Guidelines for the clinical use of red cell transfusions
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2002
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 113, Issue 1, pages 24–31, April 2001
How to Cite
(2001), Guidelines for the clinical use of red cell transfusions. British Journal of Haematology, 113: 24–31. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2141.2001.02701.x
- Issue online: 12 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2002
- American College of Physicians (1992) Prudent strategies for elective red blood cell transfusion. Annals of Internal Medicine, 116, 403–406.
- American Society of Anesthiologists Task Force on Blood Component Therapy (1996) Practice guidelines for blood component therapy. Anesthiology, 84, 732–747.
- 1991) Variation in blood component practice. implications for prevention of transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease. Blood, 77, 2096–2102. , , , , , , & (
- 1990) Management of hypovolaemic shock. British Medical Journal, 300, 1453–1457. (
- 1987) The role of the haematocrit in bleeding. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 1, 182–185. & (
- 1999) Lowering the hemoglobin threshold for transfusion in coronary artery bypass procedures: effect on patient outcome. Transfusion, 39, 1070–1077. , , , , , , , & (
- 1993) Prevalence of antibodies to human T cell leukaemia/lymphoma virus in blood donors in north London. British Medical Journal, 307, 1235–1239. , , , , , , , , & (
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1988) Guidelines for transfusion for massive blood loss. Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, 10, 265–273.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1992) Guidelines for platelet transfusions. Transfusion Medicine, 2, 311–318.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1993) Guidelines for autologous transfusion. I. Pre-operative autologous donation. Transfusion Medicine, 3, 307–316.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1996) Guidelines for pre-transfusion compatibility procedures in blood transfusion laboratories. Transfusion Medicine, 6, 273–283.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1997) Guidelines for pre-operative autologous transfusion. II. Perioperative haemodilution and cell salvage. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 78, 768–771.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (BCSH) (1999) Guidelines for the administration of blood and blood components and the management of transfused patients. Transfusion Medicine, 9, 227–238.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-3148.1999.00203.x
- 1997) Review of published recommendations and guidelines for the transfusion of allogeneic red blood cells and plasma. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 156 (II Suppl.), S1–8. , , & (
- 1988) Severity of anaemia and operative mortality and morbidity. Lancet, 1, 727–729. , , & (
- 1998) A pilot randomized trial comparing symptomatic vs. hemoglobin-level-driven red blood cell transfusions following hip fracture. Transfusion, 38, 522–529. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Management of sickle cell disease: recent advances and controversies. British Journal of Haematology, 107, 2–11. (
- 1997) The functional assessment of cancer therapy-anemia (FACT-An) scale: a new tool for the assessment of outcomes in cancer anemia and fatigue. Seminars in Hematology, 34, (Suppl. 2) 13–19. (
- Consensus Conference on Red Cell Transfusion, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (1994) Consensus statement on red cell transfusion. Transfusion Medicine, 4, 177–178.
- 1994) The effect of an intraoperative treatment algorithm on physicians' transfusion practice in cardiac surgery. Transfusion, 34, 290–296.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1994.34494233575.x , & (
- 1994) Adverse consequences of blood transfusion: quantitative risk estimates. In: Blood Supply: Risk Perceptions, and Prospects for the Future (ed. by S.T.Nance), pp. 1–24. American Association of Blood Banks, Bethesda, MD. (
- 1997) Modifying physicians' transfusion practice. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 11, 27–37. (
- 2000) Haematological considerations. In: Anaesthesia for Vascular Surgery (ed. by J.Bannister & J.A.W. Wildsmith), pp. 232–250. Arnold, London. & (
- 1995) Evaluation of a combined HIV-1/2 and HTLV-I/II assay for screening blood donors. Vox Sanguinis, 68, 220–224. , & (
- 1999) Transfusion medicine. Blood transfusion. New England Journal of Medicine, 340, 438–447.DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199902113400606 , , & (
- 1998) Recombinant erythropoietin and blood transfusions in cancer chemotherapy-induced anemia. Anti-Cancer Drugs, 9, 925–932. & (
- 1997) Review of the clinical practice literature on allogeneic red blood cell transfusion. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 156, (II Suppl.), S9–S26. , , , & (
- the Transfusion Requirements in Critical Care Investigators for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group (1999) A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. New England Journal of Medicine, 340, 409–417.DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199902113400601 , , , , , , , & , &
- 1995) Efficacy of erythropoietin in the myelodysplastic syndromes: a meta-analysis of 205 patients from 17 studies. British Journal of Haematology, 89, 67–71. (
- 1995) Manipulating hemodynamics and oxygen transport in critically ill patients. New England Journal of Medicine, 333, 1074–1075.DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199510193331609 & (
- Italian Cooperative Study Group for rHuEpo in myelodysplastic syndromes (1998) A randomized double-blind placebo-controled study with subcutaneous recombinant human erythropoietin in patients with low–risk myelodysplastic syndromes. British Journal of Haematology, 103, 1070–1074.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2141.1998.01085.x
- 1992) Transfusion practice should be audited for both undertransfusion and overtransfusion. Transfusion, 32, 873–874.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1992.32993110764.x (
- 1997) Decrease in frequency of transfusion fatalities. Transfusion, 37, 243–244.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1997.37297203534.x , & (
- 1982) Uraemic bleeding. role of anaemia and beneficial effect of red cell transfusions. Lancet, i, 1013–1015.DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(82)90050-2 , , , , & (
- 1990) Erythropoietin treatment of anemia associated with multiple myeloma. New England Journal of Medicine, 322, 1693–1699. , , , , & (
- 1994) Red cell transfusion for elective surgery: a suitable case for treatment. Transfusion Medicine, 4, 247–249. (
- 1999) New variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease: the risk of transmission by blood transfusion and the potential benefit of leukocyte reduction of blood components. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 13, 1–5. (
- 1990) The differentiation of delayed serologic and delayed haemolytic transfusion reactions. incidence, long-term serologic findings, and clinical significance. Transfusion, 1990, 688–693.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1990.30891020325.x , , & (
- NHS Executive (1998) Better Blood Transfusion. Circular HSC 1998/224. NHS Executive, London.
- 1999) The β-thalassemias. New England Journal of Medicine, 341, 99–109.DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199907083410207 (
- 1990) Erythropoietin for the treatment of malignancy associated with neoplastic bone marrow infiltration. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 8, 956–962. , , , , , , , & (
- for the European Study Group of Erythropoietin Treatment in Multiple Myeloma and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (1996) Recombinant human erythropoietin in transfusion-dependent anemic patients with multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma – a randomized multicenter study. Blood, 87, 2675–2682. , , , , , , , & ,
- 1991) Treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia with recombinant human erythropoietin in cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 9, 2021–2026. , , , , , , & (
- 1985) Diagnostic and pathogenetic considerations in transfusion-related acute lung injury. Transfusion, 25, 573–577.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1985.25686071434.x & (
- on behalf of the current TTI Study Group (2000) Prospective investigation of transfusion in transmitted infection in recipients of over 20,000 units of blood. British Medical Journal, 320, 403–406. , , & ,
- 1995) The use of r-HuEpo in the treatment of anaemia related to myelodysplasia. British Journal of Haematology, 89, 831–837. , , , & (
- 1993) Pharmacology and physiology of colloids. Blood Reviews, 7, 114–120. & (
- 1990) Reports of 355 transfusion-associated deaths. 1976 through 1985. Transfusion, 37, 583–590.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1990.30790385515.x (
- 1998) Fluid resuscitation with colloid or crystalloid solutions in critically ill patients: a systematic review of randomised trials. British Medical Journal, 316, 961–964. & (
- 1990) The risk of an overt haemolytic transfusion reaction following the use of an immediate spin crossmatch. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 114, 412–414. (
- 1994) Recombinant human erythropoietin and the anemia of cancer. Blood, 84, 997–1004. (
- 2000) Management of massive blood loss: a template guideline. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 85, 487–491. , & (
- 1994) The red blood cell transfusion trigger. Physiology and clinical studies. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 118, 429–434. & (
- The Sanguis Study Group (1994) Use of blood products for elective surgery in 43 European hospitals. Transfusion Medicine, 4, 251–268.
- 1994) Effectiveness of transfusion audits and practice guidelines. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 118, 435–437. (
- 1999) The impact of new-variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease on blood transfusion practice. British Journal of Haematology, 106, 842–850.DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2141.1999.01457.x (
- 1998) The red cell transfusion trigger: has a sin of commission now become a sin of omission? Transfusion, 38, 602–610.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1998.38698326341.x , & (
- 1995) A comparison of conservative and aggressive transfusion regimens in the perioperative management of sickle cell disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 333, 206–213.DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199507273330402 , , , , , , , , & (
- 1994) What can we learn about the need for transfusion from patients who refuse blood? The experience with Jehovah's Witnesses. Transfusion, 34, 396–401.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1994.34594249050.x & (
- 1998) Letters on fluid resuscitation with colloid or crystalloid solutions. British Medical Journal, 317, 277–279. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Do. we know when to transfuse red cells to treat acute anemia? Transfusion, 38, 517–521.DOI: 10.1046/j.1537-2995.1998.38698326330.x (
- 1998) Human cardiovascular and metabolic response to acute severe isovolaemic anemia. Journal of the American Medical Association, 279, 217–221.DOI: 10.1001/jama.279.3.217 , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Serious hazards of transfusion (SHOT) initiative: analysis of the first two annual reports. British Medical Journal, 319, 16–19. , , , , , , & (