Guidelines for the use of platelet transfusions
Article first published online: 20 JUN 2003
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 122, Issue 1, pages 10–23, July 2003
How to Cite
British Committee for Standards in Haematology and Blood Transfusion Task Force (Chairman P. Kelsey) (2003), Guidelines for the use of platelet transfusions. British Journal of Haematology, 122: 10–23. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2141.2003.04468.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 20 JUN 2003
- 1976) Heparin-induced immune thrombocytopenia. New England Journal of Medicine, 295, 237–241. , & (
- 1985) High-dose intravenous immunoglobulin for post-transfusion purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 61, 149–155. , , , , , & (
- 1998) A multicenter study of platelet recovery and utilization in patients after myeloablative therapy and hematopoietic stem cell transplanation. Blood, 91, 3509–3517. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1988) Clinical factors influencing the efficacy of pooled platelet transfusions. Blood, 71, 383–387. , & (
- 1995) A comparison of filtered leucokyte-reduced and cytomegalovirus-negative blood products for the prevention of transfusion-associated CMV infection after marrow transplant. Blood, 86, 3598–3603. & (
- 2001) Alloimmune platelet refractoriness: incidence declines, unsolved problems persist. Transfusion, 41, 724–726. (
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1988) Guidelines for transfusion of massive blood loss. Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, 10, 265–273.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1992) Guidelines for platelet transfusions. Transfusion Medicine, 2, 311–318.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1996) Guidelines on gamma irradiation of blood components for the prevention of transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease. Transfusion Medicine, 6, 261–271.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1997) Guidelines for the administration of blood products: transfusion of infants and neonates. Transfusion Medicine, 7, 248.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1998) Guidelines on the clinical use of leucocyte-depleted blood components. Transfusion Medicine, 8, 59–71.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (1999) Guidelines for the administration of blood and blood components and the management of transfused patients. Transfusion Medicine, 9, 227–238.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (2003a) Guidelines for the investigation and management of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults, children and in pregnancy. British Journal of Haematology, 120, 574–596.
- British Committee for Standards in Haematology (2003b) Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of the thrombotic microangiopathic haemolytic anaemias. British Journal of Haematology, 120, 556–573.
- 1979) Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: association with a platelet-aggregating factor and arterial thromboses. American Journal of Hematology, 6, 125–133. , , , & (
- Consensus Conference on Platelet Transfusion (1998) Synopsis of background papers and consensus statement. British Journal of Haematology, 101, 609–617.
- 2000) RBC T activation and hemolysis: implications for pediatric transfusion management. Transfusion, 40, 801–812. , , , , & (
- Development Task Force of the College of American Pathologists (1994) Practice parameter for the use of fresh frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate and platelets. Journal of the American Medical Association, 271, 777–781.
- 1994) Relative importance of immune and non-immune causes of platelet refractoriness. Vox Sanguinis, 66, 200–205. , , , , & (
- 2001) Does red-cell T activation matter? British Journal of Haematology, 114, 25–30. & (
- 2000) Supportive care for patients with blood disorders. British Journal of Haematology, 111, 68–77. (
- 1991) The clinical importance of acquired abnormalities of platelet function. New England Journal of Medicine, 324, 27–39. & (
- 1990) Glanzmann's thrombasthenia: the spectrum of clinical disease. Blood, 75, 1383–1395. , & (
- 1996) Clinical results of a stringent policy on prophylactic platelet transfusion: non randomized comparative analysis in 190 bone marrow transplant patients from a single institution. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 18, 931–935. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1991) Safety of stringent prophylactic platelet transfusion policy for patients with acute leukaemia. Lancet, 388, 1223–1226. , , , & (
- 1995) The role of leukodepletion in the control of transfusion-transmitted disease. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 9, 9–19. & (
- 1987) Deleterious effects of platelet transfusions and recovery thrombocytosis in patients with thrombotic microangiopathy. Seminars in Hematology, 24, 194–201. , & (
- 1981) Hazard of platelet transfusion in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Journal of the American Medical Association, 246, 1931–1933. , , , & (
- 1997) A comparative analysis of different methods for routine blood component preparation. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 11, 116–129. , , & (
- 1997) Randomized study of prophylactic platelet transfusion threshold during induction therapy for adult acute leukaemia: 10,000/μl versus 20,000/μl. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 15, 1143–1149. , , , , & (
- 1974) The prophylactic treatment of thrombocytopenic leukaemic patients with platelets: a double blind study. Transfusion, 14, 440–446. , , & (
- 1998) Replacement of massive blood loss. Vox Sanguinis, 74, 399–407. (
- 1994) Methods for the reduction of transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus infection: filtration versus the use of seronegative donor units. Transfusion, 34, 929–934. , , & (
- 1981) Suppression of transfusion-related alloimmunization in intensively treated cancer patients. Blood, 58, 122–128. , & (
- 1997) Multiple trauma and massive transfusion. Anaesthesia, 52, 1027–1029. (
- 1998) Indications for therapeutic platelet transfusions. Blood Reviews, 12, 227–233. (
- 2001) Platelet antibodies in transfused patients. Transfusion, 41, 766–770. , , & (
- 2001) Platelet-reactive HLA antibodies associated with low post-transfusion platelet increments: a comparison between the monoclonal antibody-specific immobilization of platelet antigens assay and the lymphocytotoxicity test. Transfusion, 41, 771–774. , , , , & (
- 2001) Prevention of post-transfusion CMV in the era of universal WBC reduction: a consensus statement. Transfusion, 41, 560–569. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Guidelines on the investigation and management of thrombocytopenia in pregnancy and neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Haematology, 95, 21–26. & (
- 1992) Thromboelastography. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 69, 307–313. & (
- 2002) Immunoprophylaxis for D– patients receiving platelet transfusions from D– donors? Transfusion, 42, 136–138. (
- 1989) High-dose IgG treatment for neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Blut, 59, 145–146. , & (
- 1997) Provision of platelets for severe neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Haematology, 97, 931–932. & (
- National Blood Service Transfusion Medicine Clinical Policies Group (2000) Guidelines on ABO and RhD compatibility in relation to platelet transfusions. Blood Matters, 5, 6–9.
- National Confidential Enquiry into Peri-operative Deaths (2001) Changing the Way We Operate. The 2001 Report of the National Confidential Enquiry into Peri-operative Deaths. WWW document. URL: http://www.ncepod.org.uk/01sum.pdf.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Conference (1987) Platelet transfusion therapy. Journal of the American Medical Association, 257, 1777–1780.
- 1998) Acute bleeding after bone marrow transplantation (BMT): incidence and effect on survival: a quantitative analysis in 1,402 patients. Blood, 91, 1469–1477. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Prevention and management of platelet transfusion refractoriness. Vox Sanguinis, 76, 1–13. (
- 1988) The value of 10-minute post-transfusion platelet counts. Transfusion, 26, 66–67. , & (
- 1999) Prevention of transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus infection. Transfusion Medicine, 9, 115–123. , , & (
- 1978) In vitro and in vivo comparison of single-donor platelets and multiple-donor pooled platelet transfusions in leukemic patients. Transfusion, 18, 116–119. , , & (
- 1997) Audit of practice in platelet refractoriness. Vox Sanguinis, 73, 81–86. , , , , & (
- 1999) Recombinant VIIa is effective for bleeding and surgery in patients with Glanzmann thrombasthenia. Blood, 94, 3951–3953. , , & (
- 2001) T activation. British Journal of Haematology, 112, 259–263. & (
- for the Gruppo Itanliano Malattie Ematologiche Maligne dell'Adulto (1997) The threshold for prophylactic platelet transfusions in adults with acute myeloid leukemia. New England Journal of Medicine, 337, 1870–1875. , , , , , , , &
- 2002) The impact of transfusion of leucodepleted platelet concentrates on cytiomegalovirus disease after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. British Journal of Haematology, 118, 1124–1127. , , , , , , , & (
- 1973) Prophylactic platelet transfusions in children with acute leukaemia. Transfusion, 13, 283–290. , & (
- 1992) Reducing the risk for transfusion-transmitted cytomegalovirus infection. Annals of Internal Medicine, 116, 55–62. , , , , , & (
- for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (2001) Platelet transfusion for patients with cancer: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 19, 1519–1538. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1995) A controlled trial of tranexamic acid therapy for the reduction of bleeding during treatment of acute myeloid leukaemia. Leukemia and Lymphoma, 19, 141–144. , , , , , , & (
- 1984) Controlled trial of routine administration of platelet concentrates in cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 37, 359–364. , & (
- 1980) Controversies in platelet transfusion therapy. Annual Reviews of Medicine, 31, 509–540. (
- 2000) Management of massive blood loss: a template guideline. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 85, 487–491. , & (
- The Serious Hazards of Transfusion Steering Group (2002) Serious Hazards of Transfusion: Annual Report 2001–2002 Available as a downloadable document from: http://www.shotuk.org.
- The Trial to Reduce Alloimmunization to Platelets Study Group (1997) Leukocyte reduction and UV-B irradiation of platelets to prevent alloimmunization and refractoriness to platelet transfusion. New England Journal of Medicine, 337, 1861–1869.
- 1994) Paired in vitro and in vivo comparison of apheresis and recovered platelet concentrates stored for five days. Journal of Clinical Apheresis, 9, 189–194. , , & (
- UK Blood Transfusion Services/National Institute for Biological Standards and Controls (UKBTS/NIBSC) (2002) Guidelines for the Blood Transfusion Service, 6th edn. The Stationery Office, UK.
- 1998) Safety and cost effectiveness of a 10 × 109/l trigger for prophylactic platelet transfusions compared with the traditional 20 × 109/l trigger: a prospective comparative trial in 105 patients with acute myeloid leukaemia. Blood, 91, 3601–3606. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: towards consensus. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 79, 1–7. , & (