Close association of RGR, leaf and root morphology, seed mass and shade tolerance in seedlings of nine boreal tree species grown in high and low light
Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2002
1998 British Ecological Society
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 327–338, June 1998
How to Cite
Reich, P. B., Tjoelker, M. G., Walters, M. B., Vanderklein, D. W. and Buschena, C. (1998), Close association of RGR, leaf and root morphology, seed mass and shade tolerance in seedlings of nine boreal tree species grown in high and low light. Functional Ecology, 12: 327–338. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2435.1998.00208.x
- Issue online: 28 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 28 MAR 2002
- 21994) Coping with environmental heterogeneity: the physiological ecology of tree seedling regeneration across the gap-understory continuum. Exploitation of Environmental Heterogeneity by Plants (eds M.M. Caldwell & R.W. Pearcy), pp. 349–390. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego.&
- 31989) The significance of size and morphology of root systems for nutrient acquisition and competition. Causes and Consequences of Variation in Growth Rate and Productivity of Higher Plants (eds H. Lambers, M.L. Cambridge, H. Konings & T.L. Pons), pp. 299–311. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague.
- 41990) Silvics of North America. Agricultural Handbook 654. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC.&
- 61993) Functional role of growth forms in ecosystem and global processes. Scaling Physiological Processes: Leaf to Globe (eds J.B. Ehleringer & C.B. Field), pp. 287–312. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 71983) Habitat and leaf habit as determinants of growth, nutrient absorption, and nutrient use by Alaskan taiga forest species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 12, 1818–1826.&
- 121972) The Quantitative Analysis of Plant Growth. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 131994) Fine root dynamics in a northern hardwood forest ecosystem, Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, NH. Journal of Ecology 12, 533– 548.&
- 161975) Relative growth rate: its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 12, 393–422.&
- 181992) Root system analysis of seedlings of seven tree species from a tropical dry forest in Mexico. Trees 12, 77–82., ,
- 191982) Plant Growth Curves. The Functional Approach to Growth Analysis. Edward Arnold, London.
- 201987) Growth and partitioning. New Phytologist 12 (Suppl), 235–249.&
- 251993) Effects of soil disturbance on vegetation recovery and nutrient accumulation following whole-tree harvest of a northern hardwood ecosystem. Journal of Applied Ecology 12, 661– 675., ,
- 271988) The effect of canopy gaps on growth and morphology of seedlings of rain forest species. Oecologia 12, 625–632.&
- 361990a) A test of the Tilman model of plant strategies: relative growth rate and biomass partitioning. American Naturalist 12, 139–153.&