Aerial distribution, flight behaviour and eggload: their inter-relationship during dispersal by the sweetpotato whitefly
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 741–750, September 1998
How to Cite
Isaacs, R. and Byrne, D. N. (1998), Aerial distribution, flight behaviour and eggload: their inter-relationship during dispersal by the sweetpotato whitefly. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 741–750. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00236.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1996 Spatiotemporal modelling of whitefly dynamics in a regional cropping system using satellite data. Bemisia 1995: Taxonomy, Biology, Damage Control and Management (eds D.Gerling & R.T.Mayer), pp. 111 124. Intercept, Andover. , , , ,
- 1978The Evolutionary Ecology of Animal Migration. Hodder & Stoughton, London.
- 1978The GLIM System, Release 3, Generalized Linear Interactive Modelling. Oxford Numerical Algorithms Group, Oxford. &
- 1988 Patterns in diel flight activity of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: aleyrodidae) in cropping systems in southern California. Environmental Entomology, 17, 225 228. , , ,
- 1996 Survival of Bemisia tabaci adults under different climatic conditions. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 80, 511 516. , ,
- 1993 Flight behaviour of Bemisia tabaci in a vertical flight chamber: effect of time of day, sex, age and host quality. Physiological Entomology, 18, 223 232. &
- 1995 Behavioral, morphological, and physiological traits associated with migratory Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: aleyrodidae). Journal of Insect Behavior, 8, 251 267. , ,
- 1995 Wind flow patterns at the University of Arizona Agricultural Centers. Technical Bulletin 268, University of Arizona Experiment Station. , ,
- 1996 Examination of short-range migration by Bemisia. Bemisia 1995: Taxonomy, Biology, Damage Control and Management (eds D.Gerling & R.T.Mayer), pp. 17 28. Intercept, Andover. &
- 1996 Localized migration and dispersal by the sweet potato whitefly, Bemisia tabaci. Oecologia, 105, 320 328. , , ,
- 1987 Similarity in flight activity rhythms in coexisting species of Aleyrodidae, Bemisia tabaci and Trialeurodes abutilonea. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 43, 215 219. &
- 1986 Impact of trap design and placement when monitoring for the bandedwinged whitefly and the sweetpotato whitefly (Homoptera: aleyrodidae). Environmental Entomology, 15, 300 304. , ,
- 1993GLIM for Ecologists. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1980 Why are most insects short fliers? Evolutionary Theory, 5, 103 111.
- 1996Migration. The Biology of Life on the Move. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1988 The influence of atmospheric structure and motions on insect migration. Annual Review of Entomology, 33, 183 210. &
- 1997 Behaviour and ecological genetics of wind-borne migration of insects. Annual Review of Entomology, 42, 475 502.
- 1984 Yellow traps for evaluating the population levels and dispersal patterns of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Homoptera: aleyrodidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 77, 753 759. &
- 1961 Airborne movement of pink bollworm and other arthropods. Technical Bulletin of the United States Department of Agriculture, no. 1255. &
- 1977 Dispersal in stable habitats. Nature, 269, 578 581. &
- 1953 Aphid migration in relation to weather. Biological Reviews, 29, 87 118.
- 1969Migration and Dispersal of Insects by Flight. Methuen Ltd, London.
- 1985 Migration, behavioral and ecological. Migration: Mechanisms and Adaptive Significance (ed. M.A.Rankin), pp. 5 27. Contributions in Marine Science, (Suppl. 27).
- 1993 The relative importance of short- and long-range movement of flying aphids. Biological Reviews, 68, 291 311. , , , , ,
- 1985 Experimental analysis of individual behavior as a means to understanding population dispersal. The Movement and Dispersal of Agriculturally Important Biotic Agents. (eds D.R.Mackenzie, C.S.Barfield, G.G.Kennedy, R.D.Berger & D.J.Taranto), pp. 145 150. Claitors Publishing, Baton Rouge. &
- 1984 Flight behavior and color-trap preference of Parabemisia myricae (Kuwana) (Homoptera: aleyrodidae) in a citrus orchard. Environmental Entomology, 17, 167 170. &
- 1953Fundamentals of Ecology. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- 1989 Hormonal control of flight. Insect Flight (eds G.J.Goldsworthy & C.H.Wheeler), pp. 139 163. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- 1991 Endocrine effects on migration. American Zoologist, 31, 217 230.
- 1981Biometry. The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. W.H. Freeman, New York. &
- 1978Ecological Methods, with Particular Reference to the Study of Insect Populations. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1983 Insect migration as a paradigm for survival by movement. The Ecology of Animal Movement. (eds I.R.Swingland & P.J.Greenwood), pp. 181 214. Clarendon Press, Oxford. &
- 1984 The effect of temperature and wind on the flight activity of cereal aphids. Annals of Applied Biology, 104, 17 26. &