Mapping the prevalence of sickle cell and beta thalassaemia in England: estimating and validating ethnic-specific rates
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 104, Issue 4, pages 860–867, March 1999
How to Cite
Hickman, M., Modell, B., Greengross, P., Chapman, C., Layton, M., Falconer, S. and Davies, S. C. (1999), Mapping the prevalence of sickle cell and beta thalassaemia in England: estimating and validating ethnic-specific rates. British Journal of Haematology, 104: 860–867. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2141.1999.01275.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 51991) Guidelines for the Management of Sickle Cell Disease. Unpublished W.H.O. document WHO/HDP/SCD/GL/91.2 Hereditary Diseases Programme. W.H.O., Geneva.. & . (
- 61975) Abnormal haemoglobins in South-East Staffordshire. Lancet, ii, 82.., . & . (
- 101972) Beta thalassaemia and some rare haemoglobin variants in the highlands of Scotland. Scottish Medical Journal, 18, 14–20.. & . (
- 13(Day Report) Report of a Working Group (1996) The incidence and prevalence of AIDS and prevalence of other severe HIV disease in England and Wales for 1995–1999: projections using data to the end of 1994. CDR Review, 6(1), R1–R24 (see Table 7, pR10).
- 16Department of Health (1993) Report of a Working Party of the Standing Medical Advisory Committee on Sickle Cell, Thalassaemia, and other Haemoglobinopathies. H.M.S.O., London.
- 201998) Outcomes of universal antenatal screening for the haemoglobinopathies. Journal of Medical Screening (in press).., ., ., . & . (
- 21Health Education Authority (HEA) (1988) Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia: Achieving Health Gain: Guidance for Commissioners and Providers. HEA, London.
- 23Hereditary Diseases Programme, W.H.O. (1994) Guidelines for the Control of Haemoglobin Disorders. Unpublished WHO document WHO/HDP/G/94.1. W.H.O., Geneva.
- 261985) Frequencies of Haemoglobin Variants. Oxford University Press.. (
- 281993) Concerted action on developing patient registers as a tool for improving service delivery for haemoglobin disorders. In: Health Services Research (ed. by G. N. Fracchia and M. Theophilatou). IOS Press, Amsterdam.. (
- 291996) Guidelines for screening for haemoglobin disorders: services specifications for low and high prevalence DHAs. Ethnicity and Health: Reviews of Literature and Guidance for Purchasers in the Areas of Cardiovascular Disease, Mental Health and Haemoglobinopathies, pp. 127–224. York: University of York, NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. CRD Report 5, Part 4.. & . (
- 301984) The Clinical Approach to Thalassemia. Grune & Stratton, New York.. & . (
- 321992) Community Genetics Services in Europe. W.H.O. Regional Publications, European Series No. 38, W.H.O. Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen.., . & . (
- 35National Screening Committee (1998) First report of the National Screening Committee. Department of Health.
- 361994) Sickle cell disease in Africa. Sickle Cell Disease: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice (ed. by S. H. Embury, N. M. Hebble, N. Mohandas, M. H. Steinberg), pp. 423–435. Raven Press, New York.. & . (
- 37OPCS (1993) Revised final mid-1991 population estimates for England and Wales and constituent local and health authorities based on 1991 Census results. PP1 93/2.
- 38OPCS and GRO Scotland (1993) 1991 Census: Ethnic Group and Country of Birth in Great Britain.
- 391992) Alpha thalassaemia hydrops fetalis in the UK: the importance of screening pregnant women of Chinese, other South East Asian, and Mediterranean extraction for alpha thalassaemia trait. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 99, 985–989.., ., ., ., ., ., . & . (
- 42Sickle Cell Disease Guideline Panel (1993) Sickle Cell Disease: Screening, Diagnosis, Management, and Counselling in Newborns and Infants. Clinical Practice Guideline 6. U.S. Department of Health and Human Sciences, Rockville, Maryland.
- 451974) The distribution of abnormal haemoglobin in the Indian population. Proceedings of 1st Conference of the Indian Society of Human Genetics, Vol. 1. Human Population Genetics in India, pp. 91–111. Orient Longman, Bombay.. & . (
- 46Thalassaemia Working Party of the BCSH General Haematology Task Force (1994) Guidelines for investigation of the α and β thalassaemia traits. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 47, 289–295.
- 48U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1993) Sickle Cell Disease: screening, diagnosis, management, and counselling in newborns and infants: Clinical Practice Guideline.
- 49U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989) Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: An Assessment of the Effectiveness of 169 Interventions. William & Wilkins, Baltimore.
- 50W.H.O. (1985) Update of the Progress of Haemoglobinopathies Control. Report of the W.H.O. Working Group for the Community Control of Hereditary Anaemias. Unpublished W.H.O. report HMG/WG/85.8 Hereditary Disease Programme. W.H.O., Geneva.
- 51W.H.O. (1987) The Haemoglobinopathies in Europe. W.H.O. Regional Office for Europe, IPC/MCH 110. Maternal and Child Health Division. WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen.
- 52W.H.O. (1988) The Haemoglobinopathies in Europe. A Report on Two W.H.O. Meetings. W.H.O. Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen.
- 531968) Principles and Practice of Screening for Disease. World Health Organization, Geneva.. & . (
- 541986) Screening of Hb Barts in cord blood from Guangxi province and its alpha globin gene analysis. Acta Academia Medica Sinicae, 8, 165–171.. (
- 551999) Antenatal and neonatal haemoglobinopathy screening in the U.K.: review and economic analysis. The Health Technology Assessment Panel, NHS Executive, Leeds.., ., ., ., . & . (