050372 , &
- 1980 Feeding habits of anophelines (Diptera: Culicidae) in 1971–78, with reference to the human blood index: a review. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 70, 165–185. , &
- 1964 The human blood index of malaria vectors in relation to epidemiological assessment. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 30, 241–261.
- 1999 A new Y-tube olfactometer for mosquitoes to measure the attractiveness of host odours. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 92, 9–19. &
- 1999 Influence of odour plume structure on upwind flight of mosquitoes towards hosts. Journal of Experimental Biology, 202, 1639–1648. , &
- 1996 A search for components in human body odour that attract females of Aedes aegypti. Olfaction in Mosquito–Host Interactions (ed. by G.Cardew), pp. 132–144. Ciba Foundation Symposium no. 200. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. , &
- 1966 Attractiveness of men and women to Aedes aegypti and relative protection time obtained with DEET. Florida Entomologist, 49, 53–66. , &
- 1979 The ultrastructure of the sweat glands of the ox, sheep and goat during sweating and recovery. Journal of Anatomy, 129, 117–140. , &
- 1995 Differential attractiveness of isolated humans to mosquitoes in Tanzania. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 89, 604–606. , &
- 1993 Variation in attractiveness of human subjects to malaria mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Gambia. Journal of Medical Entomology, 30, 368–373. , , , &
- 1985 Eine fossile Stechmucke aus dem Unter-Oligozen von Cereste, Frankreich (Diptera: Culicidae). Palaeontologische Zeitschrift, 59, 269–276.
- 1994 Fine-scale structure of pheromone plumes modulates upwind orientation of flying moths. Nature, 369, 142–144. &
- 1997 The response of Anopheles gambiae s.l. and A. funestus (Diptera: Culicidae) to tents baited with human odour or carbon dioxide in Tanzania. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 2, 173–178. , , &
- 1997 Carbon dioxide chemotropism in mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) and its potential in vector surveillance and management programmes. Review of Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 85, 355–368. &
- 1975 Thermal influences on palmar sweating and mental influence on generalized sweating in man. Japanese Journal of Physiology, 25, 525.
- 1953 Quantitative field studies on a carbon dioxide chemotropism in mosquitoes. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2, 325–331.
- 1991 Apocrine sweat glands. Physiology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology of the Skin (ed. by L. A.Goldsmith), pp. 763–775. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1971 Glucose metabolism of the isolated eccrine sweat gland. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 56, 272–280. &
- 1973 Glucose metabolism of the isolated eccrine sweat gland. II. The relation between glucose metabolism and sodium transport. Journal of Clinical Investigations, 52, 2166–2174. &
- 1990 Mosquito attraction to substances from the skin of different humans. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 6, 406–410. , &
- 1970 Lactic acid as a factor in the attraction of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) to human hosts. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 63, 760–770. , , , , , , &
- 1982 Mammal Skin. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 2001 The effect of lactic acid on odour-related host preference of yellow fever mosquitoes. Chemical Senses, 26, 523–528. , &
- 1997 Odor-mediated flight behavior of Anopheles gambiae Giles sensu stricto and An. stephensi Liston in response to CO-2, acetone, and 1-octen-3-ol (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Insect Behavior, 10, 95–407. , &
- 1999 Odour-mediated behaviour of Afrotropical malaria mosquitoes. Annual Review of Entomology, 44, 131–157.DOI: 10.1146/annurev.ento.44.1.131 &
- 1979 Field responses of tsetse flies (Diptera: Glossinidae) to odours of men, lactic acid and carbon dioxide. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 69, 459–467.
- 1994 Reiterative responses to single strands of odour promote sustained upwind flight and odour source location by moths. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 91, 5756–5760. &