Ill-health reported by schoolchildren during questionnaire surveys in Ghana, Mozambique and Tanzania
Article first published online: 22 OCT 2003
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 8, Issue 11, pages 967–974, November 2003
How to Cite
Moestue, H., Mahumane, B., Zacher, A., Issae, W., Kihamia, C. M., Wen, S.-T., Adjei, S., Bundy, D. A. P. and Hall, A. (2003), Ill-health reported by schoolchildren during questionnaire surveys in Ghana, Mozambique and Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 8: 967–974. doi: 10.1046/j.1360-2276.2003.01113.x
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 22 OCT 2003
- 1989) Reporting errors in one-week diarrhoea recall surveys: experience from a prospective study in rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Epidemiology 18, 697–700. , & (
- 1997) The reliability of self-reported blood in urine and schistosomiasis as indicators of Schistosoma haematobium infection in school children: a study in Muheza District, Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 1180–1189. , , et al. (
- 1998) Questionnaire approach to diagnosis in developing countries. The Lancet 352, 1164–1165. (
- 1976) Comparison of morbidity interviews with a health examination survey in rural Africa. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 25, 751–758. , , & (
- 1994) Epi Info: a Word Processing, Database, and Statistics Program for Epidemiology on Microcomputers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA. , , et al. (
- 2000) Young people's health in developing countries: a neglected problem and opportunity. Health Policy and Planning 15, 137–144. & (
- 2001) Evaluation of efficacy of school-based anthelmintic treatments against anaemia in children in the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79, 695–703. , , , & (
- 1999) Blood in the urine of adolescent girls in an area of Ghana with a low prevalence of Schistosoma haematobium. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93, 411–412. & (
- 2002) A randomised trial in Mali of the effectiveness of weekly iron supplements given by teachers on the haemoglobin concentrations of schoolchildren. Public Health Nutrition 5, 413–418. , , et al. (
- 1991) Validation of the diagnosis of childhood morbidity using maternal health interviews. International Journal of Epidemiology 20, 193–198. , , & (
- 1983) Health interview surveys in developing countries: a review of the methods and results. International Journal of Epidemiology 12, 465–481. (
- 1991) Rapid, low-cost, two-step method to screen for urinary schistosomiasis at the district level: the Kilosa experience. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 69, 179–189. , , et al. (
- 2002) Questionnaires for rapid screening of schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 80, 235–242. , & (
- 2000) Control of urinary schistosomiasis: an investigation into the effective use of questionnaires to identify high-risk communities and individuals in Niger State, Nigeria. Tropical Medicine and International Health 5, 53–63. , , & (
- 2001) Malaria diagnosis and treatment administered by teachers in primary schools in Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6, 273–279. , , , & (
- 1998) Guidelines for the Evaluation of Soil-Transmitted Helminthiasis and Schistosomiasis at Community Level. (WHO/CTD/SIP/98.1) WHO, Geneva. , , , & (
- 2001) A gender perspective of self-perceived oral health in adolescents: associations with attitudes and behaviours. Community Dental Health 18, 110–116. , & (
- 2003) The effect of providing fansidar (sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine) in schools on mortality in school-age children in Malawi. The Lancet 361, 577–578. , , & (
- Partnership for Child Development (1999a) Self-diagnosis as a possible basis for treating urinary schistosomiasis: a study of schoolchildren in a rural area of the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 77, 477–483.
- Partnership for Child Development (1999b) The cost of large-scale school health programmes which deliver anthelmintics to children in Ghana and Tanzania. Acta Tropica 73, 183–204.
- 1999) Magnitude of recall bias in the estimation of immunization coverage and its determinants. Indian Pediatrics 36, 881–885. , , & (
- Red Urine Study Group (1995) Identification of High-Risk Communities for Schistosomiasis in Africa; a Multi-Country Study. (Social and Economic Research Projects report no.15) Special Program for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases. WHO, Geneva.
- 1986) Health interview surveys in developing countries: a methodological review. Studies in Family Planning 17, 78–94. & (
- UKUMTA (1997) The Self-reported Health Problems of Primary School Children in Tanga Region Assessed Using a Questionnaire Administered by Teachers, with Particular Concern for Schistosomiasis. UKUMTA Report Series No. 6. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 2000) Prevalence of eye diseases in primary school children in a rural area of Tanzania. British Journal of Ophthalmology 84, 1291–1297. , , , & (
- World Bank (1993) World Development Report 1993. Investing in Health. Oxford University Press for the World Bank, Oxford.
- 1990) Validity of the ‘ten questions’ for screening serious childhood disability: results from urban Bangladesh. International Journal of Epidemiology 19, 613–620. , , et al. (